• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

goldneagle

Here is what is bad about this whole deal. Back in post 51, doghead very respectfully said that the K reminded him of an ice cream truck. In post 104 PB had a few laughs with it as well. In post 117 Zout even had some fun things to say. So woven into this entire thread is the ice cream truck humor. Suddenly now after 2000+ posts, mentioning ice cream truck in this thread has caused all this aggrivation? It sure is funny how we forget.
After a while some things stop being funny. Maybe after pouring a lot more blood and sweat into the project in ungodly high temperatures Dave no longer sees the humor in it. He doesn't get enough respect for his unselfish efforts. Just my opinion. He has my respect. :not worthy:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Here is what is bad about this whole deal. Back in post 51, doghead very respectfully said that the K reminded him of an ice cream truck. In post 104 PB had a few laughs with it as well. In post 117 Zout even had some fun things to say. So woven into this entire thread is the ice cream truck humor. Suddenly now after 2000+ posts, mentioning ice cream truck in this thread has caused all this aggrivation? It sure is funny how we forget.
Well thats all true...2000 plus posts ago. But in more recent posts as the mission has progressed Zout and I have both asked folks to stop the joking and see the truck for what she is now. I guess you didn't see those posts or they didn't fit the statement you're tying to make?

Listen folks. I explained the situation in my post 2188. If that's not a good enough explanation then to he11 with it.

We've turned a good thread into a childish pissing contest and I've had enough from all sides.

If it's not resolved with this post I'll ask the tread be locked and we can all take our bats and go home.

Now. Do we all play nice together...or do we just cancel the darn Game??

Last edited by a moderator:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd hate to see this thread closed due to some minor disagreements or short-lived differences. I hope everyone can recognize what Zout and PB have done to preserve a rare piece of our history. Perhaps early on the K18 wasn't recognizable, but she sure is today. I've been a Signal Soldier for all of my adult life and I feel I have a keen sense of history so I appreciate the efforts of Zout and PB to preserve this excellent piece of US Army and Signal Corps history. Thank you both for all that you've done.

I'm sure not many outside of the US Army Cyber Center know it, but the Signal Corps is facing some internal identity struggles. That's right, I said Cyber Center, the US Army Signal Center no longer exists. In my opinion there is a distinct difference between Cyber and Signal, and the way forward is clear. However the immediate future is one with much smaller budgets and very little room for parts of the Army that don't have an immediate purpose. Some folks in positions of power beleive Signal Corps history is irrelevant and the minuscule budget for historical preservation needs to be cut further to make more money available for other endeavors. If this comes to be, the only alternative is private efforts to preserve Signal Corps history. I applaud the efforts of Zout and PB. I cannot overstate the importance of privately funded efforts to preserve and publicize the sacrifices of past Signal Soldiers.

I don't have anything in my collection that would be appropriate for the K18 specifically, but I have a small Signal Corps artifact that is appropriate for the WWII era. To whom can I send a small donation that might be appropriate to display with the K18?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't get enough posts on my M923 Recovery and Modification thread. Maybe you guys can add a few there. I would love some feedback. :whistle:
GoldenEagle,
I've just made the jump over to your thread. Here's the link for the convenience of others wanting to check it out:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?99449-goldneagle-s-M923-recovery-and-modification-thread

I've just started reading it - GREAT SCORE with that M923!
I expect your thread may begin to rival this one now.
Carry on.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Standing down. Will gladly delete any threads that detract from the mission of the thread. Papabear, just let me know.

zout

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'd hate to see this thread closed due to some minor disagreements or short-lived differences. I hope everyone can recognize what Zout and PB have done to preserve a rare piece of our history. Perhaps early on the K18 wasn't recognizable, but she sure is today. I've been a Signal Soldier for all of my adult life and I feel I have a keen sense of history so I appreciate the efforts of Zout and PB to preserve this excellent piece of US Army and Signal Corps history. Thank you both for all that you've done.

I'm sure not many outside of the US Army Cyber Center know it, but the Signal Corps is facing some internal identity struggles. That's right, I said Cyber Center, the US Army Signal Center no longer exists. In my opinion there is a distinct difference between Cyber and Signal, and the way forward is clear. However the immediate future is one with much smaller budgets and very little room for parts of the Army that don't have an immediate purpose. Some folks in positions of power beleive Signal Corps history is irrelevant and the minuscule budget for historical preservation needs to be cut further to make more money available for other endeavors. If this comes to be, the only alternative is private efforts to preserve Signal Corps history. I applaud the efforts of Zout and PB. I cannot overstate the importance of privately funded efforts to preserve and publicize the sacrifices of past Signal Soldiers.
I don't have anything in my collection that would be appropriate for the K18 specifically, but I have a small Signal Corps artifact that is appropriate for the WWII era. To whom can I send a small donation that might be appropriate to display with the K18?
I'm afraid that's a sign of the times my Brother. There seems to be less and less money to continue on-going missions and budget cuts have nearly strangled museum type operations nation wide.

Our little group endeavors to have vehicles and some equipment from WWII to the Cold War era and we use it to inform/teach folks never involved with it what it was like and to offer those who used the equipment a chance to re-live some of their experiences.

I will GLADLY safeguard and display whatever artifact you have with the K18-C and I can assure you it will be seen and enjoyed by well over 15,000 people per year at our airshow and different events we participate in. I'll PM you my address.:beer:

SCSG4 (Mike) has donated some field phones and switchboards that will help round out the truck's equipment when we reach that phase.

Last edited:

zout

PB......there is a weight limit on the K??

But i am sure there more room for display items in the back.

Looks like this weekend Flordia folks are in for some fun that will be heading up if they are half right so we'll just see what takes place and what we can get done.

For myself we're back on track and any side issues are more than taken care of. So lets just get er on the road.

Lets all just head over to GoldenEagles thread and marvel at what he gets done as well.

zout

With a good solid short run on the engine which has been the longest - it will still require some adjustments to the carb - linkages and especially when the floor plate for the throttle plate gets installed - then more adjustments.

Still want some more walk around's with it at idle to go through the lights - voltage regulator - battery charge with the volt meter etc etc etc.

If it rains I can get the tail lights wired up being under the truck - and maybe set up a Radio in the back of the truck and talk to aliens on the MOON. - OR DIAL up PB and talk to him from his truck. Opps - not a VHF signal on his phone.

zout

RickF - when I am done with this nit picky stuff I will yank the tank out of the back and get started on it - if it rains this weekend like its being talked about it might come out a whole lot sooner. I have a good feeling I can save that tank for how PB will be using it to last for quite some time and not deteriorate.

Thanks for reminding me

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks