• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 GMC X M211 prospective purchase

teletech

Not too far from me there is a nice looking (in pics anyway) Cadillac Deuce.
It's smaller than what I really want/need (5-ton) but pretty and the price seems right.

I have questions...

Just how rare are these?
Since the transmission is special, does it go bad and if so, what then?
How are they to drive and tow with vs. M35?

Anything else I should know?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They have a small, underpowered engine (302 CMC gasser), if your comparing it to the M35A2, multifuel. I had one tranny go bad, many years ago, and converted it to a 5 speed. My other one has a shifting glitch between 2 & 3, but never let me down. I still have both of these, "running when parked". I drove both, all over the North country, in every kind of weather imaginable, & hauled hellacious loads, when I didn't know I was going slow. The T-Case has a neutral, so you can tow it. They are set up better, then the M35. No boots, CV hubs, great vent system, two hydraulic cylinder per wheel. Great snorkel system. There is a lot of good to be said about the auto tranny. They are great trucks!

crazycasey

If you're talking about the one I'm selling (I am also not too far away from you, and I just lowered my price) I'm throwing in an extra transmission from a running/driving truck. If you're not talking about my truck, I'd be willing to sell my spare transmission to you.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could go on for hours about all the good things on the early deuce so lets rant instead.
It's very rare to see one on the road. Parts in the transmission are not being re-produced and they are very similar to a 1950's farm tractor for pulling power.
They'll pull a house at a crawl but are not built for our current highways with a screaming in-line 6 that struggles to maintain 58mph, empty.

If they haven't been re-built, they are old enough to expect a complete tear-down and re-build before being introduced to public roads.

Maintenance and inspections for a 60 year old, 12,000 lb truck are an oily, greasy responsibility. Bolt torques can exceed 300psi, then add rust.

Some of the other heavy hazards we've read about that can cause problems or death are,

- Park brake assembly can crack, detonate and take out brake lines while on the move. Check for cracks, signs of heat.
- Worn, loose or missing steering components (cotter pin) have come apart while in motion. Check for play and tolerances.
- Single circuit brake system. Hydraulic brakes are inoperable if any component in the entire brake system spills fluid. This can occur with a single stroke of the brake pedal. Check condition of entire brake system. Plan on re-build.
- Frame cracking at suspension mounts can occur if not landed properly after a flight. Inspect frame/ suspension. G-meters should have been installed in these trucks.

Expected challenges

- All 50's rubber has a conditional life expectancy. Everything from tires to window seals, axle/ brake/ air / fuel system seals and the coating on the wiring harness could be rotten.
- Differentials tend to seep which could be venting issues, parts wear issues or that little piece of cork that holds it all together.
- Diminishing parts availability, Mufflers, fuel pumps, exhaust manifolds, steering wheels are difficult to find, hidden or gone.
- Air/hydraulic cylinder collects water and rusts, even under high maintenance, especially in extreme climates.
- Original Air tanks are very old and are asked to hold 90-120 psi. after possibly collecting water and rusting.
- NOS parts that are available are often dried and shrunk beyond use.

It's not much different than re-building any 1950's era semi-trailer truck and putting it on the road. It's best if you already have a 6 ton jack, heavy stands, air compressor, heavy duty mechanic skills, big tools, specialty installer/replacer tools and a place to work on it where you're appreciated.

Even new MV trucks, when properly maintained, have huge maintenance demands. Add 60 years of metal fatigue and antiquity to any potentially flown, landed, dropped and thrashed 6x6 and the safety responsibilities and risks keep going up.

You'll certainly enjoy the ride as long as a guy knows going in, it's a great big elephant with arthritis that needs special care. The G749 series of trucks must be a leader in "abandoned MV restoration projects" and I wish you luck with your decisions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks