• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1951 Reo m35 gasser engine temperature

mthullm54a2

I have a 1951 Reo gasser and when I drive up the mountain I live on ,1200 ft in four miles with some steep areas my engine temperature goes up to 200 degrees the out side temp has been anywhere from 80 to 100 degrees is this normal I have tried in high range and low and at different speeds but the temp is still around and it also requires cranking the engine for a bit with my foot on the gas to start it after I shut it down after about ten minutes of being shut down any help would be appreciated

rustystud

I have a 1951 Reo gasser and when I drive up the mountain I live on ,1200 ft in four miles with some steep areas my engine temperature goes up to 200 degrees the out side temp has been anywhere from 80 to 100 degrees is this normal I have tried in high range and low and at different speeds but the temp is still around and it also requires cranking the engine for a bit with my foot on the gas to start it after I shut it down after about ten minutes of being shut down any help would be appreciated
Just like NDT said. All sounds normal. These engine ran hot. When I was an apprentice my journyman who trained me on gears had been in Korea. He said these engines couldn't go over the pass (Snoqualmie) without stopping several times to cool down. It has to do with the basic engine design as they tried larger radiators to keep them cool, but nothing seemed to work.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
200 degrees is not abnormal when compared to today's engine temperatures. I think all is normal for the engine's design, especially with the comments of others here. I assume you have a thermostat in it. Some think, runs hot, remove the thermostat, but actually in most cases it does not help because the thermostat acts as a required restriction to coolant flow allowing it more time in the radiator to transfer heat. With it out, coolant can wash through the radiator so fast it does not have time to properly exchange the coolant heat to the air. Also make sure your radiator is clean both inside and out, fan belts properly tensioned.

waayfast

What they said plus my gasser (avatar) does not like to start after it has been run and warmed up. Almost like vapor lock. On really hot days you may get to enjoy another cold drink so she has time to cool out a bit before you get to go.

But, this is with out a doubt, the sweetest sounding dang thing-------------!

Years ago when I first had the truck, I bought a LDT multi-fuel engine in the can to swap out the 331. It's still in the can, never have changed it-never will.

Enjoy!

Jim

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M37 used to seemingly vapor lock. An older guy told me to briefly pull out the choke as it was winding down after shutting off the ignition to put some fuel in the intake, that seemed to help. I also wrapped insulation around the fuel lines wherever I could in the engine bay to keep the heat off them. That helped also.

Barrman

Another Gasser owner chiming in with it sounds normal.

I found on 90° plus days that 48 mph on the highway was the happy speed engine temperature wise. Pulling a heavy load in the heat 42 in 4th and around 35 in 3rd seemed to be the right rpm to keep moving and below 200°.

Having to floor the throttle on hot starts is just the nature of the exhaust manifold heat cooking fuel out of the float bowl into the engine when it is off. Make sure your air filter is clean and the oil in the filter is clean.

I have had better success by flooring the throttle on engine shut down, using the hand throttle to hold it open when the engine is off. Then cranking it that way with my hand on the cable handle until it starts. It still has to turn over a bit, bit not as long. Just twist the handle before cranking so it will for sure go in when the engine fires and you push.

Attachments

rustystud

Another Gasser owner chiming in with it sounds normal.

I found on 90° plus days that 48 mph on the highway was the happy speed engine temperature wise. Pulling a heavy load in the heat 42 in 4th and around 35 in 3rd seemed to be the right rpm to keep moving and below 200°.

Having to floor the throttle on hot starts is just the nature of the exhaust manifold heat cooking fuel out of the float bowl into the engine when it is off. Make sure your air filter is clean and the oil in the filter is clean.

I have had better success by flooring the throttle on engine shut down, using the hand throttle to hold it open when the engine is off. Then cranking it that way with my hand on the cable handle until it starts. It still has to turn over a bit, bit not as long. Just twist the handle before cranking so it will for sure go in when the engine fires and you push.
I still have two of these old beasts and soon they both will be gone. If I did decide to keep them though I was going to redesign the intake/exhaust system. Go with some homebuilt "headers" and some kind of intake that would take a two barrel "Holley" carburetor.

mthullm54a2

I don't know if I would do it but I did call delta cam in Tacoma and they said they can regrind a performance cam out of the original and I was thinking some head work like porting and polishing and home made tuned headers probably tri y design and a good carb to match it and if possible a good ignition system but I don't know what I will do or money will allow I would also like to make a show truck out of it but still not sure

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rusty Stud and mthallm54a2,, we always wondered what we could do with the 602 gas engine if it was modified as stated on here for the M35 motor. Years ago there was a trucking company that used hopped up 602 motors. Made more power than anything else on the road at the time. I will ask my son where he read about them and post it.