• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Whooo Hoooo!!!
Got some new tires ordered today so we can move this rascal around without messing up the rims. Tires should be in next Wednesday or Thursday. I'm using 7:50 X 20 instead of 7:00 X 20 because all the 7:00's we found were farm type tires and the 7:50's are street tread sorta like what's on the truck now.

STEP 1 - The plan is to remove the tires/rims and block the truck up while I get the old tires off the rims, get the rims blasted/painted, and then install the new tires.

STEP 2 - Remove the engine/trans as an assembly and store until we can get to it.

STEP 3 - Take the rest of the truck 120 miles north to Zout's AO so he can work his magic while we are working ours.:naner:

P.S. This is NOT a timed event but I hope to have the truck semi-ready for the GA Rally and/or the Veterans Parade this year.

rickf

I cannot believe how straight that thing is let alone how solid. Somebody thinks about cutting a hole in the side and I will be taking a road trip with bat in hand!!!!! It is just to fugly to cut.

zout

Ice cream dispensing door already procured - hyd lift arms for the vendor ice cream swing door and cut out pattern already in hand for the passenger side rear panel - them 3 windows suck anyhow - besides there are three more to look at on the other side.

PB - I have been checking out health dept auth'd flooring - easy to mop up ice cream spills and stainless steel counters.

Door is this style imagesMC11CQMA.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Ice cream dispensing door already procured - hyd lift arms for the vendor ice cream swing door and cut out pattern already in hand for the passenger side rear panel - them 3 windows suck anyhow - besides there are three more to look at on the other side.
PB - I have been checking out health dept auth'd flooring - easy to mop up ice cream spills and stainless steel counters. Door is this style View attachment 478116
Just so rickf doesn't stroke out and/or bash anybody with his bat let me just tell ya. The ice cream truck thingy is just a joke.

BUT! I still might consider having a small freezer with ice cream inside at the GA Rally. After all...who doesn't like ice cream?

I guarantee this truck WILL NOT be molested or harmed in any way!:papabear:

Last edited:

KaiserM109

PB - I have been checking out health dept auth'd flooring - easy to mop up ice cream spills and stainless steel counters.

Door is this style View attachment 478116
If you are going to re-purpose the truck, how about making it into an off-road camper like I’m trying to do with my M109?

I have to say that it is the ugliest truck I have seen in quite a while, even uglier than an M211! I LOVE IT!

zout

I almost had RickF as a helper PB and you went and ruined it - he was almost a sure thing to head down to lend a hand - I bet I could have had his attention all through the re-do or whatever ya call it. He would have stuck around just to make sure I never picked up the air saw and started in on the flippy door thingy.

I might even stash me a cooler in there with some ice cream while I am working on it - Doghead is handy once in a while.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
If you are going to re-purpose the truck, how about making it into an off-road camper like I’m trying to do with my M109?

I have to say that it is the ugliest truck I have seen in quite a while, even uglier than an M211! I LOVE IT!
1. We already have an off-road camper...M185A3 converted.:D

2. Don't be a hater! I have 2 - 1951 M211's and they are not ugly (IMO).:beer:

3. I'll have to admit, the K18-C is one fugly vehicle but they are so few and far between I just have to love it! Sorta like an ugly red-headed step child!:shrugs:

KaiserM109

I know that the engine in that beast must be terribly anemic and that vehicle has huge historic value if restored to original condition. That being said, wouldn't it be fun to give it a serious power train?

rickf

I almost had RickF as a helper PB and you went and ruined it - he was almost a sure thing to head down to lend a hand - I bet I could have had his attention all through the re-do or whatever ya call it. He would have stuck around just to make sure I never picked up the air saw and started in on the flippy door thingy.

I might even stash me a cooler in there with some ice cream while I am working on it - Doghead is handy once in a while.
Careful what you wish for Zout, you may see me there yet. I have about had with plowing and retirement is looking better every day. I could load up the RV and be down there before you know it.

zout

Bring all ya got big boy :hammer:
Besides I might learn something - gotta do that before I grow up. Place to plug in by the garage and kick you out when its done and parked in front of the house again when PB and CAMO come to get it - now that is PRICELESS.

zout

Indeed Swiss's 5 ton is plucking along - tenative plans to head to CAMO March 1st to take some detailed pics so I can get my head wrapped around the project - besides being able to get some good before and after pics as well.

Another good reason is I need to get out of here for a day and see some real people and friends and some good SOS for breakfast.

Write the date on your calender PB. See if I can talk Deb or one of the squirrels to ride down with me.

Did I mention Deb has me on a diet now that she knows I have two project and possibly 3 - whoop-ass.jpg

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Just a small update:

STEP 1 - INITIATED!
Found some tires. Not the 7:00 X 20's I wanted, but 7:50 X 20's...close enough. The tire company I use for all my wreckers tires are giving me the tires, tubes and flaps for 5% above their cost and mounting the tires for free as we use all our MV's to represent Veterans at events around here and other places. Besides, the manager's son loves to come over and pay in the MV's.[thumbzup]

Anyhoo, yesterday we loaded the ole girl up and dropped her off (it's only about 1/4 mile down the street) and they will mount the tires as time permits.

When they get the old tires off they will let me know the condition of the rims so I can get them blasted or whatever before the new tires are mounted. I have no idea what I'll do if one or more of the rims are bad!:popcorn:

Here's a couple of pics just to keep you interested:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks