• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

zout

I am no expert and only know from all the documents i have looked at that you both are pretty much dead on nuts correct. Besides it was not long before civilian vehicle production was halted to free up manufacturing identical vehicles much more suitable for overall military use and standards instead of what's available we can hack up and get it to work.

The Lousiania Manuvers aided in selection and getting rid of almost non productive vehicles and battle tactics..
But the military put them to use elsewhere as Olefart brought out. Those pictures are on this thread somewhere.

Great points fellas.

rickf

Exactly! However, in spite of their bulk and difficulty in shipping a truck and trailer that could not be "knocked down" or in some way compressed for shipping, they wound up in some pretty far flung places. I found pictures of a couple of K-18 remains in a Papa New Guinea scrap yard. Not exactly paved roads everywhere in that part of the world at that time.
Back then people knew how to push a vehicle out of mud. Nowadays if they can't get a wrecker or another vehicle to pull with it stays stuck.:roll:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Two days and a wakeup!!!

Looks like there will be four of us + BabyBear coming up for the recovery. We'll probably just use the dually and gooseneck trailer so we just need one vehicle.

It will be good to have the ole girl home again, especially since I can actually drive her around some now!:jumpin::papabear:

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
ONE DAY and a wakeup!!

I had a drone fly over Zout's AO just to check on my baby today and it seems he has her ready to roll and sitting at the top of the hill awaiting transport.:beer:

We plan on closing in on Zout's AO around 12:00hrs...ish Saturday the 19th to take "Ole Betsy" home.

Sadly, MB has broken my little heart!:cry:
I told her I was gonna drive Ole Betsy home 2 or 3 times a week and she said "Fine, just make sure you park it in the back yard behind the storage building when you come home and leave before daylight so the neighbors can't see it"!:shock:

Hmmm...come to think of it...I have that nice camper at the terminal all hooked up to utilities so...why go home??:shrugs:

Guess I have some thunking to do??

Here she is...all ready to roll out:

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ONE DAY and a wakeup!!

I had a drone fly over Zout's AO just to check on my baby today and it seems he has her ready to roll and sitting at the top of the hill awaiting transport.:beer:

We plan on closing in on Zout's AO around 12:00hrs...ish Saturday the 19th to take "Ole Betsy" home.

I told her I was gonna drive Ole Betsy home 2 or 3 times a week and she said "Fine, just make sure you park it in the back yard behind the storage building when you come home and leave before daylight so the neighbors can't see it"!:shock:

Hmmm...come to think of it...I have that nice camper at the terminal all hooked up to utilities so...why go home??:shrugs:

Hark !

Are we missing a photo attachment here PB???

goldneagle

ONE DAY and a wakeup!!

Maybe she will change her mind when she sees how pretty it now is. :papabear:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure wish I had the time to come hang out and admire more of the commander's skill and handywork. I guess I will have to wait till the parade. I seem to recall calling dibs on driving her in the parade this year? If Dave makes it but doesn't bring joker, I will give up the seat so he can see the crowds reaction first hand.

zout

Just make sure when MB parks your carcass behind the house all the radio's are operable and your antenna is up so you can go "on air".

Whenever Carl gets to the woodwork i cannot wait till the whole picture starts unfolding. That day will be something special as well.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Just make sure when MB parks your carcass behind the house all the radio's are operable and your antenna is up so you can go "on air".
Whenever Carl gets to the woodwork i cannot wait till the whole picture starts unfolding. That day will be something special as well.
Well...since you asked...I've encountered my first problem with that. Since you don't allow wood to be painted I've been searching all the normal outlets and so far I haven't found anywhere that sells OD green wood!:naner:

OH...and we're down to a wake up!! See ya tomorrow Bro...God willing and the creek don't rise.:beer:

Oldfart

I think Fred LaPerriere had that problem when he restored the cabinets in his weather truck. His wife was reportedly fussed that the "better than her kitchen cabinets" oak work in the weather truck got painted O.D. Maybe his MVPA awards have taken some of the sting out of having to paint all the pretty oak Olive Drab.

Are the Creek restless again??

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today is the big day!!!

Congrats Larry on getting finished

Huge kudos for to Zout

Hope to be around by 2:45 I have a long morning!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Today is the big day!!! Congrats Larry on getting finished Huge kudos for to Zout Hope to be around by 2:45 I have a long morning!!
Yup!! Heading out now for breakfast with the fellers, then we're headed North East to bag "Ole Betsy".

At 10:00hrs there will be a diversion in Lilburn, Georgia to allow us to sneak in under the nose of that pesky sheriff.

Attachments

zout

Dang - so this is what it is like to sit for a while on Sat morning and have a second and third cup of coffee watching birds and relaxing HUH!! feels weird.
Gave #2 a great opportunity to then hand me a CHORE LIST - already got one honey - putting together a pickup for my oldest grandsons first vehicle he has been helping me with - when its finished I will see if ya still have that list.

Been quite a while seeing the hit crew from CAMO up here - Godfather has them doing collections again (in another sort of manner).

We're looking forward to a great time up here my friend.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well...since you asked...I've encountered my first problem with that. Since you don't allow wood to be painted I've been searching all the normal outlets and so far I haven't found anywhere that sells OD green wood!:naner:

OH...and we're down to a wake up!! See ya tomorrow Bro...God willing and the creek don't rise.:beer:
PB, just go on any military property and all the trees are made of OD wood. Ft. Benning is your best bet. :naner:

zout

Not yet rickf..........cause i have not thrown on the hamburgers but the home made jack daniels baked beans are almost ready.
Will get some pics up soon cause i know at least two people are waiting. First one being me.

rickf

JD baked beans! Let's see, If I left now I would be there about ....................................midnight. And that is with no stops! Oh well, enjoy a plate for me will ya?

zout

OK - it was soo much fun it was hard to get away to post anything. Not bragging but the food was awesome and the baked beans are scrapped to the bottom of the crock pot. Neighbors who mostly showed up from watching this the last year were enthusiastic more than military folks I have witnessed. They seem to grasp the importance of it all and kept watching progress till today - and they all showed up. Wonder where the supposidly folks who want to preserve history are ????? \Joe Blow neighbors just blew those folks away and went away more patriotic - makes ya rethink stuff.

Here is a video of the Owner driving it after some finagaling went on behind the scene - how can ya pick it up without a spin around a subdivision - dang near had to twist his arm. Before that Troy and I took a spin.
https://youtu.be/HOcXuOwVAW8

Here are other pics from different folks and their view on happenings:100_3028.jpg100_3030.jpg100_3031.jpg100_3032.jpg20150919_142310.jpg20150919_144622.jpg20150919_144831.jpg20150919_144834.jpg20150919_144857.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks