• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 M37 stripped crankcase drain plug

Lenny

Hi Guys
I tried to drop the oil this morning just like I've been doing for the past 33 years. However this time I put the 1/2 inch drive into the drain plug and stripped it out. We tried using a cold chisel and a good sharp pair of vise grips on it. The cold chisel just sliced metal off the rim of the plug and the vise grips although initially on pretty good slipped off once we really reefed on it. We could not budge it. Does anyone know of a way to get this out without removing the oil pan? Thanks for any advice. Lenny

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try hammering a straight allen wrench of appropriate size into plug then remove!
Or you can sacrifice a extension put it in plug hole and weld 4 small beads on flats and presto!

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lenny

The thought of welding something, like the sawed off head of a hardened bolt for instance, did occur to me but I was a bit afraid of subjecting the bottom of the crankcase and the oil to that kind of heat. Also the bottom pf the truck is pretty greasy, especially the outside of the oil pan and I as concerned about starting a fire. But I guess that we could take some precautions if you thing this would work I do like your idea of using the extension. It would fit down into the hole and in theory provide better support for the four welds. It might even allow for us to make them smaller as well. Then I could hopefully remove the plug with a pipe wrench. We have a Mig. Do you think that would be a better choice that a standard welder?

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just clean off the grease on outside for about a 4" diameter with a degreaser. If you use a socket extension inserted it wont take much to weld it permanently. I would use a mig on a lower setting (don't need to go nuclear;) ) put 4 quick beads letting it sit a couple mins in between each one and there won't be enough heat to do any damage. Then put your wratchet on and off she'll come!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even with 4 quick stick welds the heat shouldn't be enough to matter the oil will absorb most of the heat . Let it cool slowly and sit for a bit to cool fully, the heat from the weld may help loosen the plug.

Lenny

Great advice. Thanks a lot! I'm going to try it this coming week. Does anyone know if Chrysler used this type of plug on their civilian flat head sixes? I was wondering if I could get a replacement OEM type plug from a parts store. I think that variations of this engine were made for something like thirty years. Or I suppose that if it does come out I could touch up the welds and leave the abortion in there, (at least until the next military show anyway). Lenny

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great advice. Thanks a lot! I'm going to try it this coming week. Does anyone know if Chrysler used this type of plug on their civilian flat head sixes? I was wondering if I could get a replacement OEM type plug from a parts store. I think that variations of this engine were made for something like thirty years. Or I suppose that if it does come out I could touch up the welds and leave the abortion in there, (at least until the next military show anyway). Lenny
Should be a common plug , a lot transmissions and differentials used the same type plug.

Lenny

I have one other question about the welding. I'm not a welder. My experience with it just gets me by. I mentioned this thread to my son who has the mig and he was saying that it might be difficult to weld good tool steel to the remains of this plug. Something about the superior metal composition of the tool steel. I certainly don't mind using a Craftsman as a sacrificial lamb but on the other hand I would hate to try to use a Harbor Freight quality (or lack thereof)extension and have the **** thing crumble on me as soon as I reef on it. Any thoughts on that? Thanks, Lenny

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just stick the 1/2 " drive bar stock into the plug and give it a guick weld on all sides. Let cool a bit and wrench it out.

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like ^he said stick it in and weld you will be fine. I've done it many of times. Really don't need to get crazy with the welds.

Lenny

So I wanted to get back to you guys as to how this worked out. My other boy came over and wanted to take a look at this situation before we tried any welding. He asked me for a brass drift and a small sledge hammer. Meanwhile figuring that he was just wasting his time I went into the shop to sharpen the cold chisel. I came back out and he had the plug loose and partially tightened back in so as not to lose the oil until I warmed it up to drop it. I couldn't believe it.

It seems that when I previously got on the plug with the vise grips and subsequently slipped off I left teeth marks on the small shoulder of the plug. These bit into the softer brass drift and so when he hit it, it spun the plug loose. I'm the old man who's supposed to know this stuff but sometimes it takes a boy, (well not really,he's 35) with a fresh set of eyes to see how to do it.

Now if anyone can help me with a civilian part number for this OEM plug I would be very grateful. The local Chrysler dealer can't seem to find anything on this. Thanks, Lenny

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks