• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 v-17a/mtq maint & tel.const. w/wn

STG SLINGER

hey I just bought this truck dont know a whole lot about it just heard that it was fairly rare. that they started production in 1953 not sure if thats the truth. this one is a 1953 like i said i dont know a whole lot about it. just trying ro get some ideas of the value of the truck etc.. it has a wench in front and rear and does not run. in fact there is no motor in it. your input it appreciated.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The G742 series started production in late 1949. The telephone trucks are pretty rare. It would have been a 331 gasser.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. Yup they are rare, only made them in the 50's. Since the OA331 gas engine is missing, now would be a good time to drop a multifuel LD465 in it, with rear exit exhaust and muffler. You should have the 11.00-20 singles with the sought-after backspaced wheels. Good luck with it and hope you build it. No telling what it is worth running and driving, it is a very useful truck with the rear gin pole set up and all that tool storage.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking about running 11.00s singled in my deuce. How much is the VA wheel offset different?
This thread is 4 years old so you might not get an answer but I'm giddy with goose bumps that you brought it back to life. Any picture of a Civil Defense truck is super rare and GOLD in my mind so thanks for digging it up.

Just WOW....... super rare photo. If you find any more of those, bump them my way and I'll save a piece of Alberta beef for you next time you're up here!!!

Here's a link to the Canadian, virtual museum http://civildefencemuseum.ca/

.......and the American Museum http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How would you like to look at this pic on GL and see what showed up in the background. FYI they did sell on GL and brought good money. Scrap was way up at the time....sadly.

Attachments

DavidWymore

There's one in the trucking yard next to my shop, as well as a compressor truck. They've been donated to the Patton Museum at Chiriaco Summit, CA, but still need transported there.