• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1961 - 800 Series 5 - Ton found in Iraq

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt it's a true 1961 model as I don't think those were produced until 1969, but a decent truck nonetheless!

ida34

Probably 71. They did not make them until 69 or so like has already been stated. I would not say it is hard getting parts. The fact that so many are coming out surplus right now means there is a lot of stuff out there to buy. The fenders are pretty hard to find though.

ArmyGuRu

The thing is, we don't want to spend money on something we cant take home with us. We just saw it, and figured we would try to get it running, so we don't have to walk.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But try to remember where he is. Maybe it's easy to find parts here in the states, from junked trucks and rigs in the DRMO system, but maybe the logistical system is no longer supporting the parts and part numbers he needs in the Middle East. The military is planning on phasing the 800 series out by 2010. The newer trucks get priority, and this truck was found in a junkyard OVER THERE.

ArmyGuRu, good news on bringing that old soldier back to life! Hope she helps you out over there in the sandbox. I fear, though, that considering the overall condition of the truck, and the fact that it is pretty old, that it will not be coming back home. :(

ArmyGuRu

ok, this is the data plate info:

Truck Van, 5 Ton 6x6 XM820 wo/w
Kaiser Jeep Corp.
ID: 05D-36670-C129-10037

Can anyone get the year of manufacture with this info?

And maybe a history?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
That is a typical FOB Rocket. When I was in Iraq there were many dueces and five tons running around being used by indiviual Soldiers as their personal ride on the FOB since they could not be taken off the FOB due to no armor. It is strange that it was still there as KBR has been working with DLA to scrap most of the ones the Iraqi Army did not take. I know that there was trouble getting locals to take the scrap as the terrorist bast(*& would kill them for working with us. Have fun and wear your goggles with those windows being gone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks