• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

firedude

Computer suppose to be done tomorrow where I can pick it up - then get it hooked up and see all I have to do to get everything back on it.

Did I mention how many pics of the KC I have on Debs camera to post up !!!!!!!!! What a shame you cannot see them.

Rear interior paneling all removed - lot of ants - cockroaches - wasp nests under all that wood. See some major sealing issue that I will have to deal with upon assembly.
The rear roll up windows just shed water down that exterior wall on the inside just like you car door seals do - drains on the bottom were long gone filled with pine straw - soundcoating that has shed away over the years (maybe from all them rocks breaking the glass broke it loose).

Smells better every day in the back getting rid of that rotten wood - sheds apart just like wet paper.

Of course you could see all of this - IF I were able to post ALL these pictures up.
be cautious with that grey sound padding, mine looks like asbestos and it is everywhere.

Need a close-up of that vent.
I will be happy to get you some close ups of anything you want.

Last edited:

firedude

I don't know for sure, but the piece under the engine cover I will bet money is. gloves and mask and a vacuum, not pressurized air if you can help it.

Tin Medic

Let me jump on Firedudes comments. As a HAZMAT Officer I can can pretty much guarantee anything under the hood will contain asbestos and most likely the wall insulation probably will too.

steelypip

I'm usually one to talk trash about asbestos paranoia and lawyers, but this is probably the nasty stuff -friable and up near your face. Please use appropriate protection - it's just about as bad as stuff you can catch from not using the other sort of protection...

I'd probably set up the biggest exhaust fan I could find in the back door area (one of those 4' dia hurricane fans would be just right), seal it to the walls, and work from the front to the rear, making sure that nobody you cared about was downwind...

firedude

I plan to moisten it so it doesn't get airborn and suck it into a shopvac with plastic liner. from there it will go into a couple 5 gal buckets. I will seal and label them for proper disposal later.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Thanks for the warnings fellers.[thumbzup] You know, I've never even considered hazards like asbestos when working with older MVs (or any MV). :cookoo:

I don't remember seeing any insulation etc., in the truck but it's probably there sagged down behind that old wooden paneling.:-

I'm sure Commander Warp will take appropriate measures to do the job safely and correctly. He HAS to!! I just know sometime soon another "gotta have" project is gonna pop up and I'm gonna need him around to make it happen!:popcorn:(

zout

Like TWM said "I love the smell of Asbestos in the morning". Give's the Crown a little "fibre" to wash it down with.

Easy fella's - the black stuff on the interior walls was sprayed on and it was crappy anyhow - its rubberized and no texture to it where it appeared to have that nasty stuff in it - having worked on trucks nearly my entire life I absolutely remember Clutch's - Brakes Shoes in the early years changing them out and some knucklehead in the shop would take their air gun and start cleaning housings blowing that crap all over the shop - no one knew back then like we know now. So doing a clutch or brake job on these I would be surely putting on the air supply helmet for.

No engine cover that contained any form of insulation on it - no other form of sound absorbant or heat barriers left or sign of their decay over the years. Everything was sprayed down in soap first upon parts removal then pressure washed.

Did I mention I use to spray laquers in the early years with no mask along with primers - at the Chopper Shop. Ahh the good ole years.

Did I mention I get my computer back today - pick up on the way home and work on that because its suppose to turn butt arse cold here again tonight and snow in the Mtn's. See if I can get those gobs of pictures up for ya.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Like TWM said "I love the smell of Asbestos in the morning". Give's the Crown a little "fibre" to wash it down with.
Easy fella's - the black stuff on the interior walls was sprayed on and it was crappy anyhow - its rubberized and no texture to it where it appeared to have that nasty stuff in it - having worked on trucks nearly my entire life I absolutely remember Clutch's - Brakes Shoes in the early years changing them out and some knucklehead in the shop would take their air gun and start cleaning housings blowing that crap all over the shop - no one knew back then like we know now. So doing a clutch or brake job on these I would be surely putting on the air supply helmet for.
No engine cover that contained any form of insulation on it - no other form of sound absorbant or heat barriers left or sign of their decay over the years. Everything was sprayed down in soap first upon parts removal then pressure washed.
Did I mention I use to spray laquers in the early years with no mask along with primers - at the Chopper Shop. Ahh the good ole years.
Did I mention I get my computer back today - pick up on the way home and work on that because its suppose to turn butt arse cold here again tonight and snow in the Mtn's. See if I can get those gobs of pictures up for ya.
See...I had faith in ya to do the right thing on this project.[thumbzup]

Oh...did you notice me stepping off the area around the garage when I dropped the K-18C?? I was doing some quick computations to see if the DUKW would fit in that area in front...I think it will JUST make it!!:jumpin:

zout

PB I saw you stepping something off - but my neighbor did come last night and grade off the top of the hill all the way down to the garage so it is smooth running - now the DUKW will be able slide right in.

Tin Medic - when you see the pic's you'll realize I am not a slacker (I just appear that way). Besides that I run 2 OTR truck fleets and and 3 LTL divisions during my normal life - even when down working on stuff my cell goes off almost all the time handling calls with phone in one hand and tools in the other. That stuff is all done in my spare time.

Did I mention you might get to see pics tonight !!

zout

Did I mention I HAVE MY PC BACK - whooooooo hoooo.
Did not go down to the truck tonight - spent time updating software - fixing stuff that needed fixing on this POS PC but I love it (hugs and kiss's its workin again) did I mention whooooooo hooooooooo.

SO now that Deb gave me her Camera - she told me she DELETED all the pictures as she thought I had them on her laptop - bummer

zout

AHH just kidding - here ya go from Sat afternoon till last night endeavors:
might be a couple pages but it will get ya all updated to what is happening.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks