• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1958 Machine shop Deuce

CTP

Here is a project I am working on. I have painted and started cleaning up this 1958 machine shop truck. The star locations and size have been identified thru sanding and revealing the original placements. We never knew they were there before this. What do you think? I also put one on the hood. I feel the doors might also have had stars but we're not sure because maybe they had been replaced at some point. This is a completely outfitted truck. It have the full canvas tent setup with poles for both sides also. Can't be many like it. Ever seen one? I certainly am not a military vehicle expert. I'm not sure of the model number. You can see in the last photo the stencil of the original markings on the bumper. Any info on this?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The later 5 ton versions of that truck are called "SEORTM" or "Shop Equipment Organizational Repair Truck Mounted". Not sure if that earlier deuce mounted version was called that as well. The chassis would be called M46. Very nice survivor! Kudos to you for preserving it!

Guyfang

Staff member
The later 5 ton versions of that truck are called "SEORTM" or "Shop Equipment Organizational Repair Truck Mounted". Not sure if that earlier deuce mounted version was called that as well. The chassis would be called M46. Very nice survivor! Kudos to you for preserving it!
We always called it, "The Bat Mobile".

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a slightly more modern M944A1 in Marshall VA at Jeff Symanski's Tactical Truck yard. Been for sale for some time. Not in as nice of shape, but it's a great start for someone who wants a gull wing shop van. BDGR

HDN

Funny that this comes up - at a party this past weekend I was telling one of my guests how I'd love to have a machine shop truck. I know about the 5-ton SEORTM, but I had no idea that a 2 1/2-ton version existed. I thought the M109 shop vans were it, but it looks like that this is it! Very cool! Though I wonder how much the box and kit weigh... Probably pushing the limits on the chassis! There's a reason why the Army started putting these things on 5-ton chassis :p

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny that this comes up - at a party this past weekend I was telling one of my guests how I'd love to have a machine shop truck. I know about the 5-ton SEORTM, but I had no idea that a 2 1/2-ton version existed. I thought the M109 shop vans were it, but it looks like that this is it! Very cool! Though I wonder how much the box and kit weigh... Probably pushing the limits on the chassis! There's a reason why the Army started putting these things on 5-ton chassis :p
There's very few of these. They almost immediately put them on 5 ton chassis.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks