• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Neat article Dave, my dad was there in 41 during one of the 41 maneuvers. They still had horse drawn 75MM guns la pop.jpg he went back in 42 and had CCKW's with 105mm. 1.5T Chevy mess truck la pre.jpg.
The bologna ad on page 5 makes me want to "frizzle" some up for lunch.

nattieleather

It's alive....IT'S ALIVE! :D Great Job there Zout! If you guys need leather pieces for gaskets or what not please let me know I'll send you a box full of end cuts that are at my shop. Also any thoughts to sprucing up the steering wheel? Just wondering....

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I would like to thank you guys for sharing all this with us, some guys don't have the ability the space time or money for their own projects. On top of doing excellent work you guys have chronicled this so well some of us feel like we have been part of it, at least as a cheerleader. Would like to thank you also for the numerous times you have mentioned the K being able to SAFELY stop. I feel this is the most important subsystem of any vehicle but is sometimes overlooked by some people. Thanks again guys. Is it almost time to round up zout a new project?
Actually, I have my eye on an aircraft carrier, just haven't figured a way to float it up the Chattahooche river yet!!:roll:.

zout

From just my own personal curiousity led med me down this path today.
Poland was invaded and the U.S. knew they had to pucker up and get their chit together. War Games.
Therefore the LA Manuvers. Read about i t.....its our history.

Post ya up a few more pics tonight

zout

And after that blah blah explanation for me screwing off today -
The original door panels were screwed on from the inside - well their not holding up anymore so they are rivited.
Exterior seams were leaded together - when the doors got closed folks would put their hands on the main panel an close the door - sooner or later this has to give and it did - followed the body rivets and did this - then clean up the seam and then paint.

Areas behind the steps I was never happy with so its time to repair these as well - this will all be done by end of this weekend.
Repair end to the fuel tank is done with a Stainless Steel cap and Stainless Steel rivets - then sealed from the outside and the Red Coat sealed inside. Its not a beauty contest but a little smoothing is in sight before installing before the end of this weekend and tested.
Here are a few pics20150908_153400.jpg20150908_155135.jpg20150908_160117.jpg20150908_160122.jpg20150909_152041.jpg20150909_152054.jpg20150909_152917.jpg20150909_154428.jpg

goldneagle

goldneagle

Yes, I saw them...but what do you mean? Please explain what you saw...it's important to me.
I am referring to the USA and W601416 under it in large white letters. Maybe Dave could put some thing similar to it on your K-18.

Also what is mounted above the windshield on both sides? Antennas or mirrors? It's hard to tell. ( In the newspaper photo)

zout

No to making the serial # on the hood to match - PB's markings are already in place.

Centercfrontal roof is the crank out vent as it gets hotter than poo poo in there. Left and r i ght of the vent are spotlights and what really stands out are their stanchions. The ones on th u s K were mia and holes were alreay previously filled in. PB has the vent though.

The box roof has two OEM worthless vents that are spinnies with covers on the roof. Better just to open the doors both sides.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I am referring to the USA and W601416 under it in large white letters. Maybe Dave could put some thing similar to it on your K-18.
Also what is mounted above the windshield on both sides? Antennas or mirrors? It's hard to tell. ( In the newspaper photo)
Do you mean like this GE?

I made up the registration number using the "W" for War Department, the year (41), the serial # (035), and the "-S" indicating Signal Truck = W41035-C. We could not find the original numbers when Dave was removing the paint.

We DO have the original data plate with the serial # of.....035 though.

Attachments

goldneagle

Do you mean like this GE?

I made up the registration number using the "W" for War Department, the year (41), the serial # (035), and the "-S" indicating Signal Truck = W41035-C. We could not find the original numbers when Dave was removing the paint.

We DO have the original data plate with the serial # of.....035 though.
Sorry i dd not notice you already had that on the driver's side. I wonder if they had the markings on both sides or either side..... Thank you for the clarification. Carry on sgt. :driver:

zout

Both sides.
I am still searching as to why the yellow #17 in 3in were on the unit same layer as the Insignia.....but it was exactly the same place lower left of the 3rd Army.

zout

Nope - the spotlights and stanchions were specifically made for that model.

Got the fuel tank finished and water tested under pressure - no leaks - installed and have to hook up lines tomorrow - it will be fired up and ran after this as well. In line fuel filter being used.
After a year some slight spots reared their ugly head - when doors were closed original fasteners started popping out (its only a truck fellas you do not have to slam them).
Doors closed from the outside - folks would put their hands in the middle of the door panel and slam them - seams are all leaded and gave way - (its only a truck fellas you do not have to slam them).

Lower corners behind the steps I was never happy with and kind of hoped I would get er back to do what I just did - tidy them up.
Inside door panels riveted in - door seams where leaded were rivited in - both using Stainless Steel Rivets.
Doors opened to far and cutting into the front fenders - these were taken care of as well.

12v kicker battery tray made and installed - access can be made just like accessing the 6v battery but its a little lower and tucked up out of the way.

The 19th PB and crew will be coming to get it and I have only a couple things left to finish up before pressure washing it. Here are some pics of events that have been happening - getting it ready to PB to take it to the GA RALLY in OCT and next up will be the Veterans Day Parade in Columbus which is spectacular.20150910_155943.jpg20150910_155952.jpg20150910_160002.jpg20150910_160507.jpg20150910_161640.jpg20150910_162659.jpg20150910_170915.jpg20150911_155319.jpg20150911_155324.jpg20150911_155345.jpg20150911_155349.jpg

rickf

Nice, the rivets look original. I must have missed the part about the kicker battery. Is it wired to a relay to come in at start or only as needed? I like the stealth install.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks