• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 ReoM35 gasser electrical question

Tilyn52

I just purchased a 52 M35, looks to be pretty nice shape. I ordered a tech manual, waiting for it to arrive. Wondering on battery hookup, is the entire truck 24 volt or just starting system? Lots of cables in battery box but no batteries. I'm new to the 6x6, work on trucks everyday but this is lots more interesting.

Kaiser67M715

One cable to ground, a jumper between batteries, two off positive, one goes to starter the other to dash(or alternated/generator then dash, can't remember)

If there are two more, most likely those will go to a slave plug, used for jump starting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tilyn52

Thanks for the good info.There is the one going to ground and 6 other large cables routed into the box . Two go to what appear to be ford style relays/ solonoids on the firewall . Look to be fairly modern, not sure for what they were added.

Tilyn52

Thanks. I have been looking at them, lots of good info. Still trying to get it to fire. No spark. Coil checks good. Filed the points to clean them up. Maybe it's a cranking speed issue. Seems s bit slow with the batteries I have.

Kaiser67M715

Idle is only 450, mine cranks over at what sounds like 200 rpm.

Did you check for spark at the cap? Maybe wires are bad. There is the 8022 manual, I'll try and find the info and get it posted, gives you some step by steps to diagnose no spark. There are three or four condenser/capacitors in the distributor, so it is harder to diagnose a no spark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tilyn52

I will check the wires. That would be much appreciated. I'm trying to get familiar with the manuals on this site, trying to figure out where the info is. I seen those in the distributor but wasn't sure on how to test or there function. I did test the points condenser with an analog meter like I have for years and it seemed ok.

rustystud

I will check the wires. That would be much appreciated. I'm trying to get familiar with the manuals on this site, trying to figure out where the info is. I seen those in the distributor but wasn't sure on how to test or there function. I did test the points condenser with an analog meter like I have for years and it seemed ok.
The problem with testing a condenser with just an analog meter is you cannot test the charge. You need an actual condenser tester. The last time I priced one out they where over $300.00 . The best thing to do is just replace it with a known good one.

tobyS

You might look into an electronic conversion. They seem to make them for about everything. I'm going to change my 73 F600 sometime to get rid of the points that always seem to need work.

ralbelt

I was assigned a 52 reo when I was supply sgt back in the 70's. Ran great until I let another guy drive her to camp. He left the parking brake up an put the transfer case in low, went about 20 miles on major roads trying to keep up with the convoy till the engine blew. Take care of Her.

Barrman

I never found a 8022 manual online. The pre 1964 TM for the m35 covers gasser and multifuels. I have used both to figure stuff out on my gasser.

Tilyn52

Found out a big reason why she won't run, no compression. Finally got spark, points were grounded . Got fuel pump working. Would crank and kinda fire, try to run. So decided to do a compression check. 120 on 1, 0 on 2 and 3, 80 on 4, 120 on 5 and 0 on 6. Have not pulled rocker covers yet. Are rebuild parts available for this motor. Or look for a good takeout or convert to multifuel? Found a running multifuel for 750, have not researched on here yet how big a deal it is to changeover.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Found out a big reason why she won't run, no compression. Finally got spark, points were grounded . Got fuel pump working. Would crank and kinda fire, try to run. So decided to do a compression check. 120 on 1, 0 on 2 and 3, 80 on 4, 120 on 5 and 0 on 6. Have not pulled rocker covers yet. Are rebuild parts available for this motor. Or look for a good takeout or convert to multifuel? Found a running multifuel for 750, have not researched on here yet how big a deal it is to changeover.
Yes, parts are available for the gas engine. Not only from surplus dealers, but also commercial sources (aka NAPA) - the engine is a REO OA-331, which was also used in commercial applications.

As far as the gas to Multifuel conversion (and I know that there are several on hear that will disagree) - if you are planning on just riding around, the gas is the way to go. You can actually drive down the road and have a conversation, something you can't do in a Multifuel. On the other hand, the Multiifuel is easily started all the time, every time....and some folks like the noise.

Hope this helps!

David Doyle
www.DavidDoyleBooks.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks