• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

zout

Just for giggles - go back and see pics on posts 168 & 169. Above is what PB - BB & Tony saw today - it was great to see them all and get a very nice FFC lunch as well.

zout

The insulation is called Cellulose in the form of 1/8th inch wood paneling. Why there is nothing behind the panels is covered long ago when describing about the vans side windows.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Let's see.... surprised, stunned, amazed, awestruck, bewildered, shocked, thankful, I guess that about covers how I felt when we walked down to the truck to take a look see. Believe me folks, those pics do NOT do the Commander's work justice, you just gotta see it in person. :not worthy:

Yep, it was a good day. Tony, BabyBear and I stopped in Tennessee and got some KFC and we all sat down and had a nice lunch and told lies and made plans.
After lunch and a grand tour of the K-18, BB worked off his lunch by chasing/fighting the bowling ball (the ball won), while the Commander made Tony and I load up about a ton of junk laying in his garage....(I'm kinda thinking we took more stuff than was ours cause that one ton dually was squatting when we left).:shock:

Again...here's to you Commander::beer:

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

I've still gotta hole saw cut out the door locks - drill a couple holes to remount that ball hitch once I have it blasted down - finish some panel screws - get some edging caulk down and get some epoxy on it. PB still has the very rear windows templates & I have the seal but I need to make sure going to single pane is still the same dimensions - we'll see tomorrow and this will put a halt to any more rain sneaking in.

The very rear - TWM graciously sent PB a couple tail lights - gotta get them mounted in and the covers blasted up and painted yet. Access hole needs cutting for the fuel tank and its cover blasted and painted.

If you look at the rear wall - there are covers over the windows the panels have to go under - these panels are spot welded into place with the window seal lip that gets roped in - tough area to fit wood back into.

Just lots of smaller stuff to keep picking at to finish up the back before I give the cab undivided attention.

Windshield glass gets sent out Monday - once back its framework gets finished up - the window crank mechanism should be coming back in a week totally rebuilt.

Then get all that paneling epoxied up.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
PB still has the very rear windows templates & I have the seal but I need to make sure going to single pane is still the same dimensions - we'll see tomorrow and this will put a halt to any more rain sneaking in.

The very rear - TWM graciously sent PB a couple tail lights - gotta get them mounted in and the covers blasted up and painted yet. Access hole needs cutting for the fuel tank and its cover blasted and painted.

OK wait Commander. Are you saying the very rear window templates are in with the windows we picked up yesterday for disposal? I'm confused by your post. I'll hold on to all of the glass until you say chunk it.:popcorn:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's see.... surprised, stunned, amazed, awestruck, bewildered, shocked, thankful, I guess that about covers how I felt when we walked down to the truck to take a look see. Believe me folks, those pics do NOT do the Commander's work justice, you just gotta see it in person. :not worthy:

Yep, it was a good day. Tony, BabyBear and I stopped in Tennessee and got some KFC and we all sat down and had a nice lunch and told lies and made plans.
After lunch and a grand tour of the K-19, BB worked off his lunch by chasing/fighting the bowling ball (the ball won), while the Commander made Tony and I load up about a ton of junk laying in his garage....(I'm kinda thinking we took more stuff than was ours cause that one ton dually was squatting when we left).:shock:

Again...here's to you Commander::beer:
You confused Bill with your typo!

GatorBill

Ha Ha Ha all good guys on the K-19 typo. It did give me a great rush though. I think they were made in Indiana where I live. Muncie Indiana area by the A.C. Miller Co. In my travels Ill dig into there city archives etc. You never know. My K-18 rusty pix and Ser. #'s coming soon. Bill

zout

WATCH MY LIPS PM - CHUCK THE GLASS I GAVE YOU

My rear window stash was no where near that other stuff I removed. I have the seals cut - glass pulled out and laying on the table so for sure I know you do not have it - want me to say it again - CHUCK IT. :clinto:man that felt good.

OK - I was not trying to be a prick by answering the insulation question. Here we go. The box side windows ALL drain off the glass into that lower channel in the bottom of the body - there are NO seals or wipers like your car or truck has - its straight through to the bottom. That is why you also see these rusted to hades in the bottom - all the pine straw - mouse nests - rats nests you name it all live in that bottom area. SO sticking any form of anything in there is going to get covered by the paneling and its going to get soaked and rot and milldew and kill or make sick whomever is in the back end. Better off just the way it is. Besides from what's known about these - they were all in the islands and no reason for insulation - maybe a big arse fan or blower but for sure no insulation that could rot away.

Got all that little stuff done this morning - got onto blasting the smaller parts for re-install. I just had to remount that ball hitch for some reason. The interior upper channel IS tapped with OEM zerts so it went to something - but what for sure we are clueless but its back in place.
Those square boxes are the fuel fill cover panel - tail light cover panel and that electrical whitchmagiggie thingy on the firewall cover plate I found. I started blasting the windshield frame and forgot all about the dang screens - so before I left the garage I stuck them right where I have to step so I can get them done tomorrow night after scrapping the interior glass for the frickin last time - besides working with wood cleaning glass is my archilies heel.IMG_1632.jpgIMG_1633.jpgIMG_1634.jpgIMG_1635.jpgIMG_1636.jpgIMG_1637.jpgIMG_1638.jpgIMG_1639.jpgIMG_1640.jpgIMG_1641.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
WOW!! JUST FRIGGIN WOW!!! I honestly don't know what else to say!!

Tomorrow I will look for those bumperetts and the tow pintle.

I betcha the boyz down here can wire in some signal/brake lights to those sets TWM provided, and thanks again TWM!:beer:

Since we know the K-18 and K-19 trailer were often placed on opposite ends of runways and connected by remote, I'm gonna step out there and surmise that either the ball was detached from the tractor(K-18) and stored there OR the coupler was removed from the trailer (K-19) and stored there....

Any other "guesses"??:confused:

Gatorbill, I'm very sorry about the confusion on the K-19 trailer Brother. If I thought someone that close had one I would be in the truck headed that way too!:oops:

Last edited:

GatorBill

Roger that on one being close. Good question on the hitch. I don't know either? I am striking out on finding the radiator. If I could trouble you for measurements would be greatly appreciated to get one special built. Thanks, Bill

zout

Bill - when the fuel cell and radiator come back I will overwhealm you with pics with the tape measure against the radiator (I have never learned how to read one of those dang things and always fly by the seat of my pants) so taking pics and let you figure out what all them little back lines are on the tape measure will work for me.

The fuel cell will come back with the radiator - its getting epoxied inside it GUTS - I love that word - GUTS - INARDS - hahahahah.

PB DID NOT look behind my garage nor did Tony or BB sniff it out - there is a K-19 trailer sitting there. Once PB pics up the K-18 and I get this stinkin motorcycle done and get my friends M37 done how he knows I can do it - the K-19 will be pulled out with my new lawn tractor and get started - Don't ya all tell PB he his credit card has some overseas shipment on it and some U.S.Customs expense on it plus overland hauling - dang - would have been cheaper just building one. This one has some stinking wood in it also and it may just sit there for 40 years just like the Truck did.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks