• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
God what a motley crew putting the engine together. But the engine sure looks purty...........

zout

The question is - the engine piece Baby Bear is dragging out of the hooch into the shop - where does that piece fit - ya know that stinker is always taking stuff off the table and playing with it for a while and then dragging in back in - looks like the water pump encapulator ball or something - or a non inflated safety device ??

steelypip

Show me a K-18 that came of the factory perfect - still waiting - still waiting - not holding my breath

Its very easy to stand back and nit pick - PB - just show them the pics of when it was found in the field when sitting for 40 plus years - YOU did good bro by bringing it back to life.
I've had the thankless job of being a judge at car shows. One of the least fun things I've had to deal with was telling an owner with a car in the factory restored class that I was taking some points off because something in my purview was over-restored . I've seen '65 Chevy bumpers with beautiful, perfect Harley show chrome on a car with paint you could use for a mirror. I also know what real unrestored unmolested '65 Chevy chrome and paint jobs look like. Perfection has its place, but not if you're trying to represent something as it was actually mass produced at a low cost.

If it was a 1941 Cadillac, Packard, or Auburn it would have had a certain fit and finish. A 1941 Dodge or Chevy would have a very different level of fit and finish. A 1941 utility truck even moreso. Such a truck made in a hurry for an Army contract...well let's just say that if the doors and hood latched shut and the windows rolled up and down then it passed QC and rolled off the line. It would be really unreasonable to expect such a truck to have perfect panelwork even when new.

Thanks for not over-restoring your truck!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I've had the thankless job of being a judge at car shows. One of the least fun things I've had to deal with was telling an owner with a car in the factory restored class that I was taking some points off because something in my purview was over-restored . I've seen '65 Chevy bumpers with beautiful, perfect Harley show chrome on a car with paint you could use for a mirror. I also know what real unrestored unmolested '65 Chevy chrome and paint jobs look like. Perfection has its place, but not if you're trying to represent something as it was actually mass produced at a low cost.

If it was a 1941 Cadillac, Packard, or Auburn it would have had a certain fit and finish. A 1941 Dodge or Chevy would have a very different level of fit and finish. A 1941 utility truck even moreso. Such a truck made in a hurry for an Army contract...well let's just say that if the doors and hood latched shut and the windows rolled up and down then it passed QC and rolled off the line. It would be really unreasonable to expect such a truck to have perfect panelwork even when new.

Thanks for not over-restoring your truck!
As far a being built by the lowest bidder and as fast as possible of course that's true...out of necessity. BUT I have several WWII pieces and I have to say for the technology and tools of the day I don't see ANY signs of shoddy work in any of them.:-D
I think the work ethic and moral values of folks back then were different than some folks today. (Notice I said some).

As far as being "pristine" and being judged in a competition...that ain't gonna happen on my watch. I really enjoy watching older Veterans looking at these vehicles, getting in them, and getting misty eyed and remembering their turn in the barrel. I also enjoy younger folks and kids getting in/on my stuff and learning what those who went before them had to work with and realizing they "took a lickin and kept on tickin".

I'm still at a loss as to how we will set up the limited commo equip we have found. I have just about decided NOT to try represent what a K18-C would look like inside, rather, I think I will just display what I have and find later as "period correct" equipment.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Tony got the head on today, cam installed and some other stuff done...including limited painting while Troy was busy with "real world" work truck stuff. I took some pics of the progress but right now I can't tell ya where I left the camera...:cookoo: Yes...I have issues.

I promise to do better tomorrow.:roll:

zout

In segment 2 - whether this is old age or remembering - Mr. Rogers talks about the radio being in the trailer and the transmitter in the truck ?
He does mention that when leaving from Hickam Field that it was a secret mission and not to be discussed in support of B-17's

All I can tell ya is my search is not done till I finally find pictures of the interiors of the K-18 & K-19 - then I finally might be satisfied.

Listening to Mr. Rogers speak of his experience just overwhelms me. What a find today.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just love to listen to the old WW2 fellas talk about their war experiences. I could listen for hours but get saddened knowing there are fewer of them each month. :(

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
In segment 2 - whether this is old age or remembering - Mr. Rogers talks about the radio being in the trailer and the transmitter in the truck ? He does mention that when leaving from Hickam Field that it was a secret mission and not to be discussed in support of B-17's

All I can tell ya is my search is not done till I finally find pictures of the interiors of the K-18 & K-19 - then I finally might be satisfied.

Listening to Mr. Rogers speak of his experience just overwhelms me. What a find today.
From my readings, the transmitter (BC-325) and the remote unit - RM-7, a PTO powered generator and some other stuff was in the tractor (truck).
The trailer had 3 receivers (BC-342), possibly 2 PE-75 generators... and other stuff.

I enjoyed watching segment 1 and 2. Will try to watch them all as time permits.

Thanks for finding/posting that Bro.

Also...here's a couple of pics of the engine progress...couldn't play with it today...too busy:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks