• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 M37 USMC Radio Truck

martinwcox

I was fortunate enough to acquire this just before winter, always liked the look of the M37 so when this came along I could not resist.

Was just finished after a 3 year frame off restoration and complete mechanical rebuild.

It was and always was a USMC truck, during the restoration an analysis of all the holes in the bed, was found to match up with the antenna mounts and radio gear, which is fully operational.

M37_2.jpgM37_1.jpg

I did manage to drive it in the Boston, MA veterans day parade before winter set in.

Martin.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm surprised he sold it. I heard he was planning on making it a m42 by making the map table and adding windows to a top

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a very nicely restored truck! He did a great job on the truck and radios.

Do all the radios work? If you have a HAM license you can actually use them (some channels, anyway).

Did the Marine Corps have the Command Truck variation? I thought that was an Army only kit.

BTW, there are actually 2 fender mounted cab heaters for the truck; a fuel-fired Arctic heater and an engine coolant heater (which is what is on the truck in the photo).

martinwcox

That is a very nicely restored truck! He did a great job on the truck and radios.

Do all the radios work? If you have a HAM license you can actually use them (some channels, anyway).

Did the Marine Corps have the Command Truck variation? I thought that was an Army only kit.

BTW, there are actually 2 fender mounted cab heaters for the truck; a fuel-fired Arctic heater and an engine coolant heater (which is what is on the truck in the photo).
All the radios work, my ham call is KD1EO, so yes will have a go and see if I can work any DX ;)

The truck came with a document detailing how the radio equipment was to be fitted to a stock truck.

M37_Radio_2.jpgM37_Radio_1.jpg

Sorry, not very good pic's, a great document to have, never seen one before.

Martin.

martinwcox

Thanks for the info re the heaters.

I am pretty new to the M37 but trying to learn all I can and this forum is a godsend.

The trucks serial# on the hood is a real number from a truck in a photograph that was hit by an RPG I was told.

The aim of the restoration was to make sure it was authentic and original as possible, even the paddlock on the side bins are US Gov issue and period correct.

I take no credit for any of this other than giving it a good home.

Martin.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a beautifully restored truck. I hope you enjoy driving it and I'm sure that people will enjoy seeing it at shows.

I've had my M-37 / M-42 for about 35 years now and restored it twice. I have all the earlier "Boat Anchor" radio systems for the truck (A/N GRC-3, -5, -7) and a few others which I am restoring to put in the bed. I also have the complete set of the Command Truck Kit items. Mine is an Army truck (with a couple of Marine Corps parts), but if there are any manuals you need information from, or you have any questions that you think I might be able to answer, just PM me. I'll gladly help if I can.

Hope you enjoy your new truck!

BTW, I'm sure the folks over at G741 would love to see the pictures of your truck.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice truck!

Slightly off topic, if you saw the Marine V-22 Osprey at the Quonset Point show, my son was one of the aircrew. :)

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks