• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
It was a good day with some good friends. Had some most excellent BBQ and some good conversation (and some Crown) and then took the K18-C home without issue.:D
You can't really tell from the pics what an outstanding job Zout did on the truck and DOC kept saying it should be placed in a museum!

Oh...and notice I'm wearing the headset donated by Hndersonj.:beer:

Attachments

Last edited:

Triple C

That is a seriously cool truck. It is right that it was restored! What a shame had it not been. Zout haven't met you, but I have to agree, you do indeed rock!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Now I can't wait to see the...as Paul Harvey use to say....the rest of the story. Getting it stop and go condition as well as those great looking seats.
I'm gonna set the seats in the cab today just to see how they look. Will try to post pics tonight but won't secure the seats til the engine is installed and the floorboards re-installed.

zout

Amoungst the group Saturday when CAMO was picking up the K-18 it took some time for me to let it "sink" in of what PB said.

Within the world of MV's the K-18 has to be on the top of the list for being of of the rarest military trucks in existence.
Along with some postings I have made over on the G503 site - folks clicking over there will bring them into SS to read about this.
Along with clicking on Google now - doing searches for a BC-325 Radio - SCR-197 - K-18 - K-19 brings those folks to links that bring them over here to SS.

A whole new world has opened up to hopefully hear more about these trucks than what we have found out so far - pertaining to exact details and information.

Salute to PB for saving this from a rusty grave and slow death.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Which brings up the other issue I addressed. Up to this point I think we can say this truck is pretty much like it was designed in 1941 and anything we've done will not lead anyone too far astray from the original in case they find a K18-C and want to restore it.

BUT...given the total lack of information/pics as to exactly how the radio equipment was arranged in the box we are going to have to make sure folks know whatever we do in the box is just OUR version of what we thought COULD have been the setup.

I don't want some well meaning troop to look at this truck as the "standard" for the K18C and think it's correct in every detail because frankly I don't have a clue as to how to set the box up...even though I have no intent of ever making it functional.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Flash traffic!!!

This news just in: The cylinder head is checked, reworked with all new valves, seats, seals etc., and completed. The cylinder block is on the boring machine as we speak...so it looks like we are on target to start putting the engine back together this weekend![thumbzup]

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flash traffic!!!

This news just in: The cylinder head is checked, reworked with all new valves, seats, seals etc., and completed. The cylinder block is on the boring machine as we speak...so it looks like we are on target to start putting the engine back together this weekend![thumbzup]
Great way to start the week. The compound will be hoppiing this weekend. :grd:

zout

Prepare all parts by soaking in oil overnight - then

The cylinder thingy connects to the pin thingy
The pin thingy connects to the rod thingy
The rod thingy connects to the oblong thingy

The up and down thingies connect to the threaded thingies[thumbzup]

nattieleather

You know the old girl waited this long for restoration a another day here and there won't hurt it. :D Y'all are doing an awesome job on this truck! Kudos to all of you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks