• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 M35 OA-331 questions

jmoylan69

Hello all, I purchased a 1952 M35 in excellent condition for a mere 400 bucks. Now my questions are thus:

1. The manuals that pertain to Multi-fuel vehicles, will that be applicable to my truck?
2. Who on this forum knows of a parts place that sells the military parts that are NOT stupidly overpriced?
3. With regard to #1, the question more appropriately means, with exception to the engine, would procedures and parts listings be the same on the chassis etc?

I have checked Clark Truck, Idaho Motor Pool and Boyce Equipment, eastern surplus etc. I'm curious if there may be any places in Arizona, New Mexico, Las Vegas, and California places that anyone might know of?

waayfast

Welcome to the site from Salmon River country.You will find lots of knowledge about these trucks with these folks.That being said, most on here are multi-fuel owners with a small number of gasser drivers such as me.

There are a few differences-sheet metal,transmission etc that ARE different with the early trucks-gassers from the multi's.But manuals seem to be easy to get so when buying or downloading just look for the older trucks manuals.You can go to Jtonka's site and download manuals for free- not sure if he has the gasser stuff, I have't looked myself.

I have purchased from Alex at Idaho Motorpool since he is close(well 110 miles is considered close out here in the west anyway).He is great to work with but admittedly does not stock a lot of gasser engine stuff.He pointed me to Antelope Valley Equipment and Truck Parts in So. California. I had good luck with them and prices I thought were more than reasonable.

Hope any of this helps and BTW,nopics

Jim

jmoylan69

Thanks Tigger for the reply. Good manuals are pricey for just about anything. the one in ur avatar, is that your 53? how well do you like the gas over the diesel? I've thought about converting to diesel but people I know tell me that if I can live with it being a tad less efficient in MPG to leave it alone and keep it STOCK. from what I read online here, i think most folks would agree with that. you?

jmoylan69

and thank you for the reply. thats awesome, im about an hour west of ELKO, NV. so im pretty close to IMP ...."i think". ??

A buddy of mine that i got the gasser from is good friends with mark boyce at boyce equipment. but i also don't want to offend anybody here and realized that my post about stupidly over priced might do it. LOL. i mean like charging a hundred bucks for a stinkin temp guage, things like that.

i'll check out your info and thanks again. i'd love to see pics of your gasser as well. im new to these types of sites and must say I am completely BLOWN AWAY by how many people love these trucks. I thought i was some sort of strange nut bag. I guess im in good hands huH??

thanks again.

Joe

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Thanks Tigger for the reply. Good manuals are pricey for just about anything. the one in ur avatar, is that your 53? how well do you like the gas over the diesel? I've thought about converting to diesel but people I know tell me that if I can live with it being a tad less efficient in MPG to leave it alone and keep it STOCK. from what I read online here, i think most folks would agree with that. you?
Yep thats the one. i dont have it running yet working on the carb at the moment. Have to work outside and winter was not nice this year! I like the gasser and want to keep it as is. I dont care how slow it is , if i wanted fast i would not have gotten it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers and thanks for stepping up and requesting basic research material. I just sent you a PM with a link that should prove helpful. Manuals you should look out for is the TM 9-2320-209-10 but it has to be the 1965 version. The later ones are for the multifuels. The TM 9-2320-209-20 of the same era is also good to have, it's a maintenance manual. The motherload of manuals you need for your truck though is TM 9-8022. It's older but very detailed. As far as maintenance, most of the stuff in the newer manuals will be the same except engine and some electronics.

Gasser parts close to you??? See if you can find a link to Antelope Valley Truck Parts. They are fair to deal with, have a good supply of gasser stuff and won't gouge out your eyeballs. Sam Winer Motors in Akron OH has some decent prices on gasser stuff as well. My favorite for any parts deuce, has to be White Owl in Kinston NC. Not in your AO but you won't find a better group of folks with a better inventory than the gang at White Owl. If they can't get it, it hasn't been made yet.

Last edited:

jmoylan69

Ok that makes perfect sense to me. I got mine for originally heading out into nomans land to get firewood. now im looking at it from a standpoint of climbing that hill because I **** sure dont want to walk up it. LOL

jmoylan69

Welcome to Steel Soldiers and thanks for stepping up and requesting basic research material. I just sent you a PM with a link that should prove helpful. Manuals you should look out for is the TM 9-2320-209-10 but it has to be the 1965 version. The later ones are for the multifuels. The TM 9-2320-209-20 of the same era is also good to have, it's a maintenance manual. The motherload of manuals you need for your truck though is TM 9-8022. It's older but very detailed. As far as maintenance, most of the stuff in the newer manuals will be the same except engine and some electronics.

Gasser parts close to you??? See if you can find a link to Antelope Valley Truck Parts. They are fair to deal with, have a good supply of gasser stuff and won't gouge out your eyeballs. Sam Winer Motors in Akron OH has some decent prices on gasser stuff as well. My favorite for any parts deuce, has to be White Owl in Kinston NC. Not in your AO but you won't find a better group of folks with a better inventory than the gang at White Owl. If they can't get it, it hasn't been made yet.
ok I like it!!

And again i just checked out Jatonka's site. i think im going to be buying some seat covers from him....SOON!!

and thanks for that manual number. on my particular truck. thats helps alot. I think what posts i've gotten so far is enough for now. I am not affraid of doing my own leg work. but i've never owned one of these nor knew where to start...at least at this point I can dig up the rest.

I'll post some pics when I get it home this week.

jmoylan69

oh, i would like to get thoughts about converting it to one of the diesels when this motor takes a crap. vs rebuilding etc.

and this 1952 model, the exhaust does not run up the fender, it runs under neath to the right side by the duals, that correct?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny thing. Some folks on their first post are requesting all kinds of crazy stuff and it just turns off the masses here. When someone comes along that actually wants to learn and not be told what to do, everyone tries to step up. A great percentage of the members here will go out of their way to teach you how to fish. Not many are going to give you fish unless your fishing pole gets stolen.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

jmoylan69

recovery, i would tend to agree. i run into the same type of thing with legal questions. Im a paralegal and I get people asking me the wildest things about half a dozen topics that not one has anything to do with the other but if you listen to them they "gotta know it NOW". and when that happens i usually don't respond. so in a way i think i can understand what your talking about. I could imagine the thoughts running through your mind if I came here saying something like. ...."hey i just bought this thing but its too big. i want to make it a 4x4, with a crew cab and change the gas out ot a diesel....oh yeah and install a coffee pot for the winter and a draft beer tap for the summer......who can help me"? I'd never respond!!! LOL

jmoylan69

and changing gas out to diesel is only a mere thought. I have no idea about parts availability for engine rebuilds. so the thought was worse case scenario, cant get parts, but the multi fuels are here and perhaps I can swap when the time comes. THATS IT!! im not the type to take a good machine and chop, cut, hack and weld simply because im board!

waayfast

I think by the time you found a multi-fuel engine,got it home, plus all the other stuff you normally don't take into consideration when doing a swap like this,you could just buy a Multi-fuel truck from someone here on the site and not spend a fortune in time dinkin with it.
I'm betting you could possibly have less money in a complete truck than you would after buying(and chasing down)all the goodies needed for the change.Just easier to keep the gasser a gasser.Besides, parts are available for a rebuild if need be.

Thats why mine is still a gasser and the multifuel engine I bought at an auction is still sitting in the can out in the yard8).

oh, and BTW this kinda explains why you will end up with more than just one:cookoo:-you are doomed!:twisted:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Portrayal Press has the EARLY manuals. Kenny is right, the 1965 manuals cover both gassers and multi's. Antelope Valley and JATONKA have alot of gasser stuff. Memphis Equipment has almost anything for a gasser too, but you're going to pay for it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks