• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 gas M35 - bobbed

My brother and I just just purchased a project M35. When I say my brother and I, what I mean is my non-mechanically inclined brother bought this truck, knowing I would be doing all the mechanical labor on it. The win for me is, once he gets bored with it, I'll buy the project from him and finish it. Works out nice for both of us. :cool: This will be the first truck of this kind for both of us, so we're both excited.

It's a 1953 Studebaker built M35 with a gas Reo engine. It runs and drives, but we don't know what shape the engine is in or the brakes, lighting, etc. We won't actually get it to his house until next week as the previous owner only had a single 12V battery to try and start it. We'll pick up a pair of 12 volt batteries this week and start it on 24 volt next week. Towing it home, but I'd like to be able to move it around on it's own power to park it.

Body is very nice, no rust, just a couple of minor dings in the M105 bed. The engine and drive train are complete. The wiring has been messed with a bit and a few OE switches are missing or replaced with generic aftermarket switches. I can't call the additions a 'rat's nest', as most of the OE wiring is intact, but the additions aren't done to what I would expect for a quality install.

We'll be going through the brakes and electrical, then check out the engine. Probably drop the pan and check the bearings, compression check, etc. I don't want him driving this until I feel it will do what it's supposed to do and bring him home safe every time. No rush. This isn't going to be a long term project, but I'm not trying to get it back on the road in the next three months either. A friend offered us a set of 42" tires with wheels, so we will probably go that route. Hard to keep a straight face and say we're going to keep a 'bobber' original, but that's pretty much the way the rest of the truck will look.

Here are a few pics of the truck when purchased.

IMAG6441.jpgIMAG6442.jpgIMG_0319_2.jpgIMG_0320.jpgIMG_0322.jpgIMG_0323.jpgIMAG6438.jpgIMAG6440.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I have to add, this website and forum were invaluable in helping us look at and evaluate this truck. I've spent hours pouring over the wealth of information and messages relating to this truck. I was able to evaluate the truck, determine its condition and content, and you helped me make an informed decision to purchase. Thanks for all your help! :grin:[thumbzup]

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well welcome to green iron madness!

Since the truck has been hacked up already, I'd be tempted to drop another powerplant in there, but it could be cool with the stock motor too, tough call. Post up what you find once you get her home.

Yeah, I would have preferred an unmolested truck, but you work with what you have. My original thought was a later model diesel, but I've decided to stick with the original engine and drive train, less the missing axle of course. This truck was scandalously inexpensive, so we would have been crazy not to buy it.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I would have preferred an unmolested truck, but you work with what you have. My original thought was a later model diesel, but I've decided to stick with the original engine and drive train, less the missing axle of course. This truck was scandalously inexpensive, so we would have been crazy not to buy it.
You may possibly find someone with a truck that hasn't been neutered, who plans to lop off an axle, and trade them with some cash (call it $3k) your way.... you get $ and a complete truck, they get a "bobber"....

Definitely something to think about for the future. For the present though, I'm very happy we have the truck we have because it's such a nice foundation to start from. I'm looking forward to getting my feet wet on this truck and learning the quirks and details of these trucks. Once I get this truck cleaned up and safely on the road, I'd like to look into a newer original and unmodified M35. Right now, it's time to combine fun with an education.

Thanks for the welcome gimpyrobb, and thanks for the great idea 98G!

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

Plus with being in Ca, you get huge fees to tag a truck with 3 axles vs 2(from what I've read). So your not doing too bad...

gimpyrobb

Lots of folks not in Ca don't realize that issue.

Lots of folks don't like to see 6x6s turned into 4x4s(me included), but i believe in being reasonable about your options. It makes sense in your state. I have a buddy that lives on an island here in Ohio, it cost $900 to use the ferry as a 6x but less than $100 for a 4x. Guess what he did to his deuce. You have to do whats best for you.

I agree completely. I would never turn a 6X6 into a 4X4, and we weren't looking for a 4X4. That being said though, with the price of the truck and its condition, we would have been crazy not to buy it. I've had bar tabs that were bigger than the cost of this truck.

Now that we own it though, we're going to treat it like it's part of the family. It's in excellent condition, and worthy of our time and efforts. I may get a different truck later but right now, this is the truck for us. Of course, we won't scoff at cheaper fees either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks