• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
IT'S THE 20TH DAVE!!! WE ARE PICKING HER UP ON SATURDAY THE 20TH!!!:papabear:

I'm beginning to think you are telling folks the 19th so y'all can have a party and cruise around in "Ole Betsy" without me!:shock:

zout

Well now you've really gone and fouled things up PB.
All the deceptive and confusing moves to throw off the Z SHERIFF have been thrown under the bus ....now he's really going to be weary of any further obscounder plan I may throw out there.

Battery question...with the kicker it will fire up in about a half spin. With the 6v only she will roll over 5 to 6 times. Just less wear and tear.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Four (4) days and a wakeup!! I don't count today because I'm already awake.:naner:

Got lost on some website which I can't find again but it had some statistics on the K18-C...like it's supposed to get 10MPH loaded, didn't say if that was with trailer or not.

I've found a gas station here that still sells non-ethanol gas so I'm gonna get some this week so I can drive her around some next week. I'll also have a tag waiting to slap on her.:-D

Can anyone tell I'm a little excited??:jumpin:

zout

Sirloin steak hamburgers FOR SATURDAY THE 19TH BB's favorite with mayo.

Running off the oem tank at this time. Will be bringing it to the top of the hill tonight.

rickf

Four (4) days and a wakeup!! I don't count today because I'm already awake.:naner:

Got lost on some website which I can't find again but it had some statistics on the K18-C...like it's supposed to get 10MPH loaded, didn't say if that was with trailer or not.

I've found a gas station here that still sells non-ethanol gas so I'm gonna get some this week so I can drive her around some next week. I'll also have a tag waiting to slap on her.:-D

Can anyone tell I'm a little excited??:jumpin:
I sure hope they were never in a hurry!:twisted:

zout

I highly suspect how unique appearing it is....you will not be getting far or going fast with everyone wanting to pull you over to see it.....touch it......find out WTH it is.

ALL PICTURES COPYWRITED BY PB.

rickf

Oops...I meant 10 miles per gallon (MPG) not miles per hour.:oops:

I suspect the only time they got in a hurry was when enemy bombers were approaching the airfields they were operating on.:shock:
And I would guess they were running for holes, not taking the target with them. May be why the K18 is so rare.

Oldfart

And I would guess they were running for holes, not taking the target with them. May be why the K18 is so rare.
I think rarity is more a function of production dates, and the need for all wheel drive. As the K18 was being put into service, the Government was planning how to overcome the shortage of equipment for an expanding army by mass producing essentially the same vehicle for as many mission profiles as possible (CCKW). Rather than converting an essentially civilian cab and chassis to military needs, it was more efficient, quicker and cheaper to mass produce a military purpose vehicle from scratch. Then there is the issue of rapidly improving radio gear that was able to increase range with lighter and less bulky equipment reducing the need large transport trucks and trailers. Things just conspired to make the K-18 a rare truck.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I think rarity is more a function of production dates, and the need for all wheel drive. As the K18 was being put into service, the Government was planning how to overcome the shortage of equipment for an expanding army by mass producing essentially the same vehicle for as many mission profiles as possible (CCKW). Rather than converting an essentially civilian cab and chassis to military needs, it was more efficient, quicker and cheaper to mass produce a military purpose vehicle from scratch. Then there is the issue of rapidly improving radio gear that was able to increase range with lighter and less bulky equipment reducing the need large transport trucks and trailers. Things just conspired to make the K-18 a rare truck.
From what I've been able to find/read the Signal Corp was looking for something basically "off the shelf" to get the radios of the day in a ground mobile platform and at the same time going full bore to get the 4X4 vehicles and newer radios on line.

As near as I can tell, there were around 362 K18-C model (radio trucks) placed into service.

I think the reason they were mostly used at Army level and on airstrips is that the radios had good reach (for the time) and 4X4 wasn't usually required in those areas.

Oldfart

Exactly! However, in spite of their bulk and difficulty in shipping a truck and trailer that could not be "knocked down" or in some way compressed for shipping, they wound up in some pretty far flung places. I found pictures of a couple of K-18 remains in a Papa New Guinea scrap yard. Not exactly paved roads everywhere in that part of the world at that time.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks