• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

rickf

Bingo! I try to explain to guys nowadays about asbestos brakes and they tell me that they have not been made from asbestos since the 70's. I say yea, and when do you think those NOS brakes are from? And some heavy truck brakes were made from asbestos going well into the 80's. I have a five gallon Spackle bucket that I put play sand in and I have some holes in the bottom of it. When I get one like that I put the bucket under it and rinse it down into the bucket with the hose and then dump the wet sand into a trash bag and out for the trash. I don't want it on the ground and getting kicked up in the dust by the mower once it dries. The bag will keep the sand wet until it is buried at the dump so everyone is safe that way.

By the way, I blew out brakes with air for years just like all us old farts before we knew better. Maybe that is why I can't breath now.:roll:

tommys2patrick

Bingo! I try to explain to guys nowadays about asbestos brakes and they tell me that they have not been made from asbestos since the 70's. I say yea, and when do you think those NOS brakes are from? And some heavy truck brakes were made from asbestos going well into the 80's. I have a five gallon Spackle bucket that I put play sand in and I have some holes in the bottom of it. When I get one like that I put the bucket under it and rinse it down into the bucket with the hose and then dump the wet sand into a trash bag and out for the trash. I don't want it on the ground and getting kicked up in the dust by the mower once it dries. The bag will keep the sand wet until it is buried at the dump so everyone is safe that way.

By the way, I blew out brakes with air for years just like all us old farts before we knew better. Maybe that is why I can't breath now.:roll:

When working around older vehicles like this it pays to listen to the "old farts". They learned a lot of things the hard way and had to pay the price for it. Its not just about us and our vehicles, because it could affect our children, friends etc etc.

rickf

I can see that Zout's A/C guy is catching the green disease. The picture phase is always where it starts. He will be hanging around the garage sweeping floors next and then he will be at the auctions. I see it coming.

zout

I cannot wait till the Godfather jumps in the K and fires that baby up the first time. Nothing like being there in person to really see it.

I have a funny suspicion a sneak attack is in my future from CAMO. Keep Doc away from it cause all he'll wanna do is chuck it away in a museum.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I cannot wait till the Godfather jumps in the K and fires that baby up the first time. Nothing like being there in person to really see it.
I have a funny suspicion a sneak attack is in my future from CAMO. Keep Doc away from it cause all he'll wanna do is chuck it away in a museum.
Naw...I'm trying to control myself:roll:

Heck, she waited all this time to be saved so I guess I can give her awhile longer to be "accessorized" before I take her out in public!:papabear:

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Commander Warp got some stuff returned and some other stuff ordered today so one day in the not too distant future the K18-C will not only MOVE under it's own power but will also STOP without using the Fred Flintstone brakes currently being used.:beer:

I'm actually getting excited about getting so excited!:naner::papabear:

zout

Pieces od details to work thriugh on mfg yr.model make etc descrepancy its not a civy truck but a military truck and those parts used.
Understand....some of those are exact detailed NO-one has a clue of what it is and what to match parts up to.

We're getting there and LOTS of chit happening behind the scene you have no concept of to get this together..

Glad PB is hanging in there tough as we get closer

turnkey

Nice time to take the weekend off guys ...live alittle. BBQ and a cold beer...Now that's the life...No Ice Cream truck make it a BBQ/Beer truck...I would vote for it to be the MV of the month.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Nice time to take the weekend off guys ...live alittle. BBQ and a cold beer...Now that's the life...No Ice Cream truck make it a BBQ/Beer truck...I would vote for it to be the MV of the month.
She WAS MV of the Month...last month.:beer:

So...I had just about decided to take BB and Tony for a run up to Zout's AO this weekend for lunch and to just witness the amazing progress going on.

Well....Sunday night MB dropped a bombshell on me and said she wanted me to take her to New Yuck next weekend!:shock:

I just locked my heels and told her "there's no way in he11 I'm driving to New Yuck next weekend and that's final"!!

So...the fellers are getting the conversion van ready for the trip.:oops:

Guess I will visit the K18 at another time.:papabear:

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

Seeing how she is punishing you.....might as well take in the scenic view of the BRONX.

besides its the only place we have not searched for the illusive K19 trailer.

zout

Update - front brake system totally ripped down.
Have rebuild kits coming for the wheel cylinders as they honed out nicely - pucks even look great and seat great (little leather honing). Brake hardware all degreased and cleaned up.
Turn signal switch arrived today so I am starting to collect electrical items - few pieces on BO yet - hang in there.
Few brake components on BO as well - but we'll be ready for them when they arrive.

Will stop at AutoZone on the way home tomorrow from work and creep into their brake fitting bins - Both NAPA stores near me suck as their fittings are not in the bins they say they are and brass scattered all over the floor - what a total waste.
Get the lines and only a few fittings needed.

Wonder if PB realizes while he lounges up in NY - and IF the rest of the brake system shows up for the steer axle that I can PLUG the rear lines and have brakes on the steer to drive it around - now that is funny. I doubt there will be a video of it cause my death would soon follow. (still funny tho).

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Update - front brake system totally ripped down.
Have rebuild kits coming for the wheel cylinders as they honed out nicely - pucks even look great and seat great (little leather honing). Brake hardware all degreased and cleaned up.
Turn signal switch arrived today so I am starting to collect electrical items - few pieces on BO yet - hang in there.
Few brake components on BO as well - but we'll be ready for them when they arrive.

Will stop at AutoZone on the way home tomorrow from work and creep into their brake fitting bins - Both NAPA stores near me suck as their fittings are not in the bins they say they are and brass scattered all over the floor - what a total waste.
Get the lines and only a few fittings needed.

Wonder if PB realizes while he lounges up in NY - and IF the rest of the brake system shows up for the steer axle that I can PLUG the rear lines and have brakes on the steer to drive it around - now that is funny. I doubt there will be a video of it cause my death would soon follow. (still funny tho).
Funny you should mention the trip to New Yuck. Today I had the van over in the shop and the guys were checking everything out again and everything was hunky dory. We were standing in front of the van listening to her purr and suddenly I see coolant start leaking up front!!:shock:

We shut her down and started looking around and found the radiator petcock had loosened a little. I've been driving that rascal around since Monday with zero defects and the drain petcock gets loose while we are looking at the front of the van? HTF does that happen??:roll:

Anyhoo...it's fixed and MB swears she will be ready to roll out at 05:00hrs...so I'll have some Crown tonight and set my alarm for 09:00 and plan to leave around noon.

Commander Warp you have my permission to do anything you want with the truck because I know you will not let any harm come to her.:papabear:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks