• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

zout

Well yeah....goes to I cannot drink Crown and type and download pictures at the same time.

I think I have a place for that coil that shocks a person - right under yor drivers seat in the K.

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zout,

In post 1892 in picture #6

I was looking at details of the truck and just wanted to verify something, just in case there is a test later.

QUESTION: The tube above the driveshaft that is mounted to a bed cross member, is that for the parking brakes?

Bert

zout

Yes it is sir. Comes off the front as a single cable then Y's into that linkage the goes to each rear.

Sooner or later when i get off my fat lazy butt the entire brake system will be gone through. But have gone through and gotten all linkage points freed up and lubed.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't understand why you are on SS or sitting on the porch slurpping beer when you could be down at the shop in 150 degree temps getting the job done. Take one for the team man! :grd:

zout

Ya know.....some day i am going to grow up and not be such a slacker and freeloader.....but i just left kroger watching folks dish out FOOD STAMPS getting gobs of stuff i cannot afford ir eat and those stamps come from AHHHHHHHHHHHH no brainer...while i walk out with one plastic bag at $80 with Alpo dig food and milk bone dog biscuits and cat foo to eat........so the end of the end of this drama is.....i figured i am taking the night off work and going to enjoy my ALPO.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Ya know.....some day i am going to grow up and not be such a slacker and freeloader.....but i just left kroger watching folks dish out FOOD STAMPS getting gobs of stuff i cannot afford ir eat and those stamps come from AHHHHHHHHHHHH no brainer...while i walk out with one plastic bag at $80 with Alpo dig food and milk bone dog biscuits and cat foo to eat........so the end of the end of this drama is.....i figured i am taking the night off work and going to enjoy my ALPO.
You have certainly earned a night off Sir! Heck...take the weekend off and enjoy it with Zout-2.:beer:

Oh...and about the Alpo...that cost too much for my house, we are forced to eat Vienna sausages and sardines. :papabear:

zout

Mobileauto2000 - AWESOME investigation find on your part.
Here is the interesting decision to make - hopefully I can make sense with stating this.

We know now how the electrical was hooked up as well as the condition of it now - ALL fried and fused from one end to the other.

Was the truck ORIGINALLY when built a Negative or Positive ground 6 volt system (we know 6 volt is correct).
We know with whatever battery was in it now was hooked up Positive Ground - but we also have fried fused wiring ??????????? Was whatever battery that got put in there last do that ??? Was it hooked up wrong as Positive ground where maybe it originally was Negative Ground ?????

Plus WTH kind of battery was that as there were no markings remaining on top - you can see what the side reads but try to find out what that was is a challenge - been googling it the last several days myself.

We do have a new 6 volt battery - but its not getting hooked up to anything that I do not need to fire it up for now (did someone say hopefully this weekend ??)

RADIO - Ham operator folks looking at this thread - here is one for you:
With the truck being Positive Ground - and everything in the back of that truck was quadrupled grounded with straps ---------- were the straps on the negative or positive side of the radio's ??????
Would radio systems sustain a positive ground operation ????

There is no wiring remaining that is not totally melted so going wire by wire to answer the above question is not an option - so therefore the challenge.

I am open to opinions especially about the radio one. Get your butts in here and see if you can add something please.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OK here's where I will show my ignorance about the radio setups.

As far as I can tell, the radios were all 110volt AC powered primarily and used the onboard/remote generators to power then. In fact one of those old articles you dug up way back at the start mentioned this I think.
I know the "Sky Champion" and BC352 radios I have in the back of the K18 have standard AC electric plugs on them. Maybe there was a "converter" wired into the system in the truck to all them to run on "DC" as well? I don't know.:shrugs:
I also don't even know if the radios could be used "on the move" or had to be "plugged in" to the generators and stationery.

There are no plans in my lifetime to wire the radios for use...display only.

I'm just interested in getting the truck running and the lights working...and possibly adding turn signals so I can drive her around town a little.:tank:

zout

Lights are ALL WORKING - I put 4 flashlights in each hole - if ya wanna turn just jump out and click the little rubber button to make em flash :papabear:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lights are ALL WORKING - I put 4 flashlights in each hole - if ya wanna turn just jump out and click the little rubber button to make em flash :papabear:
But wouldn't you first have to similarly activate the BRAKE LIGHTS to indicate you've STOPPED to activate your TURN SIGNALS ?!?!?

Blinker Fluid.jpg

Did they use this stuff back in 1941???

zout

I tap the left side of the brake pedal to turn tn the left blinkers and soforth to turn right....tap the right side of the brake pedal

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Turn the engine over with the original starter hooked up as found (+ground) IF the engine turns in the correct rotation then you know that + ground is correct, if WRONG rotation then you know that - ground is correct.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks