• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1956 M62 MOTOR SWAP

GILBERT2020

HEY ALL, 1ST TIME HERE POSTING BUT LONG TIME READER OVER THE YEARS. JUST BOUGHT AN 1956 M62. IM SUPER PROUD OF HER ALREADY. PLAN TO SPEND THE NEXT FEW YEARS BRINGING HER BACK TO LIFE.

PLAN TO START ON THE MOTOR 1ST. SHE HAS A LDS 465 1A MULTIFUEL IN IT CURRENTLY (IT DOES RUN). LOOKING ABOUT MAYBE PUTTING A 290 CUMMINS IN IT, ANYONE REALLY HAVE A IDEA OF WHAT DIESEL WILL GO IN HER EASY? I DONT WANT TO GO THE DD6-71 ROUTE OR MACK. I REALLY WANT SOMETHING THAT HAS PARTS EASY TO GET AND IS A GOOD MOTOR.

ANYONE GOT SOME PRICELESS ADVICE FOR ME HERE?

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
HEY ALL, 1ST TIME HERE POSTING BUT LONG TIME READER OVER THE YEARS. JUST BOUGHT AN 1956 M62. IM SUPER PROUD OF HER ALREADY. PLAN TO SPEND THE NEXT FEW YEARS BRINGING HER BACK TO LIFE.

PLAN TO START ON THE MOTOR 1ST. SHE HAS A LDS 465 1A MULTIFUEL IN IT CURRENTLY (IT DOES RUN). LOOKING ABOUT MAYBE PUTTING A 290 CUMMINS IN IT, ANYONE REALLY HAVE A IDEA OF WHAT DIESEL WILL GO IN HER EASY? I DONT WANT TO GO THE DD6-71 ROUTE OR MACK. I REALLY WANT SOMETHING THAT HAS PARTS EASY TO GET AND IS A GOOD MOTOR.

ANYONE GOT SOME PRICELESS ADVICE FOR ME HERE?
DT466 is the cheapest and most reliable route.

Next would be a 8.3 if you could find one in a wrecked complete truck

GILBERT2020

Having a hard time finding a shop whiling to pull my old LDS and install another motor. No one seems whiling to do the job because they have little/no knowledge of the trucks.

the diesel shop I’ve used for years I really thought would be up to it, but no go…

anyone know of anybody in the Missouri/Arkansas/Kansas area whiling to take on this kinda job?

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SHE HAS A LDS 465 1A MULTIFUEL IN IT CURRENTLY (IT DOES RUN). LOOKING ABOUT MAYBE PUTTING A 290 CUMMINS IN IT
Any 855 cummins is too long for the M39-series 5-tons. Can be done but I would think it's a lot of work. I am not a fan of the DT466 except when they are in a farm tractor, but they are a good motor. It should do a very good job in your wrecker due to the military gearing. Nowadays it's likely your best choice, being better than any military multifuel engine and an easy one to find and get parts for .. Might sound crazy but I wish our M62(A2) still had its original gas engine

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks