• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

Oldfart

Odd things can happen with military vehicles. I managed to buy from GL a 1955 M220 that was just coming off active duty at Yuma Proving Grounds. It was delivered to the Army and then declared surplus some 55 years later. Sometimes they do remain in inventory a long time. And I picked up a couple of XM791's that were returned from Germany. They both have Autobahn notices painted on the inner doors as well as the names of the vehicle operators painted on the windshields. Those got saved from the aluminum scrap yard and God only knows how many owners they had after the military. They have had more hands on them than a lady of the evening. ~~ I guess we are lucky to have any records at all that tell us where these vehicles have been and what they have seen. My son picked up a 5 ton dump from GL in California and it was tagged FOI. I wonder how many units had their hands on that one only to leave it behind when they deployed.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Truck was brought to me march 26th 2014.
by zout
Lot of Detail work done in three months, 2cents:goodjob:
Absolutely no doubt!!:beer:

I think Zout may still be a little "miffed" because I wouldn't let him fix some areas he wanted to...but I feel those areas add character while the overall truck still looks outstanding.

I want the truck to say..."Been there, done that, survived 73 years of abuse and here I am, standing tall!!!:beer:

zout

Nope - not by any means - I think how you wanted it was explained perfectly and WORSE understood by me leaving them alone (Maybe cleaning them up a little bit)

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Nope - not by any means - I think how you wanted it was explained perfectly and WORSE understood by me leaving them alone (Maybe cleaning them up a little bit)

Yah...like that cute lil dent that WAS in the hood...and you just HAD to fix!!! Gosh I miss that dent!!:cry:

I just MIGHT whack it with a hammer!:whistle:

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
[/COLOR]

Yah...like that cute lil dent that WAS in the hood...and you just HAD to fix!!! Gosh I miss that dent!!:cry:

I just MIGHT whack it with a hammer!:whistle:
OR the same thing might happen that "happened "to the wc.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
LIFE IS NOT FAIR!!! Now I'm taking heavy ground fire from my OWN employees for NOT letting zout fix the very few areas I asked him NOT to fix!!:roll:

Gosh...I can't get a break around the ole compound!! OK...that's a lie...

Got the block and head back today from the machine shop and given what was done, I'm very satisfied with the results/price. Might try to start putting it back together tomorrow if mission requirements allow it.

Also...test fit the seats but didn't secure them until after the engine install. Here's a couple pics:

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

WOW - Carl did good.

Ya know when it comes to taking smashed in areas - clean them up
and then you take dented in areas and then clean them up
and then you take divits and clean them up
and then you take scratches and misc chit out of the surface
it just never ends unless you just want a PERFECT truck and even then SOMEONE who has never worked on chit in their lifetime and paid others to do the dirty work always find a bitch about something or other.

Show me a K-18 that came of the factory perfect - still waiting - still waiting - not holding my breath

Its very easy to stand back and nit pick - PB - just show them the pics of when it was found in the field when sitting for 40 plus years - YOU did good bro by bringing it back to life.

zout

More important - for the now going price of a RARE k-18 asking price is $125,000.00 you can do whatever your heart desires when you buy it. The hard work is already done for ya - and if you think that is too much - just go out and get another one in the shape this one is. Heck - PB might even throw in the radio systems he bought.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
WOW - Carl did good.

Ya know when it comes to taking smashed in areas - clean them up
and then you take dented in areas and then clean them up
and then you take divits and clean them up
and then you take scratches and misc chit out of the surface
it just never ends unless you just want a PERFECT truck and even then SOMEONE who has never worked on chit in their lifetime and paid others to do the dirty work always find a bitch about something or other.

Show me a K-18 that came of the factory perfect - still waiting - still waiting - not holding my breath

Its very easy to stand back and nit pick - PB - just show them the pics of when it was found in the field when sitting for 40 plus years - YOU did good bro by bringing it back to life.
I don't mean to sound like I don't care what folks think about my stuff...BUT...I wanted this truck to have a certain look. That look is..."hey, look at me!! I was made 73 years ago and survived all kinds of abuse and neglect and I'm still here"!! "I'm not perfect but for what I've been through, I'm pretty darn good"!!

I guess I kind of equate MV's with humans...yeah...I know...that's not right...BUT!!! Show me a 73 year old man in perfect condition and I'll show you an untested man.
I don't want MVPA "Trailer Queen" type stuff. I want sorta motor ready stuff with dents and dings that folks can sit in and get a feel for what folks of that era had to work/fight with.

Zout has accomplished what I wanted for the K18-C at this point in her life. The next owner can take her to the "pristine" level and let her live on.:beer:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
More important - for the now going price of a RARE k-18 asking price is $125,000.00 you can do whatever your heart desires when you buy it. The hard work is already done for ya - and if you think that is too much - just go out and get another one in the shape this one is. Heck - PB might even throw in the radio systems he bought.
Well, I don't have $125,000 and I prolly never will. BUT...I also don't need $125,000 right now...so...she's still not for sale....at any price.:beer:

GatorBill

:confused:Thank you PB. I really need that seat Info so I can get the springs tailor made. Pictures and measurements of the bottom springs would be super! Yes wish you could have made it to see my SCR-197 components but it will always be here. Take care, Bill bill@millerpower.com

Last edited:

Oldfart

Tin Medic

Originally Posted by zout

"Thats because we cant find any other K-18's. rofl"

Actually it's not because you can't find other K-18's ~~ It's because they built vehicles at a **** of a pace with the thought that if they lasted beyond 90 days we were ahead of the game. The idea was cheap and quick and more than the enemy had.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Had a nice breakfast at the VFW this morning, twelve of us I think, then went to the compound and started the days activities.

While most of us were engaged in disorganized grabbass,Tony and Troy started putting the 270 GMC engine back together to eventually drop back into the K18-C. The head has all new valves, seats, seals etc., and looks good as new. The block has all new bearings, pistons, rings etc. and is bored .030 over with one cylinder (#4) requiring a sleeve.

Here's a couple pics:

Well...that didn't work...having the hardest time posting pics lately...I'll try again later.:papabear:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks