• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 xm211 vin location

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. The story is high reverse should never be used...even without the reb shifter. That is the story. High reverse is just plain weak. There are many accounts to back it up. The transmission is probably the most common failure point in these trucks. It is a car transmission built up for a 12,000 empty weight truck. Simply getting in a hurry and not coming to a complete stop before shifting into high reverse can wipe out a transmission. Put a bolt in the slot so you (or your helper) can't get it in high reverse.

Thanks for sharing your placards and paperwork!

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so does anybody know why high reverse shouldn't be used with the REB shifter?
We jumped all over your thread like it was a trampoline....and added some real historical info so thanks for carrying the conversation forward.

If you don't have spare transmissions laying around, avoid high reverse. We'll check to see if we can find more facts on it.

I know that High Reverse was considered weak but how it related to the REB I'm not sure. The REB guys will chime in. I use my high reverse, SuperDave uses his, Goat and Gizmo teams both use high reverse when conditions are right...but the beer is strong up here! My transmission is worn out so I needed to see what it would take before it got real tired. We'll tear it apart soon and see what happened.

In the non-REB auto, the shifting is "throttle conscious" ......even says it in the manual. If I'm all the way to the floor, the transmission won't shift until maximum RPM is reached by the screaming 302.

At half throttle, or working the throttle, a good pilot can be a little smoother but nothing like having the REB. Really looking forward to pics and vids of your truck once you're ready.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My understanding is the REB kits came out to solve a problem and give the driver more control over shifting. Engine braking and slippery down hill surfaces in Korea have been cited. I'm told the high reverse failures were identified and a bolt was included in the REB kit and during service as well.
Yes, I too run in high reverse. I'm very careful to come to a complete stop and carry no load... I don't always practice what I preach, but I would hate to give someone bad advice! ;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks