• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

glassk

Well, here's the latest news on the engine.

The good... The second cylinder head we sent to the shop IS NOT cracked.[thumbzup]
The not so good... The head needs new valve guides/seats and intake valves...sorta expected that and Tony is looking to round them up.

Why do I think the rest of the K18 will be ready WAY before the engine is???

The seats were promised delivery on or before the first of July but the feller is KNOWN for not meeting deadlines....LOL

Tossing some more Rocks out,
Can anyone look it up for me and confirm which engine it is by its serial number? I assuem it is a 270 but do not know for sure.

serial number #24820475.

Si, 248ci., According to that No.
Do the first three digits indicate size, or is it just coincidence that his engine is a 248 and the serial starts with 248?
No coincidence.
http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=144081
Help confirming 1941 GMC COE engine model

2013-chevrolet-performance-.jpg

In case you can't find the Guides,...:roll:

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showphoto.php?photo=175386&title=i-drives-21&cat=3764

This guy has some 1941 stuff too

Last edited:

zout

Bike gone - tank looks dull because I had already sanded once the decals got on to clearcoat it again - that never happendIMG_1724.jpgIMG_1725.jpgIMG_1726.jpgIMG_1727.jpgIMG_1728.jpgIMG_1729.jpgIMG_1730.jpgIMG_1731.jpg - ahhh what was I working on ! oh yeah

Got the windshield crank in and adjusted - got the speedo cluster in - got the rest of the windshield stuffy done and waiting for a volunteer to help me hold it and get it in.
Got the engine compartment all pressure washed again - so that is ready to shoot anytime - got started on the inside cab brace areas pretty much started and should be done tomorrow with this.

I didn;t want to be around any wood or touch it or smell it after this morning - so that can wait till tomorrow as well. There should be no longer than an hour in that to finish that roof inside - then I need to snip out the two vent holes for their grills inside the box.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
glassk, both of my engines are 270's for double dog sure. If all else fails with both these engines I have a good friend that has offered a 248 that he says ran a couple of years ago and he's sure it would again with some minor tinkering.

I just want to build one of these 270's so I'll know what I have and have the extra power over the 248:popcorn:

Tony has a line on all the engine parts we need and we will be ordering them Monday.

glassk

glassk, both of my engines are 270's for double dog sure. If all else fails with both these engines I have a good friend that has offered a 248 that he says ran a couple of years ago and he's sure it would again with some minor tinkering.

I just want to build one of these 270's so I'll know what I have and have the extra power over the 248:popcorn:

Tony has a line on all the engine parts we need and we will be ordering them Monday.

That was really Cause I didn't know they used Serial Numbers that way Back then, Plus as you say, There will be no doubt when the last time something was changed when you put it back together either new or inspected,

zout

Got Swiss's water craft engine all sandblasted up and when I was done next thing I know he cleaned my garage - WOW.

Got the windshield installed before he came a O dark thirty this morning - several pics of how this looks.
Got done blasting up his stuff and finished off what I need blasted for the K so I went to town on that.

While Swiss was picking up media - I finished some of the trim in the box area - still need to cut out that last piece o plexiglass for the back window.
Here are some pics IMG_1732.jpgIMG_1732.jpgIMG_1733.jpgIMG_1734.jpgIMG_1735.jpgIMG_1736.jpgIMG_1737.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Wowzers!!! The windshield installed makes a world of difference in the looks of that ole girl!!:not worthy:

I'm tempted to take that baby to the MVPA thingy in Louisville as a "restoration in progress- no engine" display...but there is always next year.:beer:

zout

Your call Bro

Other than that - I have tallied what I need to build the brush guard and suspect the needed supplies should be here by end of the week which makes ONE MORE free weekend before the MVPA thingy to which I am looking forward to just to see how real folks really build trucks and their skills so I can learn something.

I do believe the Radiator and fuel tank will be back mid week and at least get the fuel tank in and hand off the radiator to CAMO for final install but it will be painted.
I will get working on undercoating the fender wheel well's along with the flooring underside in the K - then onto painting the framework chassis.

HEY PB - not far away bro - not far away.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amazing progress Commander but that is what we have come to expect from your work. PB, don't shoot your wad prematurely. Get it all done and take the MVPA by storm next year. 2cents

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Amazing progress Commander but that is what we have come to expect from your work. PB, don't shoot your wad prematurely. Get it all done and take the MVPA by storm next year. 2cents
Of course you're right TWM. The Commander and I talked about it earlier today and decided against taking her. Maybe we can find someone at the convention that has some info on the truck we haven't found.

zout

The K is coming to a close slowly. Here is what is left for me to finish up on it - I only see a couple more array's of pictures coming from me because a couple things are just not worthy to take pics of till overall ending pics are done.

1. Finish the cab paint and metal floor area.
2. Get the fuel tank mounted - hole cut in the flooring & mount the cover
3. Hand the Radiator off to CAMO that gets delivered with the fuel tank (plus paint OD on its tanks)
4. Start building the brush guard and during this make that cover for the roof vent.
5. Finish that last back window glass cut and install.
6. Get the buffer polisher out and make the box floor like glass so everyone falls on their arse getting in and out - making it a mirror finish.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
"Get the buffer polisher out and make the box floor like glass so everyone falls on their arse getting in and out - making it a mirror finish"quote:

Commander, I've decided to get a couple of large convex mirrors to set one in each door so folks can see the inside without actually getting in the box!:naner:

Engine and seats should be installed the first or second week of July...then we can see what this ole girl can do!:beer:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Get the buffer polisher out and make the box floor like glass so everyone falls on their arse getting in and out - making it a mirror finish"quote:

Commander, I've decided to get a couple of large convex mirrors to set one in each door so folks can see the inside without actually getting in the box!:naner:
Spoilsport!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PB, are you not the man who said I would store my WC in a crate so it does not get scratched? I am glad I am not alone hear brother. :ditto:

zout

Forgot to say I had to spray the frame - oops - is that important !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the last piece of ceiling panel cut and coated - alum connector bar cut out and fit in.
Got the last back window cut out but not installed (see hot hot it is in the box even with a fan blowing) (like being in a microwave oven with the fan on high heat)

Got Swiss piece pulled out because he donated the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to the SB392 fund for getting it done and I owe my BRO to get it done - for those thinking I have something against CUCV's keep your eye on this baby what Swiss has in mind to do to it. Swiss should copywrite it and ya all owe him after this.
It had 11 coats of paint on it - which 3 coats above the original someone sprayed LAQUER primer on it which made everything above it that was sprayed just "float" and not adhere or seal so when its sands its all gummy and poopy and takes gobs of DA sandpaper to get this chit off of it.

Here are some picsIMG_1745.jpgIMG_1746.jpgIMG_1747.jpgIMG_1748.jpgIMG_1749.jpgIMG_1750.jpgIMG_1751.jpgIMG_1752.jpgIMG_1754.jpgIMG_1755.jpg

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got to spend Fathers Day with Commander Zout and it was an awesome day. Like many of you I have been studying the pictures daily on line but honestly pictures only tell 1000 words of a 100,000 page novel. It always amazes me how Commander Z can attack a project and make things happen. "Magic" is a common answer I get from Zout and in many cases it is close to a great magic show.

I got to work the window crank and windshield cranks, SWEET they are all working.

PS Zout: Great start and I like the rounding, and see the small seal channel. The window channel should disappear.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks