• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 Studebaker V18A/MTQ

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took it to mean he didn't want it pushing him around too much on the trip. Braking would not "improve", but traction should, which would eliminate possible wheel lock-up, thus "improving" braking. Whether traction is really an issue when flat towing a deuce with another, I've never seen nor heard it to be either.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Without looking it up - I'd venture to say the weight of the towed vehicle in this instance will be a ton or more than the towing vehicle. Remember when packing your spares that the V18 has 11.00-20 tires, not 9.00-20 like the M35A2.

Once again - Congrats on a very cool truck!

Regards,
David Doyle

JDToumanian

Remember when packing your spares that the V18 has 11.00-20 tires, not 9.00-20 like the M35A2.
Thanks for the heads up David... I didn't know that! I'll have to make sure it has a spare. If not I'll try to pick up one before hand. With singles on the rear I don't want to be stuck just because of a flat.

Jon, not sure I understand the need for additional weight "to improve" braking, traction shouldn't be an issue.
I've haven't used my towbar yet, so I hve no experience with how the trucks will handle... I guess I got a little paranoid after reading about some of Kenny's (and others') harrowing towbar tales. But now I remember that those were stories of light vehicles, like pickup trucks, towing deuces... I had remembered Kenny advising transferring as much weight from the towed vehicle to the towing vehicle as possible, but if it's not necessary when a deuce tows a deuce I won't bother.

As for rebuilding the wheel cylinders... that's quite necessary, as I've got three that leak pretty good now. I should have done it when I serviced my bearings... live and learn!

Regards,
Jon

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The steel wheels of the V18A/MTQ are also different from the ones on the M35A2 (offset differs) - but are the same as the common M135. I've flat towed a 18000 lb deuce with a 12000 deuce a hundred miles or so - including through Memphis city traffic without incident. Biggest problem (other than SHARP turns) is changing lanes - invariably some bozo doesn't realize that the second vehicle is in tow.

Make sure that your pintle hook has its cotter pin!

DD

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All my wheels have the offset for wider trac. Not important for a spare, as a matter of fact, you can mix 1100's and 900's as long as the rear axles are not coupled by the inter axle drive shaft.
Since you run duals on your deuce, you have plenty of spares, IMHO.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Having never tried this - I am purely curious - but would mixing 9.00 - 20 and 11.00 - 20 on the steering axle affect the tracking/cornering?

JDToumanian

All my wheels have the offset for wider trac. Not important for a spare, as a matter of fact, you can mix 1100's and 900's as long as the rear axles are not coupled by the inter axle drive shaft. Since you run duals on your deuce, you have plenty of spares, IMHO.
That's good to know! I plan to remove the front and rear output shafts from the transfer case for the trip home... I'll remove the inter axle shaft if I have to put a deuce wheel on there.

I suppose if I get a flat on one of the fronts and have no 11.00-20 spare, I should put one of the 11.00s from the rear to the front and put the 9.00 on the rear...

Make sure that your pintle hook has its cotter pin!
My truck was missing it's cotter pin, but replacing it was a project I recently completed, including new chain and drilling out the old drive pin. I did it right after I bought the towbar, as the potential dangers were not lost on me. It took a lot of calls and footwork just to find the 1/4" x 5" long cotter pin... Almost embarassing to take up someone's time at a bolt shop, then they say, 'That'll be $0.65 please.'

Regards,
Jon

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jon, removing all those drive shafts can be a pain. I pull the rear axle shafts and front drive flanges when I tow. Nothing turns but the bearings. You can cover the rears with a piece of cardboard or what I do is install the removed front drive flanges on the back. Drips a little oil here and there but beats crawling around on your back and you can knock the bolts off with the impact and deuce air.

JDToumanian

Actually I like that idea Kenny. If I want to be 'slick', I could make up some cardboard covers and use an axle shaft gasket as a template to cut holes for the bolts...

Jon

JDToumanian

Well, I got my phone call today - I've been waiting very patiently, but finally the "title conflict" has been resolved, and that means an MV road trip is at hand. With cash in pocket and towbar and tools in the bed, a friend and I will head to San Luis Obispo in my deuce this coming monday, March 3rd.

I figure on leaving at 7am... and making the 200 miles in 4-1/2 hours including fuel and food stops. A few hours to hitch up the new truck and load up the included accessories, as well as B.S. with a fella at the campus who has turned out to be a WWII MV buff (and the V-18A/MTQ's "guardian angel" over the years), and we should be back on the road by 2pm. I figure we'll have a somewhat slower time heading back, but I should still be home by 8pm.

And in order that this thread not become worthless, I will of course bring my camera. 8)

Regards,
Jon

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a good trip Jon!
Mapquest tells me that it's a 275 mile trip each way, so your timing may be off some. Figure 12-14 hours for the driving and if you have to drive after dark, get reflective tape at the very least for the towed vehicle.... or maybe you know a shortcut. :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jey Jon, considering the weight of the V18, do you plan on moving anything from it to your deuce to help balance out the weight? Also, are you going to remove driveshafts or pull the axle shafts/drive flanges? Pics are a must. have fun and keep us posted.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice Truck! I'm building a pole barn, think I can borrow it? [thumbzup] I think the 3000 mile drive would kill me AND my wallet!

Good luck and be safe! Remember, there are a lot of stupid people out there with drivers licenses... :drool:

Oh, and watch out for buildings jumping in front of you! the evil devils! aua

JDToumanian

Mapquest tells me that it's a 275 mile trip each way, so your timing may be off some.
Man, how did I screw that up? My memory must be going, I swear it was just under 200 miles each way! I want to avoid driving through Los Angeles, so my route will be to go up Hwy. 395 to the 58, and take that all the way to the 101. My map program also shows that as my shortest route at 260 miles. Thanks for the heads up Bjorn, I'll plan for a longer day...

if you have to drive after dark, get reflective tape at the very least for the towed vehicle
I've rigged up a set of magnetic towing lights using an old trailer wiring harness and 24 volt bulbs... Works great, and I've got enough wire to reach to the back of the towed truck, so I figured that was good enough for lights...

considering the weight of the V18, do you plan on moving anything from it to your deuce to help balance out the weight?
I thought the consensus was that it wasn't required? I hadn't planned on it... but I can. The augers and tools probably add up to 300+lbs, and the front winch and it's drive shaft are not attached so they can be put in the deuce as well. Do you think I should do more than that?

Regards,
Jon

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dunno Jon. You probably wouldn't need to but after my near jack knife in JAX many years ago, I'm paranoid. Granted I was dragging a deuce with my pickup. I would say anything loose you have to pick up, I'd toss in the bed of the driver.

No.2Diesel

Totally Dawsome :eek: You could drill holes in so many things... People's heads etc. It sounds like a long day. Don't get hit with the sleepies behind the wheel. Hope everything works out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks