• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1955 International R-160 4x4 ... Navy Crash Truck

nhp1127

Hello All,

Not sure where to post this. I recently purchased a 1955 International R-160 4x4 Brush Fire Truck. It is a 1 1/2 ton factory 4x4, one of 920 made. It came with old vehicle registrations from the Athens, ME Volunteer Fire Dept and the Maine Forestry Service. While preparing for new paint, we were sanding on the drivers side door and discovered "US NAVY" markings on it. It appears this was originally a crash fire truck with the Navy and then transferred to the Athens VT Fire Dept in 1966. The truck must have had some sort of pumper tank on the rear as it has a factory rear PTO.

My question is does anyone have any info on a Navy truck like this? Also, we are restoring it to its original Harvester red color (was painted green by forestry service) and would like to know what the correct navy numbers would be for a vehicle like this. It has a working siren and flashing roof light. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks, Niels

Attachments

Last edited:

nhp1127

Thanks for the nice feedback. I'll post pics when it is done which should be a couple of weeks..... FYI, here are a few pics of my 1954 International R-140 1 1/4 ton factory 4x4 Pickup. This is one of the biggest pickup trucks made and like the R-160, has 6.17 gearing so it with pull anything. It was a snow plow with Trinity County, Eureka, Ca. One of 940 made... it is stock and not lifted. I am 6'4 so you can see how tall it is....

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking forward to watching your truck progress. It's a beautiful machine.

This is my buddy's restoration-underway truck. It's a later model than yours, but shows what one Navy IH fire truck looked like, and the data plate shows how the Navy registration number was written out.

Yes, I modified the serial number and engine number; it's not my truck, so I thought it polite to not show those without permission. ;)

The truck is a 1968, and came off Naval Air Station Corpus Christi. He got it through a fire department, who had already obliterated the original Navy markings, unfortunately.
The Chif-fil-a markings on the doors are just magnets, he uses the truck as advertising for his restaurant.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:
Navy Fire Truck

Hello All,

Not sure where to post this. I recently purchased a 1955 International R-160 4x4 Brush Fire Truck. It is a 1 1/2 ton factory 4x4, one of 920 made. It came with old vehicle registrations from the Athens, ME Volunteer Fire Dept and the Maine Forestry Service. While preparing for new paint, we were sanding on the drivers side door and discovered "US NAVY" markings on it. It appears this was originally a crash fire truck with the Navy and then transferred to the Athens VT Fire Dept in 1966. The truck must have had some sort of pumper tank on the rear as it has a factory rear PTO.

My question is does anyone have any info on a Navy truck like this? Also, we are restoring it to its original Harvester red color (was painted green by forestry service) and would like to know what the correct navy numbers would be for a vehicle like this. It has a working siren and flashing roof light. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks, Niels
Nice to see other military hardware out there! I don't want to hijack your thread I just want to mention something that might help.
I have a 1957 International fire truck chassis that was used in Saint John's Newfoundland on an Canadian armed Forces base, and ended up in New Brunswick. When I removed the front bumper, there were military stenciled numbers on the frame ends. and the frame was also a camo paint shade, not primer. I wanted to post my truck here, but wasn't sure it would "fit" on this site. Now, seeing your truck here, I just may do it. Mine is a lot bigger chassis, but had the same cab type with a huge gas engine, and is also 4x4. I have two 1950 cabs I will use to make one good one. If anyone is interested, I'll post some pictures. ​ hope this has been some help.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1957 International fire truck chassis that was used in Saint John's Newfoundland on an Canadian armed Forces base, and ended up in New Brunswick. When I removed the front bumper, there were military stenciled numbers on the frame ends. and the frame was also a camo paint shade, not primer. I wanted to post my truck here, but wasn't sure it would "fit" on this site.
Sounds like an MV to me! Lets see it. ;)

Cheers

I will be posting pictures soon. Also a video on UT. Here is a picture I found on the net to show what it was like when in one piece, not how it looked at the scrap yard.There was no cab on it, and the pumper body was scrapped and pump sold for the brass (1500 pounds worth!!!) I managed to get the original radiator, and other parts, and am rebuilding the water pump at this time. I'm going to make it a "military wrecker" and o.d. it!! Will look super when done.

.5399004989_b32831b72e_o.jpg

nhp1127

Here are a few updated pics of the truck. All body panels have been painted in the original "International Harvester Red" color. We used Imron which is a heavy duty aircraft paint. The fenders,(running boards, bumper and grill guard are powercoated the original gloss black) still need to be assembled, hopefully in the next week or so..... frame rails are being undercoated black tomorrow.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks