• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 M37 Good & Bad

desert demon

Finally got me a couple of batteries yesterday and got to tinker on the Demon.The good stuff is the starter turns over good,all lights work in side and out,the wireing seems to be in pretty good shape,and all gauges work.The bad stuff is when i did a compression test the number two cylinder had only twent psi in it.The other ones had zero.The second test i did was puored oil in the plug holes and numbers one two and four came up to one twenty.Three five and six still zero.Pretty sure its time four a rebuild.Even though im from the back woods of Arkansas i can read and even better with pictures LOL I was wondering what TM i need for the rebuild on the two thirty flat head six?And was wondering if any one else has rebuilt this motor if ya wouldnt mind telling me how much it was for the rebuild.Every thing being new.My other option is i have a friend that has a BT4 that he said he would work a deal on me with.Was all so wondering what the cost would be on an engine swap of this sort.Motor,transmission,T case drive line isues exc exc.Any ideals on this would be great.Once again awsome site here and great people :beer:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zero compression means valves stuck open, not worn out engine. If you take the engine to the machine shop and say "rebuild it to new", they will happily throw away perfectly good parts because you told them to. Start by pulling the head (easy) and see what is going on inside the cylinders. Heavy ring groove and wall scoring will be indications of needing a rebuild. If the valves are stuck open, soak the guides in lube and tap the valves shut as you crank the engine. After a while they will close again when they should. Then reassemble and see how she runs.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And while you have the head off, be sure to check it for flat. They have a tendency to warp some. If you do a rebuild, or just do an in frame valve job, put NEW guides in it. They are cheap and easy to do - don't knerl them. Go new on the guides.

98taco3

Just had mine machined and bought parts about 5 months ago. im right at 1600 bucks to do it right including the harder to get parts like the water tube. That does include all of the parts. Costs big bucks to do it right although my engine required quite a bit of machining. Shop is also the best in the area and proud of their work. Try soaking the valves in some ATF and see if they pop loose.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the 4bt, over 5 grand, doing it yourself. High dollar engine and high dollar transmission, if done right. Adapters and driveshafts, etc. all add up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks