• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1951 Reo M48-New Toy

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Naw, just pulling chains. Preserve them. Reminds me though, I have to find the brass data plates for my winch, lost them in the garage a few years back.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hndrsonj,

Kudos to you for the eagle eye on spying the special nature of that truck.

And a profound thanks for preserving that piece of history! We are fortunate to have you as one of our members. I hope the project gives you 2 1/2 tons of fun!

Rick

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is completely bolted back together (minus gas tank and radiator) and has the correct rust free gasser sheet metal. Can't wait till the move to WY so I can start working on them again!
m481.jpg
m482.jpg
m483.jpg
m484.jpg
m485.jpg

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even marked Reo! Nice score!
That plate is exactly like the plate in the M48 cab from Montana. It is different from the earlier plate from mine though. Haven't decided if i'll reproduce the plate I have or just use one of these.
m486.jpg
m487.jpg
m489.jpg
m4810.jpg
m4811.jpg
m4812.jpg
m4813.jpg
m4814.jpg
m4815.jpg
m4816.jpg

Last edited:

Bradcroft87

Let's see some pictures of your M48! I can get some better pictures of the plate.
Awesome thank you, I'll get a few pictures. I'm completely needle scaling it right now. But most of the stuff was missing. I have a plate lined up and ramps. But the spare tire rack are almost impossible to find now. So unfortunately I will have to use a 800 series for now. I will make all the decking in the shop also. Its hard to find any info or pictures besides yours. If you ever have time and could possibly get me some measurements of of yours that would be amazing.

Attachments

Bradcroft87

What does the back of the frame look like? So is it a real M48 or are you making a replica? Here's some pics.

Thank you very much. I should have stated I'm make a replica as best as possible. I have been looking everywhere for a true m48. Yours is the only one I know of. Mine started as a m49a2. But the tank was heavy corroded. I have a other cargo bed but don't need two cargo trucks haha. My deceased father in law was a truck driver some I'm making it in honor of him. I'm try to get it as correct as possible. The hardest parts are finding the tire rack, deck covering and ramps. So for know I have to use what I can find. The spare tire rack came from a m52. The plate and ramps I'm getting are from a 900 series 5 ton. I can't find any m275 ramps close to the west coast to use. And shipping even the ramps would cost a fortune. So unfortunately it will not be a 100% replica but I am trying the best I can. I am still going to use the side exhaust but this one will have a multi fuel.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks