• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1951 M48 Tractor recovery

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck was 700 dollars, which was quite the deal considering he told clinto he wanted $125 for a door glass. The front pins are 7/8" and thank god we were prepared for that. We used grade 8 7/8" bolts with bushings from tractor supply. The tow bar cobble job actually worked great. I don't believe he knew it was a tractor and I also believe he does not think gassers are worth much, and that is why the price was so low. Comparing the pictures from when OPCOM was there years ago to ours, there is little difference and almost everything is still there and unsold.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
just for your info, the front pins are 15/16, a lot 0f the old deuces had the 15/16, BFRs old compresser truck had that size and some of maccus 's trucks had them also

rdixiemiller

I think, although I am not sure, that the old 5 ton tractor spare tire carrier is very similar in design. While not absolutely correct, Shirley's has a bunch of them. I will try to help out with the rare tractor parts, I may be able to get my hands on some early M275A1 parts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know what strikes me as odd? The fuel tank on the M48 is on the wrong side. Before giving me any lessons on tank placement on deuce tractors, remember who you're talking to. The tank on that M48 should be on the right side.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree Gene. And looking at that Corps of Engineers data plate on the frame tells me we may never know what kind of creation the Corps had on it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well head out tomorrow morning to swap the water buffalo for most of the tractor parts. Not crazy about the swap but M149's are easy to find vice M48/M275 parts. :cry:

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SECO in Augusta. Getting all tractor stuff but the spare tire carrier/tool box (have a line on those but big $$$$$). I have VERY little in the M149 so in the long run isn't a bad deal. :roll:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like you said, the 149 is much easier to find than the back stuff off a deuce tractor. It's neat that you worked out a swap deal with them. Buying that stuff cash would have broke the bank.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well spent 4.5 hours grinding. Bubba liked to weld. Finally starting to look like a tractor.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, I am trying there is so much left to do on the M48 though. You need to take 1 extra day when you get here this fall to get your engine. There are alot of MV places to see within 200 miles of here a guy could spend a few days just looking. I have found several odd MV's from multiple 8x8's to dumps.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the splash shields out from the cab and started working on the pair of NOS front gasser fenders I acquired. Has anyone ever seen the splash shields that unbolt?

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well haven't made alot of posts on this recently. The move to NOLA killed my working on MV time. Anyway, found the super rare spare tire carrier/tool box over a year ago. I just could not make myself pay almost as much for the rack as I paid for the truck. Today I did (yeah no pics). Everytime I deal with SECO I trade otherwise I simply can't afford it. Two months ago I bought a lot of soft top frames from WI for $29. I sold 25$ worth at the GA rally. I kept 3 which TNJ sells for 62$ each and traded for the rack (which was $480). As soon as they said they would trade I was off (forgot camera). So the way I figure it they paid me to take the carrier. It came off a M342A2, The real B@@@@ is: I picked it up from the deepest buried truck in the lot covered in prickers and poison ivy while wearing shorts!:roll: Then while leaving I see 2 M342's in the open!:twisted: Anyway, now I either have the parts or have plans on picking up all the sheetmetal for both the M48 and M59!!!fat lady sings HAPPY DAY!!!!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks