• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Adam -no sweat - little bondo here and there and that customized by crunch 37 will look like - ahhhhh maybe repaired.

Just make sure your stinging pest do not travel with the truck - I have enough of them that have been transplanted to my house.
Well mister, if that comment was thrown my way I just want to say:

Those flying/stinging insects were brought up there to help pollinate Deb's flowers!:roll: Gosh, try to help SOME people and they just want to complain!!aua

Attachments

zout

I foresee with my physic abilities a windshield frame getting installed tonight and once bodaceious instrument cluster put back together. I will dip and dive and avoid the stinging pests and stop bitcyan

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang!!! You da man Commander!!:beer: This baby is gonna end up being near museum quality whether I want it to be or not!!:not worthy:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Carl and Troy came up with 6 nearly new shelter halves they found in the storage buildings to use for seat recovering. They have the "U.S." on them and we intend to have that centered on each seat bottom and back...we'll see how that plays out.
Carl will turn the seats in tomorrow if we don't get ambushed again.

No word on the engine progress except Tony is amassing needed components to put her back together.

I'm willing to bet this truck becomes an almost "DD", daily driver and with my record, there will probably be a few more dents/scratches on her.:roll:
Papabear, please look out for the trees. They jump out in front of you almost as much as the deer.......

zout

I had to get a shipment sent to PB directly from one of the vendors - they are very stringent on security of anyones's CC - so whoever's address is on the card that is where the package goes - you get no choice WHO to sent it to and I totally respect that. SO - PB got his windshield crank mechanism that was totally rebuilt and the attachment straps to the windshield delivered to his house. We'll work out getting this into my hands through my resources into his area.

Besides - he has the bumperetts I need to play with for the rear of the K - pintle hitch is a whole nother story.

Windshield is NOT installed - it is just sitting there for fitment and attachment - so DO NOT get excited yet - but this is what she will look like.
I add;d a couple items onto PB's CC - I hope he likes my decision to go this route for the cargo door opening straps. If not I will buy them back and use them to kidnap stray dogs coming into my yard - they are too big for kitty cats.

Hope ya enjoy the pics - back wall gets started tomorrow night so hang in there folksIMG_1679.jpgIMG_1680.jpgIMG_1681.jpgIMG_1682.jpgIMG_1684.jpgIMG_1685.jpgIMG_1686.jpgIMG_1687.jpgIMG_1688.jpgIMG_1689.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I can tell she is much happier with her windshield and the beautiful wood in the box. Man, I can't believe how well that instrument cluster came out!

Glad ya called and warned me to take an extra heart pill before I saw the pics!!:beer:

zout

Its been an absolute pleasure to be honored to work on your K-18 - that is all I can say.

It may not be perfect - but for those wishing things were done differently can buy it now at a going price of $72.000.00 - or go pound sand or go find another one. Good luck on getting a K-19.

I think whoever gets in it will be as proud to touch it and be told the stories of what we think they are - as well as much as I have learned through this whole process - it has been eye opening.

Thanks PB for the honor to work on it. Thanks to those sitting by and just looking at pics.

Ya all pack your arse up in August and come to the Gun Truck Gathering in August at CAMO and you can see it - who knows - for the right price you can drive er home and then do what you think might have or should have been done to it.

SEE BB for CURRENT PRICE. He will then pass this onto PB for Authorization.

Oldfart

Pintle

Zout,
You probably already know what the pintle looks like, but here is a photo of one on my son's (Jollyroger) 1941 AutoCar U8144-A. I am not sure, but I think there were different sizes depending on the truck capacity. I saw a 1932 Military Ton and a Half (Chevy) that had the same style pintle and it seemed slightly smaller than the one on my son's 6 ton.

Tillie 20120509_152737.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
We turned the seas in to get re-covered today (I think)...at least my truck disappeared for about an hour.:shrugs: Truthfully, I forgot to ask anybody...LOL

Still 4 engine blocks ahead of us at the machine shop so it's gonna be awhile I guess.

Amassing radio stuff to display in the box as we go along. It won't be represented as "original" to the truck but mostly period correct stuff.

OH... and unless MB or BB get awefully hungry, there IS no price!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Zout, let's wait til sometime next week to swap out parts etc., because whatever you had sent to my house has not arrived yet. Also, maybe we can manage to get the pintle off the WC-4 parts truck and see if it is close enough to use??

zout

No problem PB - they probably did not charge the CC card till done with the parts - which includes the totally rebuilt windshield crank mechanism along with it\s to windshield little brackets.

It all just works out in time without pushing it or rushing it which then causes problems - so we are both on tract.

All looking great from here on out and you can have your CC back - wer're done buying parts. I hope I did not hurt it too badly. From here on out its just labor to get that baby looking like your expecting it to.

Wait till ya see Your and I tee shirts.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CZ, that gauge cluster looks awesome.
I would have to agree on that!! It's wonderful how the "smaller" things REALLY make the rest of the truck "pop"! Thanks for the couch tater photos!! Guess a video would be "way above and beyond" for asking? You both have something to REALLY be proud of!! :deadhorse: Like it hasn't been mentioned before, right?

God bless,
Tony

zout

The windshield was only sitting on there - need that crank mechanism to get everything lined up and adjusted correctly.

I can get started on the back wall paneling now - get the tail lights turned upside down for ya all - that way I can make fun of it.
As far as anything BIG to get done there is nothing - PB has all the big items that will finish the "looks and engine".

Will be calling today to see what the ETA of the fuel tank and radiator are - tank will get re-installed - radiator will only get painted on its non-fin area and just given to PB for final install once the engine is back in - muchco easier.

I have the metal to repair the floor to firewall brace on each side so maybe I can get that done by this weekend as well - then onto the frame for priming and painting and undercoating of the floor on the bottomside.

Stay Tuned

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Zout, looks like you have done everything so fast that now we have to wait on others to catch up (engine, seats etc)!! Hmmm...wonder how hard it would be to install air conditioning in just the cab part...LOL

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The windshield was only sitting on there - need that crank mechanism to get everything lined up and adjusted correctly.

I can get started on the back wall paneling now - get the tail lights turned upside down for ya all - that way I can make fun of it.
As far as anything BIG to get done there is nothing - PB has all the big items that will finish the "looks and engine".

Will be calling today to see what the ETA of the fuel tank and radiator are - tank will get re-installed - radiator will only get painted on its non-fin area and just given to PB for final install once the engine is back in - muchco easier.
I have the metal to repair the floor to firewall brace on each side so maybe I can get that done by this weekend as well - then onto the frame for priming and painting and undercoating of the floor on the bottomside.

Stay Tuned
Radiator MUST go in FIRST before the engine because the KC is designed to remove the power pack from the front, but being that MR. Z. did not want to disturb the sheet metal fit due to the age of the truck (said "we would NEVER get the fit back"), we pulled the power pack and radiator out the bottom, from looking at the power pack, the radiator may have been designed to come out as a unit.

zout

A/C just in the cab is dooable Bro. Reckless has one of them ac kits - BUT its a 24 volt system. Just like I did on the M109 of Dingers making the compressor mount bracket off that engine and fab it to the compressor - fitting in the condensor/heater core box that has the fan mounted to the top of it - and GUESS who has a wiring diagram for doing just that.

There might be other systems out there - but you'll have to consider if it stays 6 volt or not.

Video - I had one of the M43B1 build and a few saw it and have copies I sent them - at least I liked it.
ALL the pictures are saved at home and in date range of every single day worked on and a few of misc pics in folders. I was considering sitting down and doing a build video but PB might not like the music I put to it :papabear:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks