• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hey guess what. I just realized I have a 1940's era antenna mount with whip antenna and base in my shed at home...along with some radio equipment I for got about!!

I'll try to remember to look tomorrow enening and see what exactly is in there!:papabear:

zout

WELL Bro - if I can get that antenna lower base mounted up it sure would be easier to do it now. Try to find the OEM part number for what antenna they used is a PIA - also non-existant information.

Cleaned up my mess in the garage and the squirrels make some cha ching carrying the bags up the hill to the garbage can. Then got started working on that back wall PUKE OLA wood crap again. Just think after this I have TWO MORE wood cutting trips to hades to deal with for the interior roof - oh how I just love working with wood plus the benefit of my head tilted UP and working in the air.
One pic is all fellas as I have turned into a total slacker DSCN0029.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I betcha that ole girl feels good with all the glass, wood and seals so the rain and critters can't get in her now!!:goodjob: She's safe, sound and dry after only 30 years sitting in the woods.:-D

I just showed MB some of the latest pics (she is NOT an MV enthusiast and hates antiques/old stuff), HOWEVER...she looked at the pics and said "that old truck looks really nice and the wood and the star makes it pop"![thumbzup]

For those that have never met MB...that's a heck of a compliment!:beer:

GatorBill

Ha ha ha thats funny. Thats a possibility leaving the show early. Im mainly looking for parts and contacts. I would love to show you my collection, mainly things yet to be restored. My Big Brush guard was built from pictures. Since then Wally from CA is going to send me an original trace of his guard. Can't wait. Im also excited getting the radiator and seat dimensions from you! Still piecing together the K-18 SCR-197 components. My K-51 SCR-299 Base Station is in 90% operation. K-51 has long way to go. We can also visit the Indiana Military Museum in town as well. Im not affiliated with them but they have done a super job! Bill bill at millerpower dot com

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Ha ha ha thats funny. Thats a possibility leaving the show early. Im mainly looking for parts and contacts. I would love to show you my collection, mainly things yet to be restored. My Big Brush guard was built from pictures. Since then Wally from CA is going to send me an original trace of his guard. Can't wait. Im also excited getting the radiator and seat dimensions from you! Still piecing together the K-18 SCR-197 components. My K-51 SCR-299 Base Station is in 90% operation. K-51 has long way to go. We can also visit the Indiana Military Museum in town as well. Im not affiliated with them but they have done a super job! Bill bill at millerpower dot com
Heck it's only a couple of weeks away Bill, maybe I can bring the seats and radiator so you can see them and get whatever measurements you need.

Heck...this may turn out to be more fun than the MVPA thingy!!:naner:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Bill. we will arrive around 15:00hrs on Thursday, 26 June and check into the Red Roof Inn, appx .8 miles from the convention. We plan to leave some time Saturday the 28th of June.

What day/days are you planning to be there?

GatorBill

PB: Im booked at Crown Plaza on 25th and 26th. Right there on the fairgrounds where the show is. I can hang out the 27th as well before I head home. We'll work out a plan. We need to get our cell numbers somehow. Bill

zout

IMG_1694.jpg Got home after Dinger65's wife's birthday party and played just a little bit. I have two more sheets of paneling that need to get onto the ceiling yet - not looking forward to that. As soon as that ceiling is done the rear wall will get its coating and I will DA sand the floor one more time to my likings and do both at the same time - the ceiling panels will just have to be done on the bench after fitment.

I have two plates of steel to do repair to the cab reinforcements on drivers and passenger side where its rotted out.
As you can see I got the covers for the tail lights and trailer light cord mounted up and holes into the flooring for wiring to them.

Hey PB - I know you hate surprises SOOOOOOOOO there is MORE to this but here is what the back of our TWO tee shirts will look like. Anyone else wanting to order or purchase one can contact my son and friends company Knowmorality graphix - on facebook (whatever that is ??)
Above this on the back will be 1941 K-18 comm
front above the left breast will be Papabears and below that K-18 comm
left arm American flag.
Any more than this you'll have to talk to them as it will be a direct bill and shipment from them - neither PB nor I receive any funds from this. I am only getting two made right now - one for him and one for myself.photo 2.JPG

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Zout, I want twenty shirts. 1-LG (for TWM) 9-XL(for CAMO Troops) and 10-2XL (for me). I don't care what color. If your son can't charge the CC PM me and I'll send a check or MO or give you cash on the 26th when we go to the MVPA thingy or whatever.

The rear wall and the covers look super!!

OH, and the crank mechanism for the windshield (or something you ordered) came to the house today.
Pick a day after Tuesday for your secret squirrel to make a pickup at the Compound and we will pass off the crank, bumperetts and hopefully a pintle.

Last edited:

zout

OK - folks that want K-18 TEE shirts - they are Black with the White imprents. The fellas making them just deal with them directly - PM me for their e mails please or look above for their Facebook thingy.

After talking with them they are $18 - plus tax - plus putting them in a US Mail box thingy - BUT YOU WILL HAVE A RARE ONE OF A KIND TEE SHIRT FELLAS.

OK - got the ceiling POS wood cut out and coated twice - decided to jump on the flooring as I was totally speachless to let PB and Tony see it the way it was with all the chit that flew into the coating - NOW they can be proud of it and I am happy now as well after 4 1/2 hours of sanding with the DA that epoxy and mixing up another batch after taking the yard blower to it and wiping it down a couple times.

Got into the cab finally to get some screws out that held tarp paper that would have been in todays thinking - the overhead panels. The dead mice were free I guess that were underneath it in several spots. For keeping heat off you radiated from that roof I was thinking somewhere down the road get that foam sprayed in it and then put a covering over it all - tell ya what - it was hot as H** in there working.

The cab floor - that is the two area's I mentioned I have metal (man I LOVE getting back onto metal with my paws again and away from stinking arse wood) to rebuild those two area's. The engine covers also mount onto these on the inboard side as well - so they have to be re-fabbed.

Here are some pics.IMG_1695.jpgIMG_1696.jpgIMG_1697.jpgIMG_1698.jpgIMG_1699.jpgIMG_1700.jpgIMG_1701.jpgIMG_1702.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OK - folks that want K-18 TEE shirts - they are Black with the White imprents. The fellas making them just deal with them directly - PM me for their e mails please or look above for their Facebook thingy.
After talking with them they are $18 - plus tax - plus putting them in a US Mail box thingy - BUT YOU WILL HAVE A RARE ONE OF A KIND TEE SHIRT FELLAS.
OK - got the ceiling POS wood cut out and coated twice - decided to jump on the flooring as I was totally speachless to let PB and Tony see it the way it was with all the chit that flew into the coating - NOW they can be proud of it and I am happy now as well after 4 1/2 hours of sanding with the DA that epoxy and mixing up another batch after taking the yard blower to it and wiping it down a couple times.
Got into the cab finally to get some screws out that held tarp paper that would have been in todays thinking - the overhead panels. The dead mice were free I guess that were underneath it in several spots. For keeping heat off you radiated from that roof I was thinking somewhere down the road get that foam sprayed in it and then put a covering over it all - tell ya what - it was hot as H** in there working.

Dang Bro, we thought the floor was perfect as it was!! Now it looks perfecter (like the tv commercial where the lil girl spells faster-er):papabear:

I'm not going to worry about insulation/heat/cold/noise etc., as the truck will never be driven more than short trips and whoever is driving it will just have to "suck it up"!! I betcha the fellers on Wake Island didn't enjoy much comfort when operating those rigs.

As usual you are doing top notch work Commander, and I thank you Sir!!:beer:

zout

SO - Zout2 knows about my digital temp gun - and when she comes back from church she grabs it as I am hammering away on the floor just like she left me to go to church - she says "ya know its 163.7 degree's in there don't you"

I told her it would probably be hotter when I started to mix the coating and start laying it down so it was a cold wave coming through. Be back later with a sippy pop and I will show you then what HOT is when I get into the cab roof.

She is always expecting me to be laying drop dead down there and I always disappoint her.:naner::naner:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks