• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 M38A1 assistance

frasyo

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum here. I recently came into possession of a 1953 M38A1 and see that this forum will be a great resource for me. I don't have a lot of information about the jeep but was told that is was running a few years ago before it was parked. We were not able to start the jeep but were able to jump start it and confirm that it does run and drive. Now my goal is to go through it a bit to make sure everything is in order.

My first questions are around the electrical system. I have seen that many of these jeeps have been converted to 12v although I'm not exactly sure how to check that.

It came with an extra starter which is an Auto-Lite 24V-DC, Spec No. MIL-S-3785. I assume that this is the same model that is installed on the jeep now but I need to confirm that. I also notice that there is a large (about the size of the starter itself) box that says "Auto-Lite" that is wired in prior to the starter. Does this confirm that the jeep is running 24V or not necessarily?

My first goal is to get this thing to start reliably but I want to make sure I am not causing electrical issues.

Any help or advice would really be appreciated!

Last edited:

Saberr

Pictures. Bats go in series. jeep not car :). If it has 2 bats, then its 24v. From firewall it goes starter, then voltage control box, then generator.

frasyo

1953 M32A1 Help

Pictures. Bats go in series. jeep not car :). If it has 2 bats, then its 24v. From firewall it goes starter, then voltage control box, then generator.
Great, thank you! This is a good start. Fixed the 'car' part. Attached are a few pics.

Also - I was told that the previous owner thought that this was an M38 but I haven't confirmed that. Can you tell from the picture? I'll look for a vin when I get back to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TGP (IL)

Great, thank you! This is a good start. Fixed the 'car' part. Attached are a few pics.

Also - I was told that the previous owner thought that this was an M38 but I haven't confirmed that. Can you tell from the picture? I'll look for a vin when I get back to it.

It appears to be a M38A1

There should be ID tags on the starter,Generator and Voltage Reg. box check and see ?
They will indicate 24Volts if there original.
If not may indicate 12volts.
Pictures of the engine will help.
Welcome!
Tom

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site hobby friendships and events to come. It will not take too long to restore your vehicle to the (green) military look. Keep it original and 24 volt. better starting and battery longevity. Try to post up some pictures direct to the site.

Saberr

Yes, that is an m38a1. You CAN NOT mix an m38 and m38a1 up. The m38 has flat fenders, and angles sharply inward body right before engine bay, basically it looks like ww2 jeep. Just to help with vin, the only place left for you would be on the tire well, right behinds the passanger seat, only other place may be the engine block behind fan, on the flat block piece, they may not match if engine been replaced. Also if you going original, you have to replace your fenders, wrong year. Also looks like it's been mod for a key start. Looks good though, looking forward to pics of the engine bay.

frasyo

1953 M38A1 Help

I posted engine pictures above. The starter says 24v. I haven't quite been able to make out the writing on the voltage control box or generator yet.

There is also a small box bolted on the firewall on the right side, you can see this in the pics and I took a close up of it. It looks like it says 12v on one side.

Any idea on if this thing is wired as 12 or 24v?

It didn't come with any batteries and the previous owner wasn't sure. If it is 24v, which batteries would you recommend buying for this?

Thanks again for all the help here!

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have correct original 24 volt Auto-lite starter, distributor, 25 amp generator, and voltage regulator. No idea what the white thing is. I think group 51R is the only battery that will fit in the battery box which is designed for the military 2HN battery.

frasyo

You have correct original 24 volt Auto-lite starter, distributor, 25 amp generator, and voltage regulator. No idea what the white thing is. I think group 51R is the only battery that will fit in the battery box which is designed for the military 2HN battery.
Awesome, thanks. So two 51R size batteries wired in series?

The white thing looks like it goes to the radio and accessories. Not sure why it says 12v.

When we first got it, we put a single 12v battery in it. It wouldnt start on its own but it did bump start while towing it and it drove after that, so I know it runs. So now, if I get the two batteries in wired in series, and it still doesn't crank on its own, what should I check first?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome, thanks. So two 51R size batteries wired in series?

The white thing looks like it goes to the radio and accessories. Not sure why it says 12v.

When we first got it, we put a single 12v battery in it. It wouldnt start on its own but it did bump start while towing it and it drove after that, so I know it runs. So now, if I get the two batteries in wired in series, and it still doesn't crank on its own, what should I check first?

It will crank with two 12 volt batteries in series for 24 volts. 12 volts is too little. I bet that single 12 volt battery was bubbling real good after being charged with 24 volts!

frasyo

1953 M38A1 Help

Appreciate all of the help guys!! I will report back with how it goes. Excited to get this thing back on the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks