• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 m104 ???

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF1700.jpgDSCF1702.jpgDSCF1701.jpgDSCF1703.jpgDSCF1704.jpgDSCF1706.jpgDSCF1707.jpgDSCF1708.jpgDSCF1709.jpgDSCF1717.jpg A question for the trailer experts, what is it. I found this Fruehauf M104 trailer dated 10-53 in Yerington, NV., out in front of a restaurant doing duty as a sign holder. I'm no trailer expert, but I've never seen an M104 quite like this one. It has retractable struts on all 4 corners, and storage/tool boxes inside the bed. The bed does not have dual tail gates like an M104, only the single tail gate at the rear. It does have the 8 bolt axle bearing covers, and the parking brake handles are at the front of the frame. The sides are not M104, but M105 fiberglass sides, with aluminum bows. I would like to know exactly what this trailer is before I make an offer......thx.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the carpenters trailer had tool boxes like that. Don't recall about the corner jacks but they seem likely. The carpenters trailer had a big saw on tracks that pulled out towards the rear. Again, I don't completely recall but the carpenter trailer may have been the one with tge liftgate.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the carpenters trailer had tool boxes like that. Don't recall about the corner jacks but they seem likely. The carpenters trailer had a big saw on tracks that pulled out towards the rear. Again, I don't completely recall but the carpenter trailer may have been the one with tge liftgate.
Recovry4x4. Thanks for the Carpenters Trailer info. I'll check the archives and internet and see where they lead. I like the tool boxes, they look like good storage for smaller items I take to the M/V meets.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think that's an M104 data plate on something else, like an M105 / carpenters trailer.

The M104 has a front gate, different parking brake handles and different landing gear. See:

http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m104_trailer.php

id_m104_trailer_700_01.jpg

If you forced me, I'd guess that's actually an amalgamation of different trailers. The boxes look like they're out of a carpenters trailer........... but the carpenters trailers I'm familiar with had a hydraulic liftgate.

DCP_0029.JPGDCP_0030.JPG

You can see the rest on Papercu's excellent album: http://imageevent.com/wharris19/militarytrucks/militarytrailers/lifttrailer

So I'm not sure if there is an M105 that has those 4 corner jacks that doesn't have a liftgate, or if the liftgate has been stolen from yours.

But it's likely not an M104.

Also: Cgarbee's M104: http://garbee.net/~cabell/m35pages/m35photos7.htm

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks