• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1960 M38A1 dana 25 Front Axle shaft Removal

scottgs

I'm confused too. I thought you were trying to pull the axle shafts, but now it looks like you are tearing down other stuff? Why are you trying to remove the king pins?

Just to recap basic steps to remove the axle shafts:

1. Remove brake drum, outer axle flanges (or locking hubs). You've done this.

2. Remove outer spindle nut (hub bearing nut), locking washer, and inner spindle nut. This is where you got stuck and started posting here, right?
Did you get this done? Did you remove these two big nuts and washer?

3. Remove the complete hub assembly and bearings
Did you remove the hub and bearings ok?

4. Unbolt brake backing plate and spindle and remove the spindle.
Did you remove the spindle?

5. Pull out the axle shafts
Obviously, you didn't get this done...

I think what is frustrating is why you are proceeding to take apart stuff which you don't need to take apart, but yet you haven't done what you should yet. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, it's just confusing, and it discourages anyone spending any more time to help. Also, I don't think it really matters whether it's a model 25 or 30 axle, I think they both come apart the same as far as removing the axle shafts are concerned. You are trying to pull the axle shafts right?

MAYBE the problem is that some diagrams incorrectly call the king pin (or swivel) a "spindle" ? Is that the problem? is this why you are trying to remove the king pins? You don't need to do this to take out the axles.

When we say "spindle", we are referring to the large part which the axle end comes out of, the one in the picture in post #16 above.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/m38-m3...5-front-axle-shaft-removal-2.html#post1251740

You've got to get these spindles off to remove the axle shafts. The shafts (with U-joint) come out the big hole covered by the spindles. That's why they must come off. There is no other option. There's no other way they will come out.

BillF

Once again this is a Dana 25, not a 30. if it was a 30 then I would just watch the you tube video on how to go about this however being that this is Dana 25/CJ open knuckle. I was trying to ascertain how to go about this with out having to buying a manual. I see that your a Moderator and I hope that i am fallowing the rules and guide lines when i say if you have nothing positive to say do not say nothing at all. Thank you.
I know a lot about jeeps. You do not have a dana 25 you have a dana 30. You jeep looks to be a cj5 but the photos are really poor. This should help you with the tear down Moses Ludel's 4WD Mechanix Magazine - How-to: Dana 30 Axle Rebuild