• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

zout

Thanks Ray - I always appeciate your input as you do amazing work as well.

The last set of pics I posted was a template on a board I picked up - I think we pretty much have this down to a science now to get er done. It all just looks intimidating and huge on the truck mounted and not so scarey laying out on the board - That will change when it starts to get built.
I'll get some 3/8th bolts x 3 in long in key points on the sheet of wood (love drilling holes in wood) to help make the bends while under the torch (love the smell of burning wood). I can always use my hammer to mash out fires on the wood (love bashing on wood as well).

My guess is the Canadian version had that grille - the American version as shown in the OEM pic without the box mounted with the rounded guard - so I think PB is dead nuts on wanting this one.

Wallyboy

If you guys are needing a pattern for the brush guard, let me know if you want a template off my K18.
I have a request for a pattern from another owner, and it would be no problem to trace out another.
I was going to do a youtube video for him showing the mounting points, metal thickness etc. that I will post the link to.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Wallyboy, this is exactly the grill I want. Maybe you would be willing to make some more pics (closeups of just the grill on the truck) and the mounting supports etc??

I know Zout already has basic measurements but extra shots never hurt IMO, and thanks for posting/offering.:beer:

Attachments

zout

Ya'll better hurry up - metal came today and fabbing starts tonight - send by carrier pidgeon (they were MV as well during WW2)

I have the bottom mounting down firm - I have where the two sections bolt together down firm - I know how the arms mount into the firewall area and mounting to the grille is ahhhhhh - work it out so its asthetically pleasing to the eyeball.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya'll better hurry up - metal came today and fabbing starts tonight - send by carrier pidgeon (they were MV as well during WW2)

I have the bottom mounting down firm - I have where the two sections bolt together down firm - I know how the arms mount into the firewall area and mounting to the grille is ahhhhhh - work it out so its asthetically pleasing to the eyeball.
That is the problem with Warp Speed Commander Zout, we all work in the real world where time stands still and he lives somewhere in the WARP stratosphere and is moving to fast around us.

Look Out!

zout

^^^^What HE said.

Its 5:45 sitting here posting and typing chit - taking pic's - having sippy pop (one that was needlessly wasted on putting out a wood fire of that stuff). And here is where we are at:

Top section getting started as this is the heart of the baby - some more ROUNDING to do to the top section but the framework is in motion. You can bend that to a more curved radius without disturbing the bend on both ends throwing them off so to speak - if you do not get it - do not ask.

Got the filler plate cut - got two of the vertical sections cut out with the metal chop saw.
ALL the lower section vertical pieces match the upper section so it is no big deal. I had Faxed PB a drawing just to show him I was not full of chit and it was figured out just to help the OWNER ease his feeling about the most important part to him - that is my concern. IF I could not do it I would be the first one to throw my hands up and say UNCLE - but this is a no brainer to me.

Gotta dig the welder out - got a new spool of .035 wire - new tank of Argon and ready to go. BUT the small stuff will get done first and I will bust my arse when I come back from the MVPA with CAMO - here she is as it is at this time fellas.
DSCN0095.jpgDSCN0096.jpgDSCN0097.jpgDSCN0098.jpgDSCN0099.jpgDSCN0100.jpgDSCN0102.jpgDSCN0103.jpgDSCN0104.jpgDSCN0105.jpg

zout

OH yeah - I got home at 4:17 and had to unload - turn chit on - and get started - some folks like details - figure out how long it took me to do this.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it appears that you indeed know what you are doing. Please be careful with that burning wood or Papabear's cousin, Smokey Bear is likely to show up and give you a citation. If so, I think PB can get it fixed.
:naner:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I hate to say this Brother Zout, but just seeing that fugly grill started and the progress you made on it today makes me happier than any other single pics you've posted since the project began!:not worthy:

Try to stay with my thinking here, (I know it's hard...but) that fugly grill makes the fugly truck even fuglier which makes the finished product a thing of sheer beauty...In my opinion.

Got all that??:papabear:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OH yeah - I got home at 4:17 and had to unload - turn chit on - and get started - some folks like details - figure out how long it took me to do this.

60 Minutes :) Wait a couple of weeks I will get you some pictures and measurements

:deadhorse::deadhorse:

zout

If its not pouring rain when I get home - I will waste some time by getting a hand from someone to hold what is made - up near the facia of the truck to give you references and proportional concepts of how this looks.

As mentioned - now that I have some more bolts to use on the template for lock down - the outter band from center top to either right or left bend can be manipulated without throwing off the radius - so all is well - do not fear.

Whenever the entire piece gets metal primed - painted it will look even bigger when its all done.

For those looking at whatever pics - You see the Canadian one different. You'll the one in the field with the fella with his hand on the top of the guard - the vertical uprights are square tube in that - that is different than the Canadian vertical uprights. The OEM Factory pic shows flat stock used - not square tubing and this is what I went with.

I just don't doubt my work on this - if I did I would be the first one to tell the owner. All the pics I need are already on top of that template and no doubt I have looked at them many many many times and still do. And If I do not doubt my work - I get to work on it.

Wallyboy

Ok...I changed the video setting to public, sorry about that!

You really should watch the video, it's a riveting tale of fumbled rulers, excellent special effects including upside down camera, finger over the microphone, etc.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Ok...I changed the video setting to public, sorry about that!
You really should watch the video, it's a riveting tale of fumbled rulers, excellent special effects including upside down camera, finger over the microphone, etc.
Thank you so much for the video!! Your truck looks pretty darn complete minus radio equipment!!:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks