• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Nice radio you picked up. Keep your eye out for an EE8 field phone in a leather case. Even if the case is in poor condition let me know I own a leather shop where we do repair and restoration. Also look for a brass morse code key and one of them lolly pop microphones. Maybe even a field phone switchboard to put in there. Just fill it up with radio brick brack and everyone will go ooohhhh aaaaahhh. :)
There are three EE8's and the code key set for sale (somewhere) as we speak...I'm just waiting to pounce on em!:roll:

I don't really want to fill the truck with ooohhh aaaahhh stuff as much as I want to get some period correct equipment if possible....I'm making progress!!:papabear:

zout

I popped PB a pic of the requested numbering for the hood this morning for a thumbs up so I can get these on tonight.

Other than that - blasting to proceed on the bottom side of the interior of the box framework - differential so I can get these into primer and paint - at this pace I see the flooring starting to be installed into this 3 day weekend.

Waiting on the two pieces of cab doors window run channel from Steele Rubber Products before I can assemble these - I do have the cab flooring laid out to blast and like I told PB there are solid pieces of asbestos on these two sections.

:tigger:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I just read the text Commander. The lettering looks jam up and jelly tight Bro...Let's do it!! Are you planning to use the dull blue for the lettering?

I think we should just leave the asbestos in place on the floor panels if you think it's OK. Heck... I betcha something else kills me before the asbestos gets a chance!:naner:

That truck is REALLY starting to "POP" as MB says...oh...and have I said thank you this week??
:tigger:

Last edited:

zout

Asbestos is fine - solid and not deterioating nor is it flaking - so all is well and due to heat I fully agree to leave it alone - its locked in on the bottom side of the floor panels anyhow.

Roger that on the confirmation of stencile - all's a go.

Yeah you've said thanks too many times already - my thanks is seeing your's and everyone else's when the final day comes to pick it up - I'll just sit back and watch and that is all it takes for me.

nattieleather

Just wonder when you getting all the radios set up will you be able to say "Papabear calling Goldilocks....Papabear calling Goldilocks come in Goldilocks..." :rofl:

zout

Just got done with that thread about TIgger and trying to type chit with tearing running down my face and trying to be touch - its not working. I will miss my friend.

Anyhow - the proper cab door seals I ordered due to my neglect came today - I got one installed along with all the door panel that was already done - window runs just so fricking baby smooth cool.

Got the stencils on the hood - taped - masked - painted - all the chit pulled off to REVEAL the results - hope you like them.

I see stuff coming together as I knew it would besides the delay of PB ordering me to take a break and waiting for them seals - WE are on track for a Killer K-18 - I see good things taking place this Memorial Day weekend and what an honor it is to be able to work on this as I remember in Honor of those that served - its not BS - its just how I feel to working on this stuff.

OK - I'm done - here are your pics ya couch potatoesIMG_1528.jpgIMG_1529.jpgIMG_1530.jpgIMG_1531.jpgIMG_1532.jpgIMG_1533.jpgIMG_1534.jpgIMG_1535.jpg

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's amazing that stuff to rebuild and replace parts and sections of the old girl are available!! You got the right connections, that's for sure!! Looks really sharp!! Thanks for sharing all your hard work with us "couch potatoes" LOL

God bless,
Tony

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
It's amazing that stuff to rebuild and replace parts and sections of the old girl are available!! You got the right connections, that's for sure!! Looks really sharp!! Thanks for sharing all your hard work with us "couch potatoes" LOL God bless, Tony
WOW Zout!!! Just friggin WOW!!!:goodjob:

Tony, let me tell you what I have learned in my short time on earth (OK...short may be debatable). God will provide what you need...and maybe even a little more...if you are pure of heart and mind (or close) and HE does not expect you to know how to do everything, so he will provide the connections you need to get the job done...if you trust in HIM.

SOMEBODY realized that somebody else would eventually want/need all this stuff and kept if from the scrapper...offering the saver some of what they needed.

I truly believe God has guided me to the CAMO Crew, Zout, TWM, some of the Guntruckers, you, and other members of SS as well as making that "little more" I spoke of available. I often wonder how a poor, semi educated share cropper from Kentucky could have ended up where I am and have the experienced friends I have.

Some folks may call it fate, some may call it luck, I call it Devine Guidance and I thank HIM everyday for guiding me and my family toward the friends we have.

Last edited:

zout

Breaker/Breaker 19 - calling PB

Oh that's right its suppose to be CQ/CQ - anyhow he'll have time to learn.

So last night I'm wondering why the window when installed and the regulator on - WHY the window going down is tilting and not going down horizontal the full length. I'll flat tell ya I forgot there are TWO regulator rollers on the arm and I had only one of them attached - so after having a cold brew from my Sponsor and looking at the second one on the table to see what the heck was happening I had to disassemble the pieces to fit the second roller in. Anyone that worked on an overhead door and rollers knows how this needed to snap into place and then close up the little bent metal.

Just to let you know not everything goes ok the first time.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter

So last night I'm wondering why the window when installed and the regulator on - WHY the window going down is tilting and not going down horizontal the full length. I'll flat tell ya I forgot there are TWO regulator rollers on the arm and I had only one of them attached - so after having a cold brew from my Sponsor and looking at the second one on the table to see what the heck was happening I had to disassemble the pieces to fit the second roller in. Anyone that worked on an overhead door and rollers knows how this needed to snap into place and then close up the little bent metal.

Omg I am shocked!! Even commander Zout has to fight with stuff to get it to work sometimes:). The next one will be easier

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG

Yeah...like the time I rebuilt the 350CI Chevy engine, reattached the tranny dropped it in the car, hooked everything else, hit the ignition switch...and no joy, just a starter spinning like crazy!!:roll:

Jeez...who wouldda thunk a flywheel was so important??:papabear: OH, an don't forget the clutch pack that was bolted to it.:roll:

Attachments

Last edited:

Reckless

Wow! That thing has come a LONG way since I first saw it at CAMO. It will be a mighty fine truck when he's all done Larry, great work Dave!

zout

Boy if I could actually get something done we might have more folks joining us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

two things to cover - FIRST is Adam got so ticked off how I painted the glass on PB's K and several other things that seemed inappropriate he decided to pick up his M37 for me not to work on it when it becomes time - I guess he's taking to someone better - lots of folks around better than me for sure.

Got PB's pass door completed and the drivers door fully assembled - got the underside and topside of the box area blasted tonight and in primer and in paint - GUESS WHAT TOMORROW BRINGS ?? I smell wood burning.
Once the box is done its onto the cab and that means getting back to that ugly windshield work ---- geeeze

And here are your picsIMG_1536.jpgIMG_1537.jpgIMG_1538.jpgIMG_1539.jpgIMG_1540.jpgIMG_1541.jpgIMG_1542.jpgIMG_1543.jpgIMG_1544.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately, I have been out of internet access for 4 days and have some catching up to do. So my observations are:

1. Based on the number of cans from your sponsor you must be using it for paint reducer. No one could drink that much. :shock:

2. The paintwork is just superb but I kinda think you should have left the original patina.

3. The 3rd Army insignia's came out absolutely outstanding.

Glad to be home. Now get to work.....

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two things to cover - FIRST is Adam got so ticked off how I painted the glass on PB's K and several other things that seemed inappropriate he decided to pick up his M37 for me not to work on it when it becomes time - I guess he's taking to someone better - lots of folks around better than me for sure.

I talked to Adam today and he described the problems that he saw with your work. Now you know the respect I have for you and your work but I do think Adam has a legitimate gripe and I support his decision to go elsewhere. There are more fish in the sea.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks