• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1954 M37 Distributor help needed

UnimogMike

I have 1954 M37 that has been converted by some one and I need to get new distributor cap and rotor for it. It still has flat head six engine with 12 v distributor and non resistor 12 v coil.
I am trying to replace cap and rotor, but have no way of knowing what Napa part numbers to use.

Please help

Mike

Blake

M37 distrib cap

It all depends on what series/part number distributor is in your truck. Take a look at it and post back what series yours is so I can get you a rotor number. For the cap (most popular series listed below):

IAD or IGC series: Napa Echlin AL63
IAP or IAO series: Napa Echlin AL98
IBR or IAT or IAY series: Napa Echlin AL106

UnimogMike

Thank you, I will take a look and post it.
Also would you happen to know the firing order of the flat head cylinders?

Thank you again

Mike

Carter

TM 9-8030 lists the firing order as 1,5,3,6,2,4, it was not marked on my trucks cyl. head or the spare I have although I have seen it on some heads.

SasquatchSanta

Napa Part Nrs:
Dist Cap = AL 106
Condenser = AL 869
Rotor = AL 107
Points = CS 719A

If the truck has a standard M37 motor the oil pump should have been changed when the military distributor was replaced with a civilian distributor. The milirary style oil pump has an offset notch that receives an offset distributor drive shaft dog. The civilian distributor is not offset. With the military arrangement the distributor will only go in one way therefore you can't get the timeing 180 degrees off.

When you use a civilian distributor with a military oil pump it will knock out the distributor bearings. The reason I mention this is because it is one of those things that will give you fits.

Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks