• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 M135 Rebuild Project.

tlmob1

Here are some pics of my truck bed. This is the first time in over 20 years that the inside of the bed saw daylite. I was excited to find the truck hood number on the back side of the tailgate. This hurdle is now behind me. I can now put it back on the hood after I get it painted.:):razz:

Attachments

tlmob1

There is some repair that needs to be done as well as a good rinse job to remove all the dirt and grass groth. I was able to loosen all bu 2 screws on the tail lites. On the brake light 2 screws broke of inside. Time to drill and tap. Will have to look for a replacement light just in case.:)

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't lose the side rack metal pieces. Looks like I see a metal top bow. Are the bows metal?

Nice job on the pictures!

Last edited:

tlmob1

Those are the troop seats and back. I have all of them. The wood was so rotten that I found a painted metal piece with bolts, but have no idea where it goes. I'll take a pic in the daylite and then post it.

tlmob1

Went and bought 2 batteries for my duece. Good news is that the motor was turning over. Bad news, it wasn't starting. I filled the carb bowl, tomorrow I'll open it bac up and re fill it and pour some down the carb to see if it will start.[thumbzup]

tlmob1

Catman came over to assist and train me in the art of being a duece mechanic. He and I worked on the distributor and points. We now have spark in the points. He's going to clean up the plugs, while I recharge my new batteries. The 550 cca turns the motor over slow compared to car starters. I'm going to check with napa to see if the carry miltary plugs. I'll price out the points while I'm there. I also, have to look for a gasket set for my carb. A couple of the paper and rubber gaskets are no good. I'll have to look for spark plug wires at some point. Does anyone know where I can get NOS or new Battery cables?:)

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tune up G749

Last time I saw Catman he had a glass of wine in his hand and a grin from ear to ear singin' Hotel California. Well........ it's the last time I remember seeing him.

When you find an appropriate gauge battery cable wire, you can cut it to length and put your own ends on it to make it look real clean under the hood. Unless you're going to compete in shows with this truck, battery cables are going to be built by you.

When you get SSpark plug wires (or any parts) post a part number for us. I still give my parts needs list to a small town (Spruce Grove Parts Stop) vendor and he's found nearly everything EXCEPT for the rubber valve cover gasket. It helps to share "CURRENT" part numbers.

Brian Asbury has most of that gear as well.

If you get Catman under a hood and don't get pictures of the work, or the parts or Catman, or Catman doing work on the parts, I'll fart right in this computer.

This thread is somewhat less informative without photographs!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll turn the smell down.

If you watch Ebay and search g749 you will find wires and a carb rebuild kit. Are you sure the wires are bad? you may be able to touch the plugs with a sandblaster to get them cleaned up enough to get her started and running good.

Carb kit $20-30
Plug wires $60
I know, I know, it is not the right way, but it works for us fiscally challenged.

tlmob1

With the spark plug wires the rubber insulation is dry rotted and falling off exposing the wire mesh underneith. At some point I'll have to change them out.

Stan Leschert

Now would be the time! These pigs are too big to push home!
Wires are not free, unless you can raid a good junk yard.

Not having to call a Wrecker to drag your butt back home is rewarding.
I know how tough it is to push these buggers,

I am trying not to get caught again.

And NO, That story will NOT get posted here.

SturmTyger380

I had some where it looked like they broke in two. But it was really the rubber outer cover and the wire mesh. The core wire was still good. So the truck should run but yes time to replace.

tlmob1

Great news. CatMan came over this morning and brought the spark plugs. He did an awesome job cleaning up the plugs. They looked brand new. We installed them and hooked up a electric inline fuel pump straight to the carb. After a few turns the old truck fired up. I was happier than pigs in slop. I drove it around the yard for a little bit. The truck moved forward and reverse. I had a grin from ear to ear.:D After I got back from daughter and my dental appts I took my daughter and my wife for a little ride in the duece. My daughter was so excited that she didn't want to get out.

tlmob1

The only brakes that I have now is the hand parking brake. Here's a pic of catman under the hood. I fabricated the brush guard on the drivers side headlight. It felt great to drive the duece. I can say this is the first time driving one. I'm going to play with it this weekend. I'm going to drive it around my 11 acres in the field. My 16 year old son wants to drive it as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

SturmTyger380

In the next two weeks I hope to crank mine as well. The carburetor is cleaned but not yet together on my work bench. The air cleaner needs another going over and then mounting back on the firewall. Then I will get to the plugs and wires.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
White Un trucks

Great picture of the mechanic in the Catman pose. I see where he gets his name.

The M135 is the only vehicle I drove in the bush without brakes. We were careful and respected hills and stopping distances and never really pushed it......
We select low range, point it down hill and she'll crawl and climb all day at 2mph.

If the hand brake is enough to hold it during a catastrophic failure up hill or down hill, you're laughing.

Operating equipment without all the safe guards in place is not safe or recommended. Learning how to operate a vehicle that has no brakes, in my honest opinion, is a life saver. If you can drive without brakes, you can drive on ice! You have fun out there and get some video, she's a nice truck and we deserve to see more of it.

Do you have any history on it?

Is it possible it did UN duty like the ones in the link?

Cyprus 1974 - Post Invasion | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks