• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1962 Ford M151

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just picked up one of the most original M151s I've come across. It's rust free (except a small hole show in pictures below) and has original paint and markings. It's a 2nd Armor Mutt (please confirm). One interesting item about this jeep is that it has a steel plate bolted to the rear floor (covers most of rear area). I've read about units putting a load on the rear suspension with a large steel plate or ammo cans filled with sand in the rear. The plate is painted the same OD as the jeep and is original to it. I will need to do a good steam clean of the vehicle as it has years and years of "gunk" on it. What would be the best way to clean it without damaging the markings? The missing parts in the pictures (rear drive shaft, gauges, etc) come with the Mutt. I'm only going to clean it up and keep it original as possible. I'm going to try to either tig weld some seat back springs if that does not work, I'll cut the backs off and tig weld an A2 seat back on it, provided the safety strap loop is the same. I welcome your thoughts and comments...... (been working on this deal for several weeks)

I do have a set of mag rims for it too, going to need to see if I can make them look like the same patenia as the rest of the jeep, but more than likely, I'll leave her as she is b/c that's the way she left the service.

Red Lightning Bolt..... (unit insignia?)

Only rust hole....

can anyone tell me which unit?

3dAngus

There's going to be about 10,000 guys on here saying, "Why couldn't I find something like that!"

Nice find. Wish it were me.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1965 called. They want their M151 back.

I would wash it with a mild bristle brush and soapy water. A pressure washer will peel too much paint.

Agreed, this is too original to do a restoration.

m38inmaine

Nice find, I agree with the hand wash, much safer and keep her as is. It has managed somehow to retain all the early M151 features, sweet.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct, it looks like your M151 was part of the 2nd Armored Division, that's the 2 and the triangle on the left bumperette. Normally the number after the division would indicate the brigade or division separate under the DIV HQ, but the "426" doesn't match anything I can find for units within the 2d Armored. On the right side that looks like a "HQ", which means it was assigned to the headquarters element of a battalion of higher. Is there anything else under that strap on the left?

Last edited:

nattieleather

Is the motor free? I see you have a spark plug out. Nice find! One in a million. Give me your lottery numbers cause you've used up all your good luck...:lol:

vic pitts

Like everyone on here already said, " Great Find" I retired with 24 1/2 years and armor all the time except a couple of times with CAV units. I also did a tour in Germany with the 2nd Armored Division (FWD) BDE but don't recall. this type of markings On drivers side, it does look like 2nd Arm. and either 426 or maybe an A26 ? On the right it is a Headquarters marking and maybe a 6 meaning if it was, I t had been a commanders vehicle at one time and by the looks if it it is possible because the higher ranks vehicles got better care. My 2nd tour in Korea 1973-74, I was PSG 3rd Plt. C Trp 4/7th CAV and we had 4 gun jeeps in our platoon and 5 counting the platoon leaders. We didn't have windshields, no heters, naturally no type of canvas covers and there was a pedestal mounted on the floor just behind the seat like the plate on the floor on your vehicle. So, it could be possible it was a commanders vehicle and with a machine gun mount for an M60 machine gun.

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The mutt finally arrived today. The markings on the rear are actually 142S, so that would make it 142 Signal. WIll post pictures tmw.. i ment later today since it's 2AMhere.

Whiterabbit

Oh you gott'a nice one! You lucky dog.
I've seen sig units use a lighting bolt emblem before when I was in Germany in the late '80s. Was too drunk the rest of the time to remember much more than that!:beer:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HQ6 142S makes it the battalion commander's M151 of the 142d Signal Battalion, which was the division signal battalion for the 2nd Armored division. Both were deactivated in 1995-96

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks