• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1954 Studabaker REO rear window

rustystud

Does anyone know where I can find the rear window and molding for my 1954 M35A1 Studebaker REO ? I've looked everywhere (well not literally everywhere but close !) and can not find them ! I might just end up going with "plexi-glass" for the window, but that still leaves the molding. I've bought several moldings from suppliers all over but none match or even come close. You need the correct molding or your window will not fit properly in the hole. I suppose if I end up using the plexi-glass I can just make the window bigger, but that would be a pain trying to find the correct size.
So again if anyone can help that would be great !

rustystud

Should have the same sliding window as much more current trucks.
No, it's about 8.5" tall and 21" long. The newer slider window is 11" wide by 29" long. Also the cab supports are closer together so you cannot cut out the window hole larger without cutting off the cab supports. I bought a NOS sliding window but now cannot mount it due to those supports. So I need the "original" rear window and molding.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
No, it's about 8.5" tall and 21" long. The newer slider window is 11" wide by 29" long. Also the cab supports are closer together so you cannot cut out the window hole larger without cutting off the cab supports. I bought a NOS sliding window but now cannot mount it due to those supports. So I need the "original" rear window and molding.
What year is your hardtop? Original to the truck?
I've got a 1953 hardtop and the window seemed to be the same as the NOS ones from the 2000s, although I haven't measured them. I'll have to check that tomorrow.

diesel583

I've got the same size window in my 55 IHC 5 ton. The truck is a Zelligson conversion. I've known the truck since the 60's the top may be original. The window is one piece does not slide. Any automotive glass shop should be able to fix you up including the molding, mine is just a rubber gasket.

nattieleather

Yep what diesel583 said. Take what you have to a good glass shop and they should be able to replicate it molding and all. Remember to have laminated glass put in. Same glass that is used on the windshields.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
What year is your hardtop? Original to the truck?
I've got a 1953 hardtop and the window seemed to be the same as the NOS ones from the 2000s, although I haven't measured them. I'll have to check that tomorrow.
I checked my 1953 air force hard top and it's got the "larger" window, about 11"x29" and the same as every other deuce hardtop I've owned.

rustystud

I've got the same size window in my 55 IHC 5 ton. The truck is a Zelligson conversion. I've known the truck since the 60's the top may be original. The window is one piece does not slide. Any automotive glass shop should be able to fix you up including the molding, mine is just a rubber gasket.
Actually no. Most automotive glass shops use premade windows and cannot cut any glass that is laminated. I've been down this road now for two years looking. Also the molding is totally outdated and no longer used. I've tried every shop and store from NAPA to Summit racing. From "specialty" glass shops for "rods" to your everyday automotive glass shop. I have about 10 different moldings sitting here and all are wrong. As far as being different, all three of my 1954 Studebaker REO's have this same rear window. Here I was thinking I would save myself some money by using the hard top off one of my REO's to mount to my 1988 M35A2 Deuce. Lesson learned I guess. I think I will just find the best match to the molding and have a piece of "plexiglass" cut to fit.

67Beast

Actually no. Most automotive glass shops use premade windows and cannot cut any glass that is laminated. I've been down this road now for two years looking. Also the molding is totally outdated and no longer used. I've tried every shop and store from NAPA to Summit racing. From "specialty" glass shops for "rods" to your everyday automotive glass shop. I have about 10 different moldings sitting here and all are wrong. As far as being different, all three of my 1954 Studebaker REO's have this same rear window. Here I was thinking I would save myself some money by using the hard top off one of my REO's to mount to my 1988 M35A2 Deuce. Lesson learned I guess. I think I will just find the best match to the molding and have a piece of "plexiglass" cut to fit.
Sounds like you need to find a better glass shop. I have had several local glass shops cut laminated glass in-house for several different Military vehicle projects I was working on. Heck one even came to my house to re-cut a new piece of glass for the windshield in my M725 when the one he had pre-cut at the shop didn't fit like he wanted it to.

rustystud

Sounds like you need to find a better glass shop. I have had several local glass shops cut laminated glass in-house for several different Military vehicle projects I was working on. Heck one even came to my house to re-cut a new piece of glass for the windshield in my M725 when the one he had pre-cut at the shop didn't fit like he wanted it to.
I've called all the ones here on the Eastside (Bellevue, Kirkland, Woodinville, Renton, Kenmore) and a ton in Seattle proper. All said the same thing.

rustystud

001.jpg002.jpg

Here's a side by side of the two rear windows. I own three 1952 REO's (I was wrong about the dates ) . All came from different people. This one I installed on my 1988 deuce was from an Air-Force Decontamination Unit. All original. The cab supports are about 4 inches from the edge of the glass which places them right on the metal frames of the new window. All the cab tops are the same. So either the government had a bunch of vehicles retrofitted by some strange company or that was the way they originally came and the newer tops where installed on the other M35A1's later on. I could reuse this glass though it is showing signs of delaminating if only I could find the proper molding. The last and closest one I bought has about 1/2" clearance from side to side when installed.

67Beast

I've called all the ones here on the Eastside (Bellevue, Kirkland, Woodinville, Renton, Kenmore) and a ton in Seattle proper. All said the same thing.
Maybe call a hot rod shop and ask if they know anyone who does custom cut glass. I can't believe that no one in the Pacific northwest cuts laminated glass, around here most every shop that I know of can do it.

nattieleather

Automotive glass shops like Safelite yes you are correct they can't do anything old or outside their box. They have to purchase and sell to you a premade glass. But and all around glass shop that does both home and auto should be able to take care of you. I use to work for the local Glass Doctor franchise here in Cleveland and we would cut laminate glass for back hoes and dump trucks all the time. If you have a Glass Doctor franchise in your neck of the woods I'd recommend you give them a call. If not try a glass shop that does home and businesses because laminate glass is also used in storm doors and commercial doors as safety glass so they should be able to make a new one for you.

rustystud

Automotive glass shops like Safelite yes you are correct they can't do anything old or outside their box. They have to purchase and sell to you a premade glass. But and all around glass shop that does both home and auto should be able to take care of you. I use to work for the local Glass Doctor franchise here in Cleveland and we would cut laminate glass for back hoes and dump trucks all the time. If you have a Glass Doctor franchise in your neck of the woods I'd recommend you give them a call. If not try a glass shop that does home and businesses because laminate glass is also used in storm doors and commercial doors as safety glass so they should be able to make a new one for you.
Maybe I will try the "home glass" people then. I went to several "hot rod" shops and they all said the same thing. They don't cut laminated glass. Also no one knew where I could find that molding.

rustystud

011.jpg Here's a picture of my rear window. You can see the cab supports are just inches away from the edge of the opening, so there is no way to cut a larger hole for the new style window.

ReoRider

You might check with Peninsula Glass Co., Vancouver, WA (360-892-2029). They made up a perfect rear replacement window for my M916A1 with an added sliding opening feature. Quality product and good service.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks