• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, hope it works out. "Anticipation, just got a lot longer it seems" Best of wishes on the further restoration of the K. Will miss the shared info. Probably will never actually even see one in my life, thanks for sharing what you have.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll bet the Chaplain did not get a copy of that video either after blackmailing PB on his New Yuck trip.rofl
And no, I did not get a copy either. I will see one soon enough.
Two possible responses to this....

1. I can neither confirm nor deny my personal access to such TOP SECRET information.

2. There are NO CLASSIFIED EMAILS on my personal server.

Carry on.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OK folks...let me try to get this train wreck back on track so all can enjoy the fruits of Zout's labor. I would hate for Zout to stop posting pics of the truck this close to completion.

Zout has taken this truck from a smelly rust bucket to a running, driving, stopping truck with lights and even a horn in probably record time for this level of work. He has spent nearly every minute of his daylight hours working in the killer heat and even in the rain working on the truck and then doing research on the truck after that.

I think after reading about the harsh conditions these trucks and crews worked in and what they were able to accomplish under those conditions he sees the truck more as an old warrior with human character rather than just an old truck that happens to be painted green.

I hope you will all refrain from anymore "ice cream and taco truck" type posts and just enjoy the old girl for what she is...a very rare piece of American Military history.:beer:

goldneagle

I was one of those members who looked forward every day to visiting this thread and witness the skillful advance being made by the "commander" in restoring the old gal to her past glory. Being an amateur fabricator I was in aw as to the drive and talent exhibited by Dave in his restoration effort. I too have been working in the Louisiana heat and humidity on my truck -so I know the effort and dedication it must have taken for Dave to push forward with the incredible restoration without any complaints. It's definitely a humbling experience for me.

I was so disappointed the other day when the flow of data (pictures and write-up) were suddenly stopped due to childish comments from the peanut gallery.

Thank you Dave for sharing your "adventure" with us. It was an honor to witness such skills at work... GE

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
zout,

I have enjoyed this thread immensely and have studied the pictures to the nth degree. I have gleaned many ideas from your posts for my M37 restoration project. It is very sad to see this thread come to an end like this. I do understand the concept of it only takes a few to SCREW IT UP for the rest of us.

Check your PMs Dave and PB.

Bert

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ignorance is displayed by those who chose not to understand history. Only by studying history can we improve on the future. For it is only by experiences can we strive to be better.

Thank you commander Zout for all the history lessons and sharing your experiences!

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK folks...let me try to get this train wreck back on track so all can enjoy the fruits of Zout's labor. I would hate for Zout to stop posting pics of the truck this close to completion.

Zout has taken this truck from a smelly rust bucket to a running, driving, stopping truck with lights and even a horn in probably record time for this level of work. He has spent nearly every minute of his daylight hours working in the killer heat and even in the rain working on the truck and then doing research on the truck after that.

I think after reading about the harsh conditions these trucks and crews worked in and what they were able to accomplish under those conditions he sees the truck more as an old warrior with human character rather than just an old truck that happens to be painted green.

I hope you will all refrain from anymore "ice cream and taco truck" type posts and just enjoy the old girl for what she is...a very rare piece of American Military history.:beer:

I have been an avid follower of this thread and privileged to be included in many text messages. I hold papabear and zout in high esteem for their dedication to the funding and restoration of this K-18's resurrection. They have and surely will continue to pour into this project with unwavering passion and skill.

I regret and apologize for anything I have posted or texted that may have been upsetting. What was purely intended as good natured banter may have been received as mockery or chiding - neither was intended nor implied.

In fact, I am envious of the time and funding available for and skillful craftsmanship being poured into the K-18 as a "war memorial" to those who served and utilized this truck and trucks like it to protect our freedom. As such, absolutely no disrespect was intended.

With great hope and expectation, we all would like to encourage y'all to keep on sharing this project with the masses.... and even the azzes within the masses. We wish you continued strength, perseverance, and stamina to seeing this through to completion. May our words and commentary be uplifting and unequivocally convey our enthusiasm and support.

From my heart....... CARRY ON.

John

Last edited:

rickf

I have followed this thread from Day one and have always advocated the use of the truck as it was originally purposed. That said, I am also a wise arse who likes to joke around a lot so if I have offended anyone in the process I apologize. I will make no more comments on this thread unless asked to.

Rick

turnkey

For more information on the WW2 Comm guys and what they didin WW2. Go to Ft. Gordon ,Ga. Siginal Corp school for the U.S. army and look at the museum they have ..Great stuff ...OH zOUT i WORKED IN A GROUP OF SIG Corp trucks during Vietnam....HF....Telephone...Satcomm link and Fiber opts...6, 2 1?2 tpn trucks with comm slide shelters on them....Spent many hours working on the gear and trucks....Nice to see a rebuilt of WW2 stuff.....If you dont have a sense of humor with this stuff .....You will go mad.....Enjoy.

zout

I listened to THE GODFATHER commonly known around here as IFS.

Anyone posting recently no worried fellas.do not have to go back far to see what set me off. I am not appologizing.

Someone decided to push the envelope which i never expected them to do.

I will listen to IFS and carry on.

zout

Turnkey.....you find pb a BC-325 and he will commit you wuth a task of setting it all up he has. The back is FILLED with all kinds of wire crap.headphones. morse code ticker thingies. Stuff with knobs all over them. Oh yeah more wire stuff. Breaker Breaker 19.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The BC-325 can get up into the CB frequencies, but it's about 395 watts to much power to be street legal on those channels. That being said, I can remember a radio tech sitting next to me operating on the CB channels with a Collins 10KW transmitter, at full power! We were playing with an overpowered rig in Rhode Island (from Maryland) while the FCC got a triangulation fix on him. Ahh, the good old days!

zout

Mike...i was laid over in Pocatello ID at a pilot for the weekend with an oversize load.

I was chatting to fellas in Flint Mich and Napoleon Oh from there with my kicker on.

They could not believe i was mobile and not ground.

Sure pissed off the folks at the counter in the Pilot truck stop. Screwed up their intercoms and two ways to the fuel islands.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is what is bad about this whole deal. Back in post 51, doghead very respectfully said that the K reminded him of an ice cream truck. In post 104 PB had a few laughs with it as well. In post 117 Zout even had some fun things to say. So woven into this entire thread is the ice cream truck humor. Suddenly now after 2000+ posts, mentioning ice cream truck in this thread has caused all this aggrivation? It sure is funny how we forget.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks