• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 530 B Reo Engine Related... What is this????

neil2007

Hey all!

I've started trying to get the 530B going again... While trying to get the fuel system up to par last night I found a valve that I'm not familiar with... I think it may have something to do with the heater, but I'm not sure.

Anyone recognize the valve in the picture?

ALSO ON A DIFFERENT ITEM....

I was also under the truck last night looking around and taking stock of what I have to work with and found a metal line that didn't go to anything anymore. (SORRY no pics of this yet...:roll: I'll try to describe it to the best of my ability.

The line in question appears to be about an 8" or so long, 1/8" metal line (Looks like a brake line) but it traces back to the main air line that goes to the brake master cylinder assembly. It's located sitting on a T that is on what appears to be the main air line going to the master cylinder assembly (I believe this is called the airpak??!?!) which goes from the driverside to the passengerside along the crossmember where the battery cables run from side to side (remember this is a Firetruck with the dual battery banks).

I'm sure it's not too important and probably goes to an old non-existant gauge or something, but I'd like to identify it and rule out the fact that someone could have removed an important part of the braking system or something along time ago since it has been siting for a few years...

THE GOOD NEWS... I was able to get fuel up to the carb and it did crank over... Didn't get it to fire yet which is good because of a pretty good fuel leak at the fuel filter... Gonna get a new one this week end and plumb new lines because I don't like the fact that where the leak was it was right over top of the exhaust manifold... which obviously has some gaskets that have fallen out over the last few years....

Any help on identifying these items is, as always, greatly appreciated!

LateR!

Neil

Attachments

Barrman

I believe you are right about the engine mounted thingy. It was part of some rigged up heater system. Below is a picture of may parts truck engine all stock. I can't find a good picture of my running Gasser.

I would suggest the loose line underneath goes to the brake master cylinder cap.

Attachments

neil2007

Barrman said:
I believe you are right about the engine mounted thingy. It was part of some rigged up heater system.
The more I look (and think) about it ( yeah... I know... the second part about me thinking... is kinda scary...) the heater is a factory heater (being a fire truck) and the heater plumbing is all there already. Could this valve be for an easier method of flushing the coolant maybe?

Below is a picture of may parts truck engine all stock. I can't find a good picture of my running Gasser.
Thanks for the pic... It'll serve as excellent reference for when I dig into cleaning up and repairing whatever engine stuff needs fixed.

I would suggest the loose line underneath goes to the brake master cylinder cap.
Heres a stupid question.... Wheres the master cylinder cap at? I will admit, I haven't really looked for it, but I didn't see anything obvious when I was under the truck last night... (it was kinda almost dusk....)

Thanks!

Neil

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
those things look almost prehistoric!!! for what it is worth for you gasser fans, clark truck parts has new front fenders...........

Barrman

There is a hatch in the cab floor between the drivers seat and the pedals. Open it up and look down. The brake master cylinder is down there. The cap is a screw in pipe fitting looking thing. It should have a hole on the top/side for a 3/16 sized or so vent line.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
All the 530 fire trucks came with hot water personnel heaters. NONE of those heaters were the standard military hot water personnel heater, but rather were unique to the fire trucks. The fire truck incorporates a heat exchanger with is used to keep the water in the tank from freezing (this too is different from the one on the M50 water tanker). I believe that is what you are seeing. Portrayal Press sells reprints of the TM for the gasser 530B fire trucks - and it would be well worth your money to buy same.

Regards,
David Doyle

Barrman

Thanks for the information about the heaters David.

Here is a shot taken today of my running OA331. Not much different than the other picture above, but at least it is a little cleaner.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks