• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

zout

Got floor plates getting to be installed - only one left to fit is the beat to **** center hump plate that covers the valve cover. Someone smashed the chit out out of this cover - it should fit tight on an arch from front to back - NO WAY this baby fits the way it is and you can see the huge gap that exists.
Problem one - IT HAS AN ASBESTOS INNER LINER LIKE THE TWO OUTSIDE COVERS - SEE THE SECTION OF THIS KILL.
So the center section needs to be handled correctly - then reform the arch to make it fit. Everything is not as easy as it looks fellas.

Got the throttle plate in - its return spring set up correctly with great movement so PB can feel like he is hammer down headed down the road.
Got the coil remounted as well - where the stock mount is was alongside the head - fitted there it stuck above the floor plates - so it was moved properly.
You can see where I am headed moving into the weekend - so just hang in there.20150902_160828.jpg20150902_161023.jpg20150902_161112.jpg20150902_161848.jpg20150902_163356.jpg20150902_170224.jpg20150903_155237.jpg20150903_155337.jpg20150903_155702.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Don't worry about that asbestos Bro. Just don a mask and gloves, rip it off and put it in an ammo can...I'll eat it later. I have some stuff here we can re-line everything with later to reduce engine heat in the cab.:beer:

:papabear:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
It looks so.... so.... DRIVEABLE !!!
Funny you should post that. Yesterday I received a text from a number I didn't immediately recognize...It simply said "Guess who's planning to drive the K18 around this weekend"??

Well...you can imagine my shock.:shock: I immediately asked "Who dis is" and received a reply I didn't expect. I can't reveal my spy's identity but she has first hand knowledge of most of Zout's activities.:naner:

I had planned to get up there this weekend just to spend a little time with Zout and Zout-2 and possibly drive the K18 up and down the road a couple of times but life has gotten in the way...again...so I guess the Commander will have to do that for me and report back what a sweet ride it is.:drool:

Oh well...eventually I will get my turn.:driver:

zout

I doubt it had any. Pb got the unit with the floor removed and scattered throughout the truck. There are two small cover plates missing and i have some misc steel. Now the issue is get everything else done as these got added to the bottom of the to do list......it just gave some company to the other thing that was on that list.

I know i am not concered about a seal . just not that cold down here for long periods.

All PB would do is lock up my beer cooler and turn on country western on the radio (puke). So kinda lucky me.

See how many red ants i can kill in the power line field this weekend.

zout

I guess TOMORROW will answer that pretty straight forward for ya PB.

HEY - I never used any rags so far for cleanup. Zout2 bought these new cool terry cloth bath towel sets - so she ask's - have I seen any of them cause she is missing a few (place surprised look here). NA honey not a clue.
but man are they soft feeling and tender to the skin.
I bet them babies will clean up my paint guns when I get to those as well - won't scratch anything - baby soft.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I guess TOMORROW will answer that pretty straight forward for ya PB.

HEY - I never used any rags so far for cleanup. Zout2 bought these new cool terry cloth bath towel sets - so she ask's - have I seen any of them cause she is missing a few (place surprised look here). NA honey not a clue.
but man are they soft feeling and tender to the skin.
I bet them babies will clean up my paint guns when I get to those as well - won't scratch anything - baby soft.
Are they micro fiber ones? MB bought a bunch of those and I just loved them for different stuff...er I mean they disappeared.:roll:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After 47 years in its cocoon, the "ugly duckling" has emerged, alive and vibrant. She waddles like a duck. Her quack is still a bit shaky. But she's learning once again to spread her wings and FLY ! ! !

I render my most humble salute to ALL who have invested so much time, energy, talent... and let's not forget - FUNDING.... to bring this invaluable piece of history back to life.
God bless those and their talents. God bless and let us always remember those who served with this vehicle in WWII.

zout

PB is not ever going to tell you but the K being saved is strickly him. Giving me free reign on it is a tough call for anyone who owns a project someone else is going to work on and then know you would have a tough time stopping in and checking up on it.

I know there are a few members who do other projects for folks that can undersand this like Clinto-PCTrans-Ron and others i just cannot remember right now that all do outstanding work-and i for one like seeing their projects.

Try to get a night video of all the functioning lights tonight.

Working on the fuel tank so hang in there folks and THANK YOU ALL for just checking out PB's thread.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm not gonna say I'm not jealous cause you got to actually drive her first Dave, but I WILL say that if it had to be anyone but me...I'm glad it was you!!:papabear:

I toyed with the idea of shirking off my assigned duties today and coming up there for the epic event but my sense of responsibility won out and I took care of business here.aua

Besides...I know the truck is in the best hands she can be in and I have no need to check up on anything.:beer:

I just got home and watched the video on here (couldn't see it very well on the phone) and I gotta tell ya...my heart is about to beat it's way outta my chest. Almost like the first time I saw MB!!

You've done well my Brother and you have my eternal gratitude!:not worthy:

P.S.....I'm composing a ballad in honor of you and your amazing feats!

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

Fuel tank is NEARLY cleaned up. Started in it right after running it yesterday....see how the rest of today unfolds.

Body work.touch up paint is not far away.then total cleanup.

Where did i put that 45 foot antenna for setup static display????

Heck-i might just take a spin a rooney around the subdivision today.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks