• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

ChevyC60

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I promise not to park the K-18 in the woods so some bastage kid can shoot them new windows out!!:roll:

We are gonna pull that other 270CI block out of the trailer tomorrow and take a close look at it. If it looks ok I'm gonna turn it in to the machine shop and do whatever needs to be done. That's a super thick block so I'm willing to bore 60 over but no more than that.
Gonna turn one of the heads in also and get it up to snuff so we can put it back together when we get everything needed.

Those sure are some weird looking regulators!!:roll:
I have a 270CI head that I had rebuilt and never used if you are interested.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I have a 270CI head that I had rebuilt and never used if you are interested.
Thank you for the offer Sir but I'm afraid by the time I paid you a reasonable price for the rebuilt head and paid shipping etc., it would be as/more cost effective to get one of mine done here as we have a machine shop that gives us super rates because of what we do with our MVs. (BUT, I haven't priced it yet).

Plus, I need to wait and see if that other 270 block can be used.:sad:

Just for grins and giggles, could you PM me a price on the head and shipping to my business (FEDEX or UPS) to 31901??

Thanks again for the offer.

Last edited:

zout

First set of glass (3) all trimmed off and tapped off for paint - second set of 3 assembled and let dry 24 hrs before attacking them - then get them all into paint.

Pile of rubble is just from the 6 pieces of glass - anyone want to BID per pound for a jar of K18 C - will send a jar as a collectors item.

All but the roof of the K wet sanded with 320 and then 600 - will get the roof maybe tomorrow night.

Got the windshield framework into 3M Seam Sealer - this is OEM chit that is used on new card and I believe its nearly $40 per quart. When you restore a car this is what is used and there is even a special brush used and strokes - them judges even look at that kind of stuff - way toooooo fussy for me.

5 of the back window regulators are operative and running smooth - last one is holding out on me and I left it stewing in the Evapo Rust just to kick its arse to submission.

I see some things getting assembled later this week into this coming weekend which will totally change the look of the K. It might even get its last coats of paint - we'll see.IMG_1428.jpgIMG_1429.jpgIMG_1430.jpgIMG_1431.jpgIMG_1432.jpgIMG_1433.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Dammitman!!! You get more work done by 09:00 in one day than I get done in a friggin year!!!aua I SILL can't believe that's the same truck I brought up there about a month ago!:beer:

jasonjc

Hey Zout is that new window channel a stock item you got or did you have to make it? I need to make some new windows for my M129 trailer.

Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I had the drive you have to get things done.

zout

The metal channel the seal itself fits into were all made from scratch. The seal that fits inside this channel was procured from Restoration Services out of PA. You can download their catalog on line and they have GOBS of stuff. Another place is called Steele and they sure like the price of their products and no WIH I would consider buying from them - I would just as soon melt my own rubber than pay them ridiculous prices.

Springs for the regulators were gotten from C&G Restorations.
Parts should be hitting the door by the end of this week.

As for: I wish I had the drive you have to get things done.

Dave just runs at his speed is all - no big deal - its all just a walk in the park.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Wow!! Those frames and regulators look brand new!!:beer: I have a feeling this truck will look almost like it did in August 1941!!:goodjob:

Just so you folks know, I got outbid on a radio set that was like part of the system the truck had.:sad: Somebody wanted it pretty bad! Oh well, maybe I can piece it together when everything else is done.

Wolfen

Wow!! Those frames and regulators look brand new!!:beer: I have a feeling this truck will look almost like it did in August 1941!!:goodjob:

Just so you folks know, I got outbid on a radio set that was like part of the system the truck had.:sad: Somebody wanted it pretty bad! Oh well, maybe I can piece it together when everything else is done.
That's to bad PB. Better luck next time.

zout

4 springs for the regulators arrived yesterday - other 4 are back ordered and will ship when they come in.

Get these rear windows set aside till the felt inner channel seals arrive. Get onto the box wiping it down and see about getting some final coats of paint on it.
Couple pieces in the cab @overhead panel that covers the hinges and wipers needs some repair before attempting to get paint on it - due to the windshield being open 40 yrs that tray up there is FULL of rust and corrosion - the panel that covers it was starting to rot as well.

I've got all the floor panels set aside to blast these as well - then get them into bare metal 2k primer and then into final paint at some point.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I've waited about as long as I can and BabyBear is asking to see "Uncle Dave" again...so I might have to ask "The Boss" if we can sneak off and come visit the truck...er...I mean "Uncle Dave" soon.:jumpin:

I know the WC-22 turned out super well and I REALLY appreciate all the hard work the Commander put into it, but there are others around...even similar ones for sale on EBAY etc. However, THIS truck is so darn rare that I can't even find many pictures of it and just as few articles on it's use and capabilities.

I said that to say this: The K18-C has already taken lead in the "my favorite" contest of all my military vehicles.:driver: Yup...ABOVE the DUKW, WC-22, MB, and is gaining on the Guntruck.:shock:

If we ever find/make that goofy looking grill guard and get it installed I think the "contest" in my head will be decided.:drool:

Attachments

zout

AHHHH - your grille brush guard is already in the drawing stage from all the photo's - measurements by looking at them pictures and laying it out on the K18 C - just hang onto your britches there IFS - your shock and awe is not over :clinto:

steelypip

The COE is a funky/cool/ugly truck as it is. Add on that almost rococo brush guard and you elevate the thing to high art. I look forward to seeing it get its most distinguishing characteristic back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks