• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1943 Bobbed CCKW

Snohomishscott

First, no haters. I didn't bob it. I bought it that way three+ years ago. Ya, it will never be a collector piece, but it is a fun ride that is actually drivable. Some of you Washington members may have seen it up for sale in 2009. It was owned by a local utility company. The owner had his heavy equipment mechanic work on it when he ran out of other work to do. Brakes totally rebuilt including the master, 12 ton hydraulic dump bed on PTO, radial replacement tires, custom top and seat covers made by a boat top manufacturer, 2 speed rear end, dualmatic hubs on the front, and a bunch of of other things I can't think of right now. All of the ID plates are there (November 1943 build date). Power plant seems to be rebuilt, but original. Runs like a top. I did cut off the massive front bumper built by the utility company. You can see it in the attached picture. It looks even better now. I'll try to post a few more pictures later. I can even get it up beyond 50 mph with the shorter wheel base and extra 2 speed gear in the rear. It was an amazing price too. It is a fun rig that people love and it can be driven around town without issues. Everyone wants to ask and talk about it. Next summer it goes up for sale. I'll have to ask you guys for some pricing advice then.

So here it is:

Attachments

buggyman

Wow, I love it. I REALLY like the old ones :)
I'm down in Bend, if you ever come this way I would love to take my 923 out with you for a spin :)))))))

Happy Trails!
Paul

saddamsnightmare

November 5th, 2013.

Snohomishscott:

So, it should be rated like what, a ton and a quarter capacity now? The WWII CCKW's were nowhere near as beefy as the M35A series that replaced the GMC children the M35 and M135. We had the Korean War stepchildren of the CCKW, and man, after driving an M35A you would never get me back into the later GMC's. I would suspect it should pull better without the third axle in the drive system. Have a Good Evening!

Snohomishscott

November 5th, 2013.

Snohomishscott:

So, it should be rated like what, a ton and a quarter capacity now?
I use it mostly for just fun. I loaded 2 tons of gravel in it the other day and could not notice much of a difference in anything, but it was probably overloaded - certainly for braking with hydrovac single circuit vacuum brakes... The Washington State Patrol fully inspected it and licensed it for 16,500 lbs GVW, but that would be crazy. Without the third axel it is really fun to drive, not what I would call easy, but a lot easier than other CCKWs. It confuses the old WWII vets when they see it. I would put it in the category of really nice rat rod with mostly original parts I guess. My mechanic wants me to drop a 350 v8 into it. That is an interesting thought. The six is running like a champ, though. The dump bed is awesome. Can not say enough good about that feature.

Last edited: