• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

zout

OH YEAH - I can do this BECAUSE I READ THE TM'S ON THE TRUCK AND DID NOT HAVE TO POST TO ASK FOR SIMPLE HELP !!!!!!!!! OR FIGURED OUT WHAT YOU COULD HAVE LEARNED FROM JUST READING BEFORE ASKING.
Not new but a 1942 that only a few remain.

glassk

hampton apc.jpghampton tank.jpghampton tank a.jpg

The town I grew up in , back in the day didn't mind getting out and about, wonder if they could get away with it now,

Pictures from a 4th of July Parade in the seventies,...

zout

Interesting - a hand activated push starter knob instead of a floor mounted push button - all still going to be a 6 volt system.
I Never did get the ignition key from PB to be able to start it yet !!!!!!!!20150704_081114.jpg20150704_090550.jpg20150704_090600.jpg20150704_102416.jpg20150704_102428.jpg20150704_102436.jpg20150704_103556.jpg20150704_103617_Burst07.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the photos Commander.......us couch taters appreciate 'em!!! Didnt even notice some were upside down......hard to tell when you're laying in the couch.......��

zout

your welcome fellas - and an ABSOLUTE NO on including my name on it.

There is a wiring harness ordered and its on back order (wonder why) so that will be coming up in the future
Working on coolant tubes getting them back into good condition and painted up - hose is pretty straight forward and will get that tomorrow.
Been having a fit getting the correct belt and will get that at the same time (number 4 so far).
Little things off the engine install and drive-line to get adjusted into working state and secure.

Once all ^^^^^^^^is done onto the brakes and then back onto tiny area's of the body to touch up.

Cannot tell ya how bad I would like to see whatever radio gear PB has hid away to get installed in as well before I get my grubby paws off it.

Wait till that baby rolls down the street in the Veterans Day Parade at Columbus and the looks on some ole timers faces. The announcer will be asking him - ahhhhhhhh what is a K-18 we do not show one in our books.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
your welcome fellas - and an ABSOLUTE NO on including my name on it.

There is a wiring harness ordered and its on back order (wonder why) so that will be coming up in the future
Working on coolant tubes getting them back into good condition and painted up - hose is pretty straight forward and will get that tomorrow.
Been having a fit getting the correct belt and will get that at the same time (number 4 so far).
Little things off the engine install and drive-line to get adjusted into working state and secure.

Once all ^^^^^^^^is done onto the brakes and then back onto tiny area's of the body to touch up.

Cannot tell ya how bad I would like to see whatever radio gear PB has hid away to get installed in as well before I get my grubby paws off it.
Wait till that baby rolls down the street in the Veterans Day Parade at Columbus and the looks on some ole timers faces. The announcer will be asking him - ahhhhhhhh what is a K-18 we do not show one in our books.
Actually we have all the radios except that big rascal (BC325) including the field telephones and switchboards AND the PE-75 generator. Pics of this stuff are scattered throughout this thread somewhere.
Of course all these items are going to be used for display even though most of it will "power up" according to the folks I bought it from.

As far as Zout's name being on the truck...it will be eventually...on a plaque to be made when the vehicle returns home.[thumbzup
]

zout

It better be in TYPE so fricking small you need a NASA micro scope to be able to read it - all I can tell you. It has nothing to do with me - ITS THE TRUCK AND ITS HISTORY. The rest of it of what I do not take pictures of is just for me for memory - some things I am just not willin to share or talk about - its just MINE.

Interesting notation here now that the crazy guy got it out of his system :) - The SPEEDO DRIVE is an adjustable calibration type. It has a spool knob at the end to help calibrate PPM (pulses per mile) but not electronic but mechanical - very cool find again, This ole baby just keeps spitting out great little tidbits of History 74 years ago as Chaplin was so kind to point out. I cannot add or subtract without my fingers and I don't have that many to be able to figure out stuff like that.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep what you must for yourself Commander. Thank you for sharing what remains with the rest of us! She is a piece of history, but history doesn't repair itself, neither do MV's. Would've been much simpler to not share at all,,,,,,,,Your time, your effort, your photos, or your comments. She'll be rare piece of "Americana" when you are through. Don't see that everyday, at least I don't.

zout

Seeing as almost all of you are fanatic MV fans there is no way i would hide any of this history.....keep some rebuild things for me...dam straight but overall you all are getting play by play of an MV life form coming back alive - critics can look at it whatever way they want but guess what ....I DO NOT CARE because i have not seen one important input or document besides what a couple other folks have forwarded to see what EXACTLY this truck looked like.
Thanks Pb
Kent and the rest know who you are for original documentation

You all get to judge it in your own way of likes and dislikes.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Just a few pics for an update:

Engine is in and pretty well buckled up (minus the on-order wiring harness).

Zout was able to find belts, u-joints and strap kits for the drive shaft and a few other things...mostly thru NAPA. Also found a new master cylinder but it costs 145 bucks!!:shock:
When my heart gets back in sync I'll probably ask him to order it.:D

Attachments

zout

Carb which is an updraft.
Last one the piece fits onto the carb intake allows a solid piece to get two 90 degree turns then a rubber travels back about 18 inches on top of the frame rail into the air cleaner. This is an oil bath type which is soaking in the safety clean tank

That piece as you can see carb end is larger which would allow carb intake air to SWIRL vortex style (PB SUPERCHARGER)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks