• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 M-44 Studebaker Deuce questions

AndrewW9

Hello all, I am new to this website and group, so if it is posted in the wrong spot I am sorry. I have found a truck on for sale which I would like to buy, but I need to know a few things first. It is a 1952 m-44 studebaker 6x6 which was axle chopped. It is powered by a 12 valve cummins backed by an allison automatic. I know the engine is clearly not stock, but did this transmission ever come in these trucks? it is also sitting on 46" michelin tires. Another big concern of mine is that it doesnt have a title. I know they were never issued one. It also doesn't have a vin #, just an identification tag, which I will attach a picture of. Is this the only piece of identification that came on these trucks? if so how would I go about getting it titled. I have heard of the Vermont titling option, but how does it work if there is no vin #? I would ultimately want to get it titled and registered so I can drive it on the road. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard!
Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway!

I'm not very familiar with the M44's of that vintage.
However, I can chime in on your titling and VIN questions....

1. Title requirements vary from state to state. What state are we talking about? ( Your profile location lists only a zip code and the website rules say we need to display at least your STATE. And your city will prove quite helpful as well in preventing being asked over and over again.)

2. All vehicles DO HAVE a VIN, albeit seldom is it the civilian standard 17 alpha-numeric format you're accustomed to. The US Goverment Data Plate is a good starting place, but also look on the frame rails in or near the front wheel wells. It's probably metal stamped there as well.

3. ANY vehicle being sold without a title is a BIG RED FLAG! You always run the risk of an MV having been "misappropriated" from Uncle Sam. My advice is to insist that the SELLER obtain and provide a clear title or NO DEAL.... FINAL!

I'm sure others will contribute their knowledge and opinions as well.

Again, WELCOME ABOARD!!!

AndrewW9

Thank you for the reply, I changed my location now, thanks for the tip! Also I did a quick google search and it says vin tags weren't issued until about 1954, so is it possible that it never had a vin?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard!
Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway!

I'm not very familiar with the M44's of that vintage.
However, I can chime in on your titling and VIN questions....

1. Title requirements vary from state to state. What state are we talking about? ( Your profile location lists only a zip code and the website rules say we need to display at least your STATE. And your city will prove quite helpful as well in preventing being asked over and over again.)

2. All vehicles DO HAVE a VIN, albeit seldom is it the civilian standard 17 alpha-numeric format you're accustomed to. The US Goverment Data Plate is a good starting place, but also look on the frame rails in or near the front wheel wells. It's probably metal stamped there as well.

3. ANY vehicle being sold without a title is a BIG RED FLAG! You always run the risk of an MV having been "misappropriated" from Uncle Sam. My advice is to insist that the SELLER obtain and provide a clear title or NO DEAL.... FINAL!

I'm sure others will contribute their knowledge and opinions as well.

Again, WELCOME ABOARD!!!

It looks like that zip code comes back to Ohio.
so here a Ohio thread.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your VIN is the same as the mfg serial number M14479 which will also be stamped in the frame by the left front spring shackle. Go to your DMV and have them run the number. If it comes back with no data, ask them the process for lost title.

davidb56

Lost/no title can be a nightmare when trying to get the required signature/s , especially if the last registered owner is unwilling, cannot be found or dead.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks