• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
SO - Zout2 knows about my digital temp gun - and when she comes back from church she grabs it as I am hammering away on the floor just like she left me to go to church - she says "ya know its 163.7 degree's in there don't you"
I told her it would probably be hotter when I started to mix the coating and start laying it down so it was a cold wave coming through. Be back later with a sippy pop and I will show you then what HOT is when I get into the cab roof.
She is always expecting me to be laying drop dead down there and I always disappoint her.:naner::naner:
Just don't push too hard in that heat Bro...it ain't worth it and there is no hurry.:rules:

zout

I was literally embarresed to let you see that floor with all that chit in it - but I knew I was going to correct it. But still first impressions mean a lot.

Hopefully by end of week I will be working on getting the front grille guard in works - still working with sources for the correct thickness and lengths of metal for the flatstock plus the roundstock - end of week will tell if I am worth a chit or nto - measurements an fitment are already known - just need the material.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I was going to have them put GODFATHER of the Georgia Mafia under the truck pic but I figured I better not.

I'm glad you didn't, Vinny and Veto Bear would not think that was funny!! PLUS...that pesky sheriff up there would have one more reason to harass me!!:papabear:

zout

PB will be getting his Tee Shirt around noon today "special delivery" and can give you an honest opinion of what it looks like and if its worth getting one - I am prejudice so my vote does not count.

Get them two sheets of box roof in tonight. I got ahold of PB on the two rear windows with a small issue - I think I am going to try Homey Depot and check out Lexan and see if I can cut them - lot cheaper than the glass and just as safe and probably a little clearer on vision looking out them. FYI - the old double pane seals are no longer available so I had to go with a single pane seal - therefore the glass is a little larger in circumferene than it should be and the glass does not rope in tight allowing the zipper strip to get locked.
You will see if this dumb idea works or not I guess.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
And now for some more BAD news.

The head we sent to the machine shop is cracked in two places!:sad: Tony is dragging the other head out right now so we can get it down there to be checked. Wish us luck!!:popcorn:

zout

E mailed PB a plan of mine for those back windows instead of dinking around getting a glass co out to refit and refab glass - went to Home Depot at lunch hour and popped $59 on a sheet of plexiglass 1/4 thick enough to do both windows. Got home and did some measuring and wacked one out with the air saw - they make regular blades to cut this stuff but I used what I had - so cutting took a couple times. Will get the other side cut ahhh maybe tomorrow night and pulled in .

Got the two ceiling panels installed tonight - I have the front short section to finish up - that will have a divider strip that joins two pieces of this paneling with a nice aluminum facing that shows.

Cleaned up a little seeing how the saw horses were free and dragged that motorcycle out to get some more work done on it - trading labor for labor - he paints my house and I paint his bike and each of us buys our own stuff - works fine for me cause he is getting the worse of the deal (from my perspective).

Hopefully some day I will get some real work done on the K-18 - I thinky PB got his TEE shirt delivered to him today - he must hate it cause I have not heard from him.IMG_1709.jpgIMG_1710.jpgIMG_1712.jpgIMG_1713.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The top paneling and the back glass look just amazing Commander, but I've come to expect no less from you!:not worthy: Also received the t-shirt today...top notch as well.:goodjob:

Now a quick update from the South West CAMO HQ's:

1. The front windshield crank thingy (rebuilt) was sent North East to the Commander when the fabulous t-shirt was dropped off by the CAMO Express Secret Squirrel.

2. Tony, BabyBear and I dropped the second cylinder head off to get checked as the first was cracked in two places...and I mean badly...as in not repairable.

3. We also dropped off the seats to the shop to be recovered with OD canvas material.

4. Then we looked for about an hour for my phone...that we left at the upholstery shop...after we had called the number five times...and the old feller said he heard it but thought it was a police car passing by...my ring tone is a siren.:rolleyes:

Anyhoo...all in all it was a semi-productive day here so I'm satisfied.:papabear:

:tigger:

zout

HEY - I have plenty of sawdust you could JB WELD into them head cracks and fix them - little grinding here and a little grinding there they will look like new

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
HEY - I have plenty of sawdust you could JB WELD into them head cracks and fix them - little grinding here and a little grinding there they will look like new
I'm beginning to think the engine may be the single most expensive item in this project.:popcorn:

zout

Gator - the Chevy COE and the GMC used a lot of identical parts - that is how I am able to get some new parts for PB's - that is the radiator. That was a great price on it as well.

It still amazes me the price of machine shop engine work to get things done. It has literally skyrocketed over the years. I think the jeepy engines were around $2800 a pop to get them rebuilt a couple years back.

Things will all work out in the end - and the end is slowly approaching.

zout

SCR 197 Ground, mobile; high power radio station. For use at an Air Force base or with large field units. Transmitter Installed In Truck K-18. 3 receivers, plus monitor, installed in Trailer K-19 . Switch selection of master oscillator or any one of five crystal frequencies. Provision for installation of telephone switchboard, teletype and typewriters in trailer K-19. Transmitter can be remotely controlled using voice, tone or CW operation up to a distance of 7-1/2 Mi. of Wire W-110-B. Limited Standard.
Replaced by SCR-399.
Used by Sig.C, AAF, AY, INF.

zout

There will be a slight intermission here folks - I have that motorcycle to get done as mentioned. As of tonight I have it ALL sanded and stripped and ready for primer tomorrow - then one night of hand sanding and into paint - so do not be dismayed - just take a deep breath and we'll return to the FEATURE MV ongoing build. Just gotta get this done and outta the way.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
There will be a slight intermission here folks - I have that motorcycle to get done as mentioned. As of tonight I have it ALL sanded and stripped and ready for primer tomorrow - then one night of hand sanding and into paint - so do not be dismayed - just take a deep breath and we'll return to the FEATURE MV ongoing build. Just gotta get this done and outta the way.
OK but just make sure no overspray gets on the K18-C unless it's in the form of a white star!:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks