• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1944 MB and GPW barn finds

macibell111

I am going to look at a original MB and GPW both 1944's I think. Still have Army insignia, pioneer kits and windshield gun scabbard on both. I am trading 2 antique gas pumps which I restored. My customer wants to trade me 2 jeeps for my 2 pumps. I am very excited about it, just hoping there is no rust. Someone did install a warn winch on the Willys. I have only seen a pic of the Willys so hopefully I will get both of them soon. I thought the forum would like to here about this find and think I am getting the better end of the deal. Will post pics when and if this transaction happens and love all the info on your site. I will have a lot of questions down the line, like should I keep them original or restore. Sometimes keeping old and untouched is the better thing to do. Thanks Jack from Calif.

Last edited by a moderator:

Another Ahab

That sounds like a great find; nice!

It'd be great if you can post a pic of the old barn, too (please).

They're not too many of them left anymore and they're all going fast.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking forward to seeing them. If there is still original finish and markings, you are correct, get some opinions here and at G503 on whether or not to do a restoration. Most need it.

macibell111

i am a little worried whether the guy has any paperwork on them.should i get them even if no paperwork exists.and can i register them in calif.as far as the barn they have been movedto a newer dryer facility.still have air in the tires and army markings top bows and straps etc.supposidly they do run.but i will find out more on saturday.thanks for the quick response.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yes, titles are easily obtained, unmolested original Jeeps are not. I have done numerous bonded titles on barn find Jeeps, it is worth it for something as valuable are these are.

macibell111

Yes it will be hard but I am thinking of leaving them in the original condition. Providing they are not rusted two pieces. The picture I saw looks like they are pretty well-preserved. Saturday cannot come soon enough.

turnkey

once saw 2 willeys jeeps in a 3 ring show, they had been made into clown cars...great paint job all the kids loved it....Sounds like a great deal for you, have fun with them.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IF they are not rusted, don't touch them besides maintenance and maybe a wet towel to wipe the dust off.

Whatever you do, don't turn around and sell them to some kid so he turns it into a rock crawler!

macibell111

these are all good points .no rock crawlers.i just did some measuring and found that i can fit both of them in my shop.might have to sell my woodsplitter and my harley to make more room.but it will be worth it.looking forward to sending pics to u guys thanks Jack

Another Ahab

these are all good points .no rock crawlers.i just did some measuring and found that i can fit both of them in my shop.might have to sell my woodsplitter and my harley to make more room.but it will be worth it.looking forward to sending pics to u guys thanks Jack
A good tarp could cover each of them. Would that work?

macibell111

if they are not rusted, don't touch them besides maintenance and maybe a wet towel to wipe the dust off.

Whatever you do, don't turn around and sell them to some kid so he turns it into a rock crawler!
hey bikeman i have a son in ft bragg he is in the armory in the 82nd.and another son in special forces 10th groug going to train sf soldiers in bragg .thanks for the reply

dmetalmiki

We are so waiting to see pictures of these rare barn finds. Post up when you have them in your possession. And try to leave them original "as is" if possible, after some cleaning and servicing.

macibell111

barn finds

just got these pics of the willys and gpw.wasnt as great as i thought they were they were over sold by the seller.bvut as for the willys it has a great no rust body but a slightly hammered frame and the gpw has a great frame and a rust free body both have not run for 15 years and were worked pretty hard on the ranch they were stored at.in my opinion i think they need restoration.on both but the willys was an orinal surlus crate jeep and they both have all of the military goods on them including the conbat wheels on the gpw which i more partial too it is not the early script jeep though.if u guys have any questions pertaining to the two of these fine specimans just ask and i will tell u what u want to know,the jeeps were unavailable due to the potential sale of the ranch which the new buyer wanted the jeeps to be sold with the property but the deal fell through so the people called me and said that i could get them if i wanted.now i have 3 ww2 jeeps that are available to me .what a delemma to be in.thanks jack

Attachments

Another Ahab

Rust-free, and TWO of them!?

I'm sort of glad that they're out-of-reach there on the Left Coast, because if they were more available I just might be tempted to make an offer.

macibell111

i forgot to tell all of u that the paint on the hood of the gpw had yellow on it aso it was relaced at on time or painted the undercarriage was pretty dirty on both of them.so what do u guys think about these two jeeps.

Attachments

Foxtrot Oscar

" ... and were worked pretty hard on the ranch they were stored at. "

No Jeep worked harder than the ones on the Normandy beaches and the slopes of Monte Cassino - in my humble opinion.

You should sell your house and mortgage your wife to do what it takes to secure those fine Steel Soldiers!

Looking beyond the focal point - That's a nice Fergie tractor, some sort of Flivver, a Model A? and maybe a red CJ5?

I'm no expert...

Plus a large collection of iron cart-wheels on the fence.

The 'Double R' ranch is a collectors paradise. :drool: (drooling).

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Each of those is worth $10,000.
Considering what they are (genuine, and storage condition), that price doesn't seem too scary.

And that's what they're worth. There is always the chance that the owner might let them go for even half that or something, who knows?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks